Author Topic: Songs Of Experience one year since release  (Read 704 times)

Offline fodiktet

• Babyface
  • brick wall
Re: Songs Of Experience one year since release
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 01:01:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think SOE is far superior to SOI.

Sorry, but I completely disagree, the quality of the songwriting featured in SOI is another level above SOE.

I think SOI's one of their best albums. Conceptually, lyrically, melodically, I think it's one of their best. SOE def has its moments but even though it's grown on me, to me it still comes off as U2 realizing they need hit singles if they want to stay relevant.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 07:00:09 PM »
It's interesting how U2 fans have their individual favorites, which are so different.  Glad there's something for everyone.  I just found SOI songs to be quite kind of average on the whole.  However, "Troubles" and "Miracle" are personal faves, and "EBW" is great in other settings.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 08:26:24 AM »
Still a big fan of SOE and still seeing Best Thing on the network at the gym.  I wonder if LIAWHL had any alternative airplay at all.  That is a STAND OUT deep cut from this album almost in the vein of some of their pre-JT/AB stuff.  I remember burning through a cassette or two of TUF courtesy of my fascination with Promenade.   Id put it up there with some of their best deep cut material.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 01:12:29 PM »
SOI is thematically stronger and I prefer listening to it. I do consider Little things to be their best song since MOS and best in the 00's.

What bothers me is the deep half (ie first two songs, Landlady/Little things and the final two songs) vs all else, musically and thematically.

Songs about Ali, the "brush with mortality" and kids vs Trump and Syria ? Just...no. Rehashing BD in Get ouf of your own way and Volcano chorus in AS ? Pass. I usually like their pop moments but Showman never did it for me...(you help when you sing a-long with that cheesy 80's sounding synth is the worst moment since unfortunate vocal yelps in Crazy tonight)

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 11:59:52 AM »
More than a year after I first heard it I still find myself listening to the songs a lot.
I thought I would give the album a rest after the tour is over, but I can't - I am still pondering about the songs. They don't let me get away (in a positive way).
The songs I love most are: Love is all we have left / Lights of Home / Get out of your own way / Summer of Love / Red Flag Day / The little things that give you away / Landlady / Love is bigger than anything in its way.

And I loved hearing Get out of your own way live. It had a lot of energy and an uplifting vibe to it.