Author Topic: A review of U2's Lead Singles  (Read 524 times)

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: A review of U2's Lead Singles
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2018, 04:53:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know they already have us, the long time fans. I consider Magnificent, Breathe, EBW, Cedarwood Road the catchiest songs on their respective albums.
I agree with you on EBW but not the other three.  But, again, I suspect EBW was deemed to be “too U2” in its sound.  They were trying to attract a new generation of fans.  My daughter would call EBW dad-rock.  I think that’s what they try to avoid in their single choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2018, 06:14:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How did Discotheque add to any confusion about Pop?

I probably didn't explain that quickly typed comment particularly well. Discotheque and Pop do go together so not confusion in that way. The confusion came from what is going on with this band that gave us energetic political anthems like Sunday Bloody Sunday in the mid 80s, the masterpieces of JT and AB who now (in 1997) look like the Village People and want to do more synthesized type pop stuff. People missed the irony and perhaps missed the depth of the material. And they launched the album in K Mart including singing a song not on the album (the very good Holy Joe). And the stage set up had half of a McDonald's arch and the stick thing. To more casual fans, it was confusing to work out what they were on about. I love it all and adore Pop to be clear though where I stand. 

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2018, 07:08:15 PM »
"The Best Thing" is quite a clunker in my opinion.  They do seem to chase hits with mixed results.