5 (2.5%)
Lights of Home
2 (1%)
The Little Things That Give You Away
5 (2.5%)
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
2 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: U2 – The Fans Greatest Hits: Retrospective  (Read 171 times)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
U2 – The Fans Greatest Hits: Retrospective
« on: November 28, 2018, 12:53:30 PM »
So we’ve finished with the U2: Retrospective thing.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I did this as an attempt to listen to every U2 studio album again, with the perspective of how I felt when I first discovered them and contrast that with my present day thoughts.  It was a fun little project.  In particular, it made me appreciate a couple albums (Rattle and Hum and All That You Can’t Leave Behind) a whole lot more than I had previously.  It also reaffirmed to me that I tremendously enjoy every U2 album, just some more than others.  It was insightful to read others perspectives.  Interesting to me were that the albums receiving the most votes for favorite songs were from October and Rattle and Hum.  And (just one example) that some U2 fans enjoy “One Tree Hill” far more than “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” (which didn’t even make the cut), by nearly a 2/1 margin. 

In that lens and to put a close to this project, I thought it’d be fun to take the top three songs from each album which were voted upon by members of this website (as they stand today), put them all in a ginormous poll, and have @U2 members select their top 12 U2 songs.  It would be a unique approximation of a greatest hits album from some of U2’s biggest fans, and also force a bit of diversity of selections from the different eras.

So…  if you’re so inclined, vote for your favorite 12 U2 songs from the selections above, and then see how your selections shape up in comparison to other U2TrueFansTM.     

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
Re: U2 – The Fans Greatest Hits: Retrospective
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 01:11:08 PM »
I noticed October and Rattle and Hum got the most discussion too!

Regarding ISHFWILF vs OTH as an example, I had been thinking it seems that die hards love the hits but move to deeper cuts. Why? Could it be overexposure? (Me and WOWY). Or are the hits maybe, sort of, diluted in a way and when you are a True Fan you want the concentrated form of your band? But I'm not convinced the hits are diluted, so that might not be it.

ISHFWILF was my gateway, the song that started 30 years of fandom. Why didn't I vote for it? It's just as great as it always was. Maybe where we start is never where we end up.

Maybe it's a goddamn musical journey.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 03:28:52 PM »
Why isn't Boots in the list ?

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 03:34:43 PM »
Boots wasn't in the top 3 songs voted for NLOTH.

u2music

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 06:22:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So we’ve finished with the U2: Retrospective thing.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  I did this as an attempt to listen to every U2 studio album again, with the perspective of how I felt when I first discovered them and contrast that with my present day thoughts.  It was a fun little project.  In particular, it made me appreciate a couple albums (Rattle and Hum and All That You Can’t Leave Behind) a whole lot more than I had previously.  It also reaffirmed to me that I tremendously enjoy every U2 album, just some more than others.  It was insightful to read others perspectives.  Interesting to me were that the albums receiving the most votes for favorite songs were from October and Rattle and Hum.  And (just one example) that some U2 fans enjoy “One Tree Hill” far more than “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” (which didn’t even make the cut), by nearly a 2/1 margin. 

In that lens and to put a close to this project, I thought it’d be fun to take the top three songs from each album which were voted upon by members of this website (as they stand today), put them all in a ginormous poll, and have @U2 members select their top 12 U2 songs.  It would be a unique approximation of a greatest hits album from some of U2’s biggest fans, and also force a bit of diversity of selections from the different eras.

So…  if you’re so inclined, vote for your favorite 12 U2 songs from the selections above, and then see how your selections shape up in comparison to other U2TrueFansTM.   

Almost impossible to pick just 12 songs.  I keep coming up with at least 16 or more. 

Are we supposed to pick one song from each album?  Wait, that doesn't make sense since there are 14 albums. 

So, why aren't we picking 14 songs? 

Does it have to do with an album's average length (12 songs)?

Need more clarification.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 06:55:58 AM »
You can pick any 12 songs from the list above -- you don't need to pick a song from each album.  I conjured up 12 as an arbitrary number of tracks from a hypothetical album.  I could have picked 10, or I could have picked 14, but I picked 12, basically because that would be approximately an 60 minute or less album (and because my favorite U2 album has 12 tracks).  There are 3 songs included on the list above from each studio album.   

u2music

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 07:05:02 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You can pick any 12 songs from the list above -- you don't need to pick a song from each album.  I conjured up 12 as an arbitrary number of tracks from a hypothetical album.  I could have picked 10, or I could have picked 14, but I picked 12, basically because that would be approximately an 60 minute or less album (and because my favorite U2 album has 12 tracks).  There are 3 songs included on the list above from each studio album.   

Ok, that's where I thought you were going with the 12 tracks, common number on a lot of albums.  I was thinking I had to pick one song per album.  I can see my way clear now.  Thanks for the post.