Author Topic: Achtung Baby Interview with Lanois  (Read 401 times)

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
Achtung Baby Interview with Lanois
« on: November 19, 2018, 06:09:17 AM »
Came across this again.  This is the interview I was trying to find when the Eno/Lanois discussion came up some time back. Interesting.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Re: Achtung Baby Interview with Lanois
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 06:47:55 AM »
It is obvious that the young man in the interview is out of his depth.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 07:35:35 AM »
It is obvious that the young man in the interview is out of his depth.

Hmmm.  I thought he did a great job of asking the question and then shutting up so Lanois could talk.  His only job was to start a conversation.  But okay, he’s not the subject of the post so good enough.  Thanks and cheers!

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 07:43:03 AM »
Argh, I wrote a whole reply, pushed the wrong button and killed it. But will drag up these two points in brief:

Liked what he said about when they get to the top of one mountain they can now see another they didn't know existed.

And the interviewer seems polarizing but I liked him. Liked his questions and prefer subjects get the space to muse through their answers.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 07:45:22 AM »
The YT comments have a bunch of people who felt the interviewer was incompetent, and roughly an equal amount who disagreed. Interesting.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 07:46:33 AM »
I think in his response to the question about mysterious ways he actually gave the story of One as his description of the intro riff sounds more like One than MW.  Also, I’ve read or heard that story about Bono asking for an intro before in an interview during which One was the song being discussed.  These guys kind of pull up canned responses on things they only partly remember so you can’t put too much gospel on interview responses.

I think the “tops” is the melodies and riffs.  Also Flesh and Machines is the title of a recent Lanois album so it is a way he is thinking of how technology is used to create music and how it influences the final production.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 07:58:29 AM »
I think in his response to the question about mysterious ways he actually gave the story of One as his description of the intro riff sounds more like One than MW.  Also, I’ve read or heard that story about Bono asking for an intro before in an interview during which One was the song being discussed.  These guys kind of pull up canned responses on things they only partly remember so you can’t put too much gospel on interview responses.

I think the “tops” is the melodies and riffs.  Also Flesh and Machines is the title of a recent Lanois album so it is a way he is thinking of how technology is used to create music and how it influences the final production.

I thought it was indeed MW but I was thinking "hmm, that riff isn't quite right." But I assumed there was an aspect of the riff that I had missed (hearing impaired, can sometimes miss tones).

But it was a little odd and I wondered if the interviewer felt the same because I thought he seemed hesitant there.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 08:06:33 AM »
The YT comments have a bunch of people who felt the interviewer was incompetent, and roughly an equal amount who disagreed. Interesting.

I've gotten to the point now where I don't even read the YT comments.  They are pretty worthless and always filled with angry vitriol.

I went a while doing and feeling the same. But I've noticed videos with apecialized interest tend to have better comments. Something like watch mojo's top 10 U2 songs will attract a lot of haters with dumb and nasty comments, but only fans are going to watch 15 minutes of a producer talk about an album. Comments may still include criticism but it's reasoned, not vitriolic.

Not saying you should read them, though - if they pi*s you off, well, life is too short for that.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 03:25:41 PM »

I thought it was indeed MW but I was thinking "hmm, that riff isn't quite right." But I assumed there was an aspect of the riff that I had missed (hearing impaired, can sometimes miss tones).

But it was a little odd and I wondered if the interviewer felt the same because I thought he seemed hesitant there.
Haven’t listened to the interview, but in From the Sky Down they talk about how MW and One both originated from the same “uncooked” song.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 03:41:31 PM »

Haven’t listened to the interview, but in From the Sky Down they talk about how MW and One both originated from the same “uncooked” song.

Maybe that is the other interview I’m thinking of.  Anyway would explain why he answered the question that way.

u2music

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 11:02:03 AM »

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 12:14:06 PM »
I hadn't watched that before, thanks for the link!

The film is narrated by voiceovers from the band and producers, and it doesn't identify who is talking. Being hearing impaired, I have poorer than average skills at recognizing voices. So it went like this for me:

Adam starts talking
- Is that Adam?

Adam keeps talking
- Yeah, that's Adam.

1 millisecond of Bono clearing his throat
- Bono.

Edge starts bullsh-tting
- Is that Bono? Yeah, I think it's Bono. Sounds like him and his flavor of bullsh-t.

Bono opens his mouth
- Oh, THAT'S Bono. So that was Edge before! Gotta remember, if I THINK it's Bono, it's Edge. If I KNOW it's Bono, it's Bono.

Larry talks in general
- ??

Larry talks about playing the drums in first person and active voice
- Must be Larry I guess

Adam talks
- It's Adam but I can barely hear him over Bono's breathing exercises he does when he "lets" someone else talk.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:25:02 PM by laoghaire »