Author Topic: No Grammy nominations for the music on Songs Of Experience  (Read 1123 times)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
Re: No Grammy nominations for the music on Songs Of Experience
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 02:42:33 PM »
"How to Dismantle" has the worst album cover in U2 history.  Not a good look for the band there.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 02:50:12 PM »
U2 have had their heyday with the Grammys.  They’ll probably never win another Grammy again, unless it’s some kind of lifetime achievement type of thing. 

To me, the Grammys have become almost as big of a joke as the MTV VMAs.  I couldn’t care less, and never watch them.  SOE is a good album to me, and that’s all that matters.

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 03:55:22 PM »
I sort of look forward to U2's down-scaled tours of the future.  "Songs of Ascent" in a small, theatrical type venue?

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 06:42:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I sort of look forward to U2's down-scaled tours of the future.  "Songs of Ascent" in a small, theatrical type venue?
$1,500 tickets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Child of Grace
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 08:37:21 PM »
Nope; supply and demand--lesser demand, lower price.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 05:56:32 AM »
Nope; supply and demand--lesser demand, lower price.
I don’t think U2 is ever going to generate low enough demand to play a 3,000 seat theatre at $300/seat.  Maybe a one off for some special occasion but not a tour.  U2 are more like McCartney.  They will never be less than arena-level demand due to their legacy, even if they stop releasing new music.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 09:13:07 AM »
If U2 would just stop releasing new music, and do nothing except Greatest Hits setlists, they could tour arenas and stadiums infinitely.  Demand would probably go UP if they quit releasing new music and just focused on the hits.  I know a lot of friends that WOULD go to a U2 greatest hits tour that would probably not go to a show where they're going to play 8 songs from the new album.  Hell, my PARENTS would go to a U2 GH show. 

But U2 just aren't made that way, and I am thankful. 

u2music

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 11:13:32 AM »
If U2 would just stop releasing new music, and do nothing except Greatest Hits setlists, they could tour arenas and stadiums infinitely.  Demand would probably go UP if they quit releasing new music and just focused on the hits.  I know a lot of friends that WOULD go to a U2 greatest hits tour that would probably not go to a show where they're going to play 8 songs from the new album.  Hell, my PARENTS would go to a U2 GH show. 

Well, I'm a PARENT and I wouldn't go to a U2 GH show.  I want to go to a U2 show that has brand new material, from a brand new album with Edge's chiming guitar, produced by Eno/Lanois and dealing with relevant worldly subjects. I'm tired of hearing Bono sing about Bono. The MOR rock/pop music they've put out is junk.  They need to get real again. 

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 11:30:13 AM »

Well, I'm a PARENT and I wouldn't go to a U2 GH show.  I want to go to a U2 show that has brand new material, from a brand new album with Edge's chiming guitar, produced by Eno/Lanois and dealing with relevant worldly subjects. I'm tired of hearing Bono sing about Bono. The MOR rock/pop music they've put out is junk.  They need to get real again.
Yes, this path they’ve taken on the last two albums of U2 on U2 is where they have really gone off track.  Its boring.  But worse than that it gives off the impression of self-importance and self-indulgence.  It appeals most to people who are hardcore fans of the band members themselves...which is distinct from being a fan of their work.  I don’t say this to insult anyone.  We all have different things that make us tick and that’s fine.  But this is not a way to broaden your appeal and be relevant to the younger demographic, which they seem to be wanting to do based on their musical production choices.  Nobody outside people who have been reading up on the band knows or cares what Cedarwood Road is.  They actually have an animated scene of their life story on the big screen!

This is different than Lennon using Strawberry Fields or McCartney using Penny Lane as a jumping off point for a creative expression that is not “about them”.  It feels like they are trying to create their own legend even if that is not what is in their hearts.

I predict the band is not done and will come back with some great art and later reflect on how they kind of lost their way in the 2010’s.

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2018, 02:07:38 PM »
Please allow me to disagree.  ;) Although I wasn't born on Cedarwood Road either and it's not really relevant to me obviously, I am moved by their stories. The songs are beautifully written (esp. Cedarwood Road), I think Edge's chiming guitar - and the drums and bass - sound spot-on on that piece. And in fact I love Edgar Poe's Annabel Lee's poem for exactly the same reasons (wonderfully crafted, touching and music to my ears...).
 I don't see why artists shouldn't use their lives as creative material sometimes and I don't find their "innocence & experience" boring but rather enlightening... besides it's always interesting to learn from a fellow human being what drives them and where do they come from and how it has affected them when it's done tastefully.
I didn't feel the little animated film about Cedarwood Road was self-indulging. In fact, it had a universal appeal to it in the way it recreated the 70s mood and the visuals and the scenography were quite poetic.  I think they have achieved the right balance between raw emotion and reflection on these two albums. I would have been disappointed not to see/hear Iris and Cedarwood Road live.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 02:24:02 PM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2018, 02:12:27 PM »
I might add that in the current music production which is often shallow, it's interesting to hear lyrics such as :" Free yourself to be yourself, only you could see yourself... Free yourself to be yourself, if only you could see yourself...". "yourself" as not just them but everyone... the spark of hope that's nearly always been somewhere in U2's lyrics seems to be still growing strong.
 I've already felt this way while listening to some of NLOTH's songs (for ex. Unknown Caller) - both moving and uplifting at the same time. How do you feel about it?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 02:34:32 PM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2018, 02:51:28 PM »
I might add that in the current music production which is often shallow, it's interesting to hear lyrics such as :" Free yourself to be yourself, only you could see yourself... Free yourself to be yourself, if only you could see yourself...". "yourself" as not just them but everyone... the spark of hope that's nearly always been somewhere in U2's lyrics seems to be still growing strong.
 I've already felt this way while listening to some of NLOTH's songs (for ex. Unknown Caller) - both moving and uplifting at the same time. How do you feel about it?

I do feel that with the good tracks on NLOTH.  I like the imagery of Unknown Caller, even with its clumsy techno analogies.  But in the case of SOI & SOE, I find the references to U2’s own life and experiences to be so direct and specific that its hard for me to be intrigued or inspired.  It gets in the way of re-imagining them in some other way that is meaningful to me.  Its the same problem as when Bono talks too much about his lyrics.  It ruins the effect.  They say magicians should never reveal their methods.  I believe an artist should not reveal too much of his/her inspiration.  The history of U2 is better left for a biography.  Let the art be about something other than the artist.

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2018, 03:15:50 PM »
Ah well, I see what you mean. Bring on the new album, then! 8)

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2018, 03:25:55 PM »
The Grammys are driven by whatever the music trends are.  In the US (as elsewhere), its hip-hop, R&B, pop/dance crossover and a little country-American pop.
No rock, indie or metal in the main.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »

I'm a PARENT as well (not sure why I capitalized the word PARENTS originally... maybe because my parents are older.  I'm 37, so I'm not exactly young).  My point was simply that casual fans, like my parents and some of my friends, would be more inclined to go to a U2 greatest hits show.  I would still go to a GH show, though it's not my preference by a long shot. 

I'm a big fan of SOI and SOE, but at the shows I thought they went a little overboard, and became too literal with their presentation of some of the new songs.  The show was too dependent on the narrative.  The fact that they couldn't just play Dirty Day without having a complicated, elaborate, forced story about their fathers was kind of annoying.  I want the next tour to just be U2 playing U2 songs, and nothing is off limits.  Do about 5 new songs, but rotate the new album so we get to hear all of it live.  And then otherwise just play a combination of hits, deep cuts and everything in between.  They don't need a reason to play Dirty Day.  It's a U2 song, this is a U2 show... play it!