Author Topic: Calling GLORIA lovers RIGHT NOW  (Read 463 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
Calling GLORIA lovers RIGHT NOW
« on: December 13, 2018, 09:49:27 AM »
I DEMAND TO HEAR FROM THOSE WHO LOVE GLORIA.

What is the best part for you? Hearing that TWO THREE FOUR and knowing we're about to start hopping? The end part where they are all yelling? The quiet reflective verses followed by an ass kicking from Edge?

For me, it's the breakdown. We get a little solo from Edge and we go into the breakdown, a groovy Adam piece with Larry cymbals for emphasis. But the crowning GLORY is the POWER CHORD FROM EDGE that restarts the whole yelling mess again. CHURCH.

I want to hear from you. That's right.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
Re: Calling GLORIA lovers RIGHT NOW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 12:30:08 PM »
The difference in the second riff of the second verse

Offline BONO31

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 12:59:08 PM »
Everything is GREAT about GLORIA
- the oooooh at the beginning
- 2, 3, 4
- the edge main riff
- how Bono shouts
- In te domine
- Oh, Lord, if I had anything, anything at all, Id give it to you
- the helicopter effect of Edges guitar
- the sliding guitar solo
- the bass solo
- the chorus of voices at the end of the song

To me, GLORIA is the quintessential U2 song!

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 01:27:18 PM »
Best part for me, hands down, is right after Adam's funky little bass solo (U2 bass solo?!?!?) and the band kicks it through to the end.  It has, what you might call, to put it mildly, "uplift."

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 03:27:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It has, what you might call, to put it mildly, "uplift."

I like this.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 04:54:35 PM »
"Gloria" is one of my top all-time songs ever!  Have you seen the video of the guys on that barge sort of thing?  Bono does a little sort of genuflection in one part.  He is so gorgeous--baby-faced, earnest, devout, but yes kicking ass all the same.  The video is sort of an early U2 primer; all the elements of greatness are there.  I love that the song was unabashedly a praise song, but also straight up rock as well.  A masterpiece.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 07:32:43 PM »
One of my all-time favorite U2 songs. Definitely one of their greats. Im not a musician so not good at breaking things down from a technical perspective, I just love the feeling in the song. Transcendent joy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 08:06:39 PM »
I was in a youth group with my church  and we used this song a lot.  Bono made Jesus cool! This and 40.

And my name is Julie so I Love I fall down also.
In my youth group as part of the process we wrote letters and I always thought this song was about that! Who knows

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 06:17:41 AM »
Not a favourite per se but it definitely rocked at my show (Milan 4). It seemed tired on Vertigo bootlegs but it fired up live. One of the most underrated Edge riffs for sure.

Best bit...You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that chord - after the bass solo that opens this video. I swear I hear stadiums calling.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 11:11:30 PM »
Im a 2,3,4......

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 08:31:57 AM »
I didn't know anything about the October album when I first listened to it, except that it seemed to have a short piano piece at the end of U2's Best of 1980 to 1990 album on it, and that the overall consensus was that it was their worst album.  (An opinion I strongly disagree with, btw.)

So, I listened to the album just hoping there would be at least one song that I'd fall in love with.  I didn't have to wait long.  I still remember lying in my bed with my headphones on after buying October and after hearing the seemingly disjointed, chaotic confusion of Adam's bass solo and the various strange sounds that accompanied it, it all seemed to just come together in the last minute or so of the song.  I remember getting chills the first time I heard the chorus of voices during the big crescendo, and falling in love with it right there and then. 

To me, it sort of feels like the strange sounds represent life and all of it's odd twists and turns, and then when Edge's guitar kicks in at about 3:18 of the song, it's a moment of clarity.  The strange sounds stop, and the singer just belts out "Gloria" with all his heart and soul as he realizes that amidst the chaos of life, God can be a rock for him.  In the song, God gets rid of the chaos, and is something stable for him during turbulent times.  At least, that's what the song means to me. 

The combination of the gospel exultations and The Edge's guitar work just sound great next to each other.  Kind of like Bono's high and low voices during The Fly.  The contrast is what makes it great.   This song's ending was like taking the best parts of a Christian hymn and rock music and fusing them together...  Just sublime.  I still, to this day, consider it my favourite ending to any song.

So, when I first heard the song, I immediately thought it was one of their best.  It's definitely in my top 10 to this day, and I have absolutely no idea how they could have left it off their Best of 1980 to 1990 album.  (I also don't know why The Fly and Lemon were left off the Best of 1990 to 2000 album, but that's another discussion for another thread.)   

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »
That's brilliant, ToRontoRon, well done.

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 10:49:55 AM »
Thanks, laoghaire.  Brilliant idea for a thread as well.  Gloria is just an absolute classic.

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 11:53:27 AM »
2, 3, 4

just being able to hear it live

singing at the top of my lungs and jumping up and down in unison with thousands of other fans

all of it

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 08:39:50 AM »
It's a great 'worship' song.  Beats most of them by about 100 miles - especially some of the contemporary ones.