Author Topic: Do you think Songs Of Innocence is underrated?  (Read 627 times)

Offline fodiktet

• Babyface
  • brick wall
Do you think Songs Of Innocence is underrated?
« on: December 04, 2018, 01:44:21 AM »
I feel that the itunes debacle distracted people from the quality of the music. In my view it's a significantly better album than SOE and I view it as the band's third masterpiece.

Offline coolz481

• Refugee
Re: Do you think Songs Of Innocence is underrated?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 03:19:53 AM »
Fully agreed on the iTunes thing completely overshadowing the album, but I think both SOI & SOE represent some of U2's strongest songwriting to date.  The production let them down on occasion though, particularly on the percussion in Raised by Wolves and The Blackout.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 05:02:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here is a good review of SOI. But as expected he talks about the itunes release.

Agree it is a strong U2 album. Consistant all the way through the 11 songs.

For me it's U2 releasing a 2014 JT, twenty seven years after the original. From men in their 50's but who are still able to write good songs.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 01:01:34 PM »

Here is the same reviewer on SOE.

Have to agree & have said on here before,  SOE is listenable but safe. Fine but but not brilliant. A good effort within 3 years & during two tours that will still fill stadiums, but am hopeing for something better next time.

The reviewer also said he would retrospectivly rank SOI lower. He also said that about Muse's 'Drones'. Suspect he was just saying this to back up his statement about U2 declining over the last 15 years.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 02:11:08 PM »
Said it's their best work since AB from day one.

I really don't see how SOE is better to to each his own.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 02:52:04 PM »
I don't mind waiting 5 years for SOA. Providing it is as good as SOI. Be good to finish the trilogy with a goodie 

I've been a U2 fan long enough so am used to long waits.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 07:10:25 PM »
I just didn't find any major highs on SOI.  It's a decent sounding album; it just doesn't soar.  For me, SOE does soar in places.  And, I have to admit, I like the latter-day rock tunes like "Blackout" and "American Soul".  They sounded great live!

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 10:39:22 PM »
It probably had the most working against it as a U2 album since Rattle & Hum, or even October. That said, it wasn't an ambitious album at all. It was a reflective album, which means that it could never expand that far. NLOTH and SOE had far more ambition, regardless of how well either of them did creatively or on the charts.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 11:10:34 PM »
I think the whole itunes debacle was a complete over reaction anyone would think it was the end of world. Perhaps annoying if it automatically downloaded and you then couldn't get rid of it, but seriously there are bigger issues out there. 

I did download the album.  It was okay for awhile but it certainly didn't grab me. I just couldn't really relate to the music in any way shape or form and now I find myself skipping the tracks when they come up.  Really glad other people like it but it wasn't for me.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 07:19:58 AM »
It probably had the most working against it as a U2 album since Rattle & Hum, or even October. That said, it wasn't an ambitious album at all. It was a reflective album, which means that it could never expand that far. NLOTH and SOE had far more ambition, regardless of how well either of them did creatively or on the charts.

I still conceive of SOI and SOE as a double album, so I don't think of them as separate so much.

I also find them about equally ambitious and enjoyable. Both have tracks in which they push themselves in new directions--for me, be Sleep Like a Baby Tonight and Love Is All We Have Left are the two that most represent that spirit, though The Troubles and Book of Your Heart are up there too.

Both have what I'd consider poppy clunkers that I just skip after a couple of listens--California, Get Out of Your Own Way, You're the Best Thing About Me.

They both also have harder-sounding tracks that oddly do not resonate with me (I say oddly because those types of tracks are usually my favourites) in Raised By Wolves and The Blackout. On the other hand, Volcano and Lucifer's Hands are probably my most listened to tracks from the two albums.

Generally when I listen to these albums, I do so as one playlist including my favourites from both.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 07:25:30 AM by Bundang Dave »

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 04:27:07 PM »
I love that some people love Songs of Innocence, but rollout or not, Iím still not feeliní it, and I hope someday I do.  I feel a denseness somewhere there I hope to uncrack.  And I know both albums should go together, in time and in name, obviously.  But I feel Songs of Experience is heads and clouds above it, itís hard to even compare, for me, anyway.

And I love people supporting Songs of Innocence, by the way, because I loved something like No Line on the Horizon, and I know a lot of people didnít and I felt bad I felt they were missing out on what I was feeling.  But I havenít experienced the greatness in this album on a whole, at least not yet.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 04:30:41 PM »
*I feel thereís a tons of polite disclaimers in my post, but I hope I think Iíll figure this album out in due time someday.  LOL!

Offline catorce

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 09:59:24 PM »
definitely, it's one of my favourites

top 5 U2 album for me

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2018, 04:38:43 PM »
I'm still infatuated with the melodies on it. EBW, Song for Someone, The Miracle, Cedarwood Road, The Troubles, Iris, The Crystal Ballroom, Sleep like a baby tonight, etc. they're all catchy songs.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 04:44:04 PM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 09:50:55 AM »
SOI is a very good album. Masterpiece is probably a bit too strong a word for it in my opinion, as it does have a few mediocre songs, but it has only grown on me since release. The last half of the album is consistently great and even the two extra songs are amazing as well. It is much better than SOE anyway!