Author Topic: 'Line-Nazis' At U2 Gigs Tell Impatient Fans Where To Go  (Read 4369 times)

daveyg

'Line-Nazis' At U2 Gigs Tell Impatient Fans Where To Go
« on: November 17, 2008, 01:33:03 AM »
From Dublin's morning paper, The Metro:

"Hardcore U2 fans form organised queues run by 'line Nazis', and they function identically at each venue, according to new research.

A study of 500 U2 fans queueing over night for four concerts in the US analysed those who were seeking access to the exclusive 'rail' part at the front of the concerts.

The report found the queues habitually organise themselves in a systematic, well organised fashion.

Venue staff support the system by telling fans to get a number from the 'line Nazi', a fan at the top of the queue who usually takes control at events.

To see if the system worked, reasearchers at the Dickenson College, Pennsylvania, invented scenarios in which people jumped the queue. Fans were then asked to fill out a questionnaire to assess their reactions.

The study found that fans with an average age of 30 got upset, even when someone cut in behind them, not affecting their position in the queue.

One of the report's authors, Marie Helweg-Larsen, said 'Fans were even annoyed when the consequences did not directly influence them.'

'The notion of "first come, first served" in deeply ingrainned, but we noted that some believed there was a special code of honour among U2 fans.'

Fans reacted indignantly to line-cutting bacause it was 'un-U2 like', they said."

Offline Michael Samuelle

• Babyface
  • Michael & Nikita
Re: 'Line-Nazis' At U2 Gigs Tell Impatient Fans Where To Go
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 01:37:35 AM »
hey dave, It's adam from myspace.  Glad to see your still keeping those U2 tours going. :) ;D

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:44:59 AM »
Is that why I never get anywhere in gigs?

daveyg

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 03:55:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
hey dave, It's adam from myspace.  Glad to see your still keeping those U2 tours going. :) ;D

Hey! How's it goin'?

I never get up front at U2 gigs, well except for ZooTV, and what a gig to get up front! Right in front of Edge!

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 06:38:44 AM »

I never get up front at U2 gigs, well except for ZooTV, and what a gig to get up front! Right in front of Edge!

I kinda ment that in a general thing! I allways seem to be up in the nosebleed section!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 10:44:52 AM »
Yeah me too, Dark Angel. Even when I saw them in smaller clubs way back, I was pushed to the back.  Being short, I saw very little then too!  Hey, daveyg, I thought that article was very interesting.  I think it is great.  Doing the right thing, being honorable-WOW-what a concept!!!!  Others should try it once in awhile.  Of course, I do not mean any of the nice U2 fans in this forum.

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
It's OK if people want to queue up early to get in to the front section and ye i have found that U2 fans do seem to react as the article suggests. But i would like to see a return to time before the crowd was segregated on the floor , in them days you could usually find your way to the front no matter when you got in the venue . I don't like going straight in to the venue its a good craic outside having a few beers with fellow fans in the near by pubs or bars then wandering in to catch the support bands later on. Now you can't do that unless you are prepared to be stuck half way down the venue in front of some stupid barrier dividing the fans .
I feel it has spoilt some of the atmosphere on the floor . what do you think ?

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 09:44:10 PM »
I don't think you're gonna get that 'have a few pints at the pub then wander to your front row seats' experience unless they go to all reserved seating, which I think is kinda lame.  I saw a BIG name act this summer that had all reserved seating and there were people sitting in the first few rows, yeah sitting, with their feet up on the seat in front of them, just sorta chilin'.  I was SHAKIN my BOOTY in the 17th row!!!! I'll take your front row seat,  ya lazy sods!!!  ;)

That said, I don't have 3 days to stand in line either.  I gave up most of the day of the show and wound up one row back. *shrug*