Author Topic: Every Breaking Wave performed live  (Read 343 times)

Offline dagobah

• Wanderer
  • exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
Every Breaking Wave performed live
« on: December 05, 2018, 10:54:56 AM »
Has U2 performed Every Breaking Wave live with guitars?  If so, when and where?

I should have also typed . . . . . . live with Bono singing, with guitars but with no piano.  My fault for not being more specific.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:27:24 AM by dagobah »

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
Re: Every Breaking Wave performed live
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 03:35:30 PM »
There is this version : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I don't know if it counts, though, as the song was still in the making. The "If you go..." part wasn't there yet. It's still a beautiful version.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 01:46:02 AM »
This is my go to EBW performance, from MTV awards. Edge is on piano but Adam is on bass and it has some strings with it too that works well. 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline dagobah

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 03:44:25 AM »
This is my go to EBW performance, from MTV awards. Edge is on piano but Adam is on bass and it has some strings with it too that works well. 
Thank you for your feedback.  I did acquire that MTV awards version from YouTube and I love it.  BlueSquirrel suggested the 2010 guitar version, which I was unaware of.  I love it . . . . . so I just acquired it from u2start.com, but the 2010 guitar version is quite different from the guitar version that is on Songs Of Innocence.  Maybe a forum member is aware of some unique promo appearance where Bono and Edge [or the whole band] played a guitar version (like the one on Songs Of Innocence).

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 06:13:21 AM »
I don't think there is a full version of it. Maybe at the beach house this summer, but am afraid that was a keyboard as well.

If there is a guitar version it's probably still stripped down: acoustic guitar with only edge and bono.

I think a stripped down version with piano is more professional

u2music

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 06:55:49 AM »
Yeah, I agree.  I don't think the song is intended for guitars.  It meshes great with piano, strings and light percussion.  I think that performance BlueSquirrel posted is cool but doesn't come across that well.  The version that I think is the right one for the song is:

... which happens to be the same structure as the MTV one.  I can understand the OP wanting to hear it with guitars but honestly I don't think the song was crafted for that.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 07:18:38 AM »
My favourite treatment of the song was they way they performed it on the 360 tour: Edge on electric guitar, Bono singing subtly.

The piano versions are lovely but too overwrought for my tastes.

I'd love to hear the version they had ready for No Line On the Horizon . . . wonder what the chorus was like at that stage.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 03:39:12 PM »
I missed it on 360 as I didn't go to shows on the latter part of that tour.
I can nail the current acoustic version on a good day with a bit of practice.  It suits my voice and can sing acapella!
Is Bono up for a duet? ;)

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 06:22:47 PM »
I can nail the current acoustic version on a good day with a bit of practice.  It suits my voice and can sing acapella!

Heh, I've been singing this one around the house the past few days because of this thread . . . but I'm sure not nailing it. : (

Bono really belts out the chorus on the piano version, so if you can even come close to nailing that part, I'm envious.

I've also revisited the 360 versions thanks to this thread and really like the more introspective vibe, though the lyric of the chorus is quite clunky.

Offline JFW

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 06:09:42 AM »
Yeah, I agree.  I don't think the song is intended for guitars.  It meshes great with piano, strings and light percussion.  I think that performance BlueSquirrel posted is cool but doesn't come across that well.  The version that I think is the right one for the song is:

... which happens to be the same structure as the MTV one.  I can understand the OP wanting to hear it with guitars but honestly I don't think the song was crafted for that.
Fantastic, I've been trying to find this back but didn't succeed.

So thanks for sharing. Still think MTV is better, since it has an audience. That version can hit me personally more than this one. Still good, should've made it the main albumversion  :)

Offline JFW

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 06:12:16 AM »

Heh, I've been singing this one around the house the past few days because of this thread . . . but I'm sure not nailing it. : (

Bono really belts out the chorus on the piano version, so if you can even come close to nailing that part, I'm envious.

I've also revisited the 360 versions thanks to this thread and really like the more introspective vibe, though the lyric of the chorus is quite clunky.
I think that I can nail it when played on guitar or in the shower. Recordings claim otherwise.

I get inspired whatching Bono sings this. He expresses himself as an artist very well and sings good. Maybe his technique is not good (can someone confirm that?) but it's still a rock song because he is not too hard trying to sing it perfect. Mistakes in the song make it even better

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 11:37:54 AM »

I think that I can nail it when played on guitar or in the shower. Recordings claim otherwise.

I get inspired whatching Bono sings this. He expresses himself as an artist very well and sings good. Maybe his technique is not good (can someone confirm that?) but it's still a rock song because he is not too hard trying to sing it perfect. Mistakes in the song make it even better

I tend to copy his vocal delivery style!  I'm contralto so I can do most U2 songs! I can do the TUF high notes but it doesn't come so naturally!! 

Offline JFW

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 04:51:45 PM »

I tend to copy his vocal delivery style!  I'm contralto so I can do most U2 songs! I can do the TUF high notes but it doesn't come so naturally!!
You're a woman, right?  :P

Offline JFW

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 04:52:16 PM »

You're a woman, right?  :P you're do i ng great. I'm just jealous

Offline dagobah

• Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 05:10:39 AM »
Thanks to all who responded.  I really appreciate the feedback.  JFW . . . you're correct . . . . . that June 30, 2018 performance (at the Radio.com beach house in Bourne, MA) was only Edge on piano and Bono singing.

I had a little time today to do some basic research.  I did it for myself, but I figured I might as well share it here.  This topic is not important, but . . . . for the one or two people who are interested, here's what I discovered.  According to U2gigs.com . . . . . . . . . . . Every Breaking Wave has been performed live 97 times.  The 360 Tour had three (performed in 2010) and they were only: Edge on guitar and Bono singing.  However, those three 360 Tour guitar versions were different from the album version on Songs Of Innocence.  As I mentioned, I love the 360 Tour guitar version.  Today, I listened to the album version again.  I had forgotten that it also has synthesizer.  So essentially, I wish I could have an audio file of the whole band performing the album version live with an audience.  I really like the synths and the bass guitar.

The other 94 performances were during:
Various Dates (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
Songs Of Innocence Promo Tour (2014)
Innocence + Experience Tour (2015)
Of those other 94 performances, I'm pretty sure most were only:  Edge on piano and Bono singing

One of those 94 performances was at the MTV Europe Music Awards on November 9, 2014 (in Glasgow, Scotland) with the whole band along with 5 people playing orchestra-type string instruments.  I love the performance.  But again, I want the album version (no orchestra-type string instruments).  When I have time, I will use U2start.com to go through the performances during the Various Dates so I can see how the song was performed.  I suspect none of them were performed like the album version (synth, guitars, drums, Bono singing).  If that is the case, I think it's unusual that the album version has not yet been performed live by now.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 07:41:04 AM by dagobah »