Author Topic: What kind of music will U2 make going forward?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline catorce

• Stranger in a Strange Land
What kind of music will U2 make going forward?
« on: December 14, 2018, 01:46:36 AM »
U2 made their first pop rock album with SOE, before that dance, rock, industrial, blues, punk, ambient, to name a few categories

they always change up their sound for each album release, so what do you think is next in line for them in terms of exploring their sound in the future?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:48:17 AM by catorce »

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: What kind of music will U2 make going forward?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 05:15:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 made their first pop rock album with SOE, before that dance, rock, industrial, blues, punk, ambient, to name a few categories

they always change up their sound for each album release, so what do you think is next in line for them in terms of exploring their sound in the future?

SOE was their first pop rock?  What is your definition of pop rock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 10:34:17 AM »
More like Book Of Your Heart. No more GOOYOW, TBTAYIM and such like

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 11:08:32 AM »
TBTAYIM

Is that tongue-in-cheek or what is the deal?

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 11:12:18 AM »
More like Book Of Your Heart. No more GOOYOW, TBTAYIM and such like

I would like this to be true, but I think we'll get more of the same types of albums they've done since Pop.

Offline catorce

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 01:27:10 PM »

SOE was their first pop rock?  What is your definition of pop rock?

that's what it says on the Wikipedia page for SOE

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 02:42:03 PM »
SOE was definitely pop-rock, but I'd say that SOI hit that qualifier as well, and probably even more so than SOE.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2018, 09:05:08 PM »
U2 has had alot of pop-rock songs for many years.  Discotheque, Beautiful Day, Miracle Drug, Vertigo, Elevation, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, WOWY.  What is Pop Rock vs Rock anyway.  I just see it as rock that is written to appeal to a broad audience, which I think U2 has always tried to do.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 01:39:43 AM »
I always thought that rock was based on the electric guitar with lead , bass etc and drums and singer.  So many versions over the years, Indi rock, glam rock, surf rock, soft rock, punk rock etc. with different vibes of attitude, protest, romanticism and showmanship.  Weren't U2 originally based on punk rock?

Really all I want is good lyrics that speak to me, a really good dose of Edges magic on lead guitar which to me anyway has been lacking of late, nice meaty base and something musically interesting.  I know they like experimenting but I wish they would just get back to basics and put out something makes me notice it.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
What kind of music will U2 make going forward?
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 07:28:56 AM »
I always thought that rock was based on the electric guitar with lead , bass etc and drums and singer.

That’s a definition of rock.  How is pop rock different?  I realize you aren’t the OP.

I consider most of what U2 has done as pop rock.  Its rock music targeted to a mainstream audience.  The earlier stuff is less poppy and (intentionally ironic) Pop is less poppy. (Leading Larry to suggest that their next album be an “actual” pop album.  And it was.)

So using the idea that SOE is their first “pop rock” album as a starting point for “what will they do next” makes a confusing question.  Probably...”pop rock”, like nearly every other record they’ve made.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 08:35:12 AM »
I always thought that rock was based on the electric guitar with lead , bass etc and drums and singer.

That’s a definition of rock.  How is pop rock different?  I realize you aren’t the OP.

I consider most of what U2 has done as pop rock.  Its rock music targeted to a mainstream audience.  The earlier stuff is less poppy and (intentionally ironic) Pop is less poppy. (Leading Larry to suggest that their next album be an “actual” pop album.  And it was.)

So using the idea that SOE is their first “pop rock” album as a starting point for “what will they do next” makes a confusing question.  Probably...”pop rock”, like nearly every other record they’ve made.

I wouldn't disagree.  They are a rock band and what they do next will probably be some format of rock, there is a lot of scope in that whole genre anyway.  I hope they just make some darn good rock and Edge lets his brilliant musical mind shine.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 10:57:52 AM »

I wouldn't disagree.  They are a rock band and what they do next will probably be some format of rock, there is a lot of scope in that whole genre anyway.  I hope they just make some darn good rock and Edge lets his brilliant musical mind shine.
I’m optimistic about that.

I Fall Down

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 11:43:48 AM »
I always thought that rock was based on the electric guitar with lead , bass etc and drums and singer.  So many versions over the years, Indi rock, glam rock, surf rock, soft rock, punk rock etc. with different vibes of attitude, protest, romanticism and showmanship.  Weren't U2 originally based on punk rock?

Really all I want is good lyrics that speak to me, a really good dose of Edges magic on lead guitar which to me anyway has been lacking of late, nice meaty base and something musically interesting.  I know they like experimenting but I wish they would just get back to basics and put out something makes me notice it.

This. 

U2 are and have always been a rock 'n roll band.  Pop-Rock is NOT U2. "The detractors of pop rock often deride it as a slick, commercial product, less authentic than rock music." (ref. Wiki).  U2 are authentic rock musicians and they produce authentic rock music.  Their roots were punk music which is a sub-genre of rock music.  There is nothing pop about it.  Although, there is one exception to that in their work, imo.  SOE qualifys for pop-rock, if the term is even real.  However, I think of SOE as just pop music.

To say that Beautiful Day, Vertigo, Elevation, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, WOWY are pop-rock songs is naively wrong.  Sure they appeal to a large "commercial" audience but they are still authentic rock songs.  WOWY a pop-rock song?  Give me a freakin' break.

I am hopeful the band will go back to their "roots" and give us a really good rock album the next time around.  It would be a tragedy to see their legacy ruined by the likes of SOE.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 11:46:13 AM by I Fall Down »

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2018, 05:57:02 PM »

This. 

U2 are and have always been a rock 'n roll band.  Pop-Rock is NOT U2. "The detractors of pop rock often deride it as a slick, commercial product, less authentic than rock music." (ref. Wiki).  U2 are authentic rock musicians and they produce authentic rock music.  Their roots were punk music which is a sub-genre of rock music.  There is nothing pop about it.  Although, there is one exception to that in their work, imo.  SOE qualifys for pop-rock, if the term is even real.  However, I think of SOE as just pop music.

To say that Beautiful Day, Vertigo, Elevation, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, WOWY are pop-rock songs is naively wrong.  Sure they appeal to a large "commercial" audience but they are still authentic rock songs.  WOWY a pop-rock song?  Give me a freakin' break.

I am hopeful the band will go back to their "roots" and give us a really good rock album the next time around.  It would be a tragedy to see their legacy ruined by the likes of SOE.
Your opinion is as valid as anyone else’s.

Offline ricebird5678

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 12:21:47 PM »
Reprisal of the Dalton Brothers.