Author Topic: Ordinary Love  (Read 530 times)

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
Ordinary Love
« on: November 26, 2018, 10:07:15 PM »
I remember the year was 2013, November. It had been a long drought since U2 ended their 360 tour. Recently they had done a properly recorded acoustic version of Sunday Bloody Sunday and a cover of "this is" several months prior. But I woke up one November morning, and saw a new U2 song, Ordinary Love. It was written for a movie, but it was still new U2. It was professionally recorded and give a little hint of how the next album (songs of innocence) would be mixed/sound. It was fresh and still is. I actually think its fresher sounding than most of Songs Of Innocence and is a timeless song. Its not at all forceful but enough of U2. What is everyone elses thoughts on this song- 5 years later?

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Ordinary Love
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 01:03:29 AM »
Always liked it. Better than 'Invisible'. Would have suited SOI more than 'The Crystal Ballroom'.

u2music

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 06:14:57 AM »
Don't care for SOI/SOE but really love Ordinary Love.  Been listening to it for about six months now (of a song that's been around 5 years) and it doesn't get stale.  Yeah, I'm late to the game on Ordinary Love but not on U2.  U2 fan for close to forty years now.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 06:16:40 AM by u2music »

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 06:35:51 AM »
Same here, the song is relatively new to me (because of my hiatus). I liked reading about the context of when it came out. I'm not sure I've even heard the original release - I've got the Extraordinary Mix.

I've noticed that some people who didn't care for the song say they "got it" when they saw it on Fallon.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 09:21:06 AM »
I enjoy the melody and the Danger Mouse touches on Ordinary Love, but I find it quite uninteresting lyrically, so I don't have it on any of my regular playlists.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 10:26:05 AM »
Great track. I'm glad they put it on SOE 4evah!

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 04:20:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Same here, the song is relatively new to me (because of my hiatus). I liked reading about the context of when it came out. I'm not sure I've even heard the original release - I've got the Extraordinary Mix.

I've noticed that some people who didn't care for the song say they "got it" when they saw it on Fallon.
Yeah, i don't like the song I tend to skip it. But on Fallon it's interesting. You can see there how much the bike accident changed bono

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »
Yes, the way he changed after the accident is pretty noticable there.

But man, he still killed it. I feel like he actually practiced ordinary love right in the performance.

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 07:00:04 PM »

But man, he still killed it. I feel like he actually practiced ordinary love right in the performance.

Fallon was 8 months before the accident?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 07:21:22 PM »
121 jig a watts.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »

Fallon was 8 months before the accident?

Well hell you got me there.

Wow, I do feel like something changed but apparently I'm crazy.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 08:28:59 PM »
Really like Ordinary Love. It was important for me in my journey to becoming re-obsessed with U2. That began when my mom became ill and then passed away. I started watching old U2 videos on YouTube that I hadnít seen in ages, because I found them comforting. Gloria, Two Hearts Beat as One, Still Havenít Found. Then I started watching some newer videos of music I didnít know as well or didnít know at all. I discovered Ordinary Love through the Fallon clip. Iíd never heard the song before and it was beautiful, and what a stunning performance. Four guys in their fifties sitting on a couch, and they killed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »
121 jig a watts.

Is everything ok?

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 10:29:42 PM »
I think this is a classic U2 from the very get-go and it would've been a nice addition to SOI. Ordinary Love serves as a nice bridge between NLOTH and SOI, but it is just too good to leave off of a studio album. It's a highlight of 2010s U2 and really displays what the band is all about. I wish it didn't fade out at the end and that it had a more complete ending with an outro similar to the intro, but it's very good as is. 7.5/10 for me.

Offline BONO31

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 03:29:14 AM »
when I first heard "Ordinary Love", I was disappointed because it was not experimental.

But it's a good song! I love Bono's voice on this one and the way is singing,
and I also love the lyrics:
"The sea wants to kiss the golden shore.
The sunlight warms your skin.
All the beauty that's been lost before, wants to find us again.
I can't fight you anymore; it's you I'm fighting for.
The sea throws rocks together but time, leaves us polished stones"

Very powerful! But I still feel like there's a more subtil version of "Ordinary Love",
as I prefer the beginning of the original song (first verse, first chorus, second verse), it's quiet, beautiful,
and then, a cheesy guitar enter is ruining the song for me,
that's why I prefer the live version.