Author Topic: I half expect Ed Sheeran’s current tour to outgross U2’s 360°  (Read 536 times)

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
There, I said it. Ed has already earned well over $500-million (off of 207 show, according to the tour’s Wikipedia page; he’s been mixing arenas and stadiums), and still has over 50 shows booked for next year. I didn’t delve in too too deeply, but they seem to mostly be stadiums, with some outdoor parks thrown in (which will most definitely accommodate stadium sized crowds.

I’m not an Ed Sheeran fan, but I am more than aware of both his star power and popularity. In my own city, last year he sold out my city’s hockey arena, playing to something like 15,000; and, this year, he soldout my baseball stadium, to 40,000+. Mind you, this is technically the same tour.

I’m too lazy to do the math, to average out Ed’s earnings just for his stadium shows on this tour, and to multiply that by the remaining shows, for 2019 (assuming that more aren’t added). Suffice it to say, I suspect this tour to outgross U2.

On another note, either Coldplay or Guns N’ Roses could have outgrossed U2 on their respective last tours, had they kept adding more shows. Regardless, I do believe that both tours are now in the top 10 highest grossing.

Offline cocamojoe

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: I half expect Ed Sheeran’s current tour to outgross U2’s 360°
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 07:23:27 PM »
Here is a link to the Wikipedia page for Ed’s current tour.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 06:05:21 AM »
Yeah he probably will take the record by the end of the year.  Part of his advantage is that he has a minimalistic production that can be formatted for many different venue types, and since he just performs alone, his shows are relatively low maintenance. 

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 12:29:16 PM »
U2 set the bar with just 110 shows all this talk about these other bands they are waaaaaaaaaay way over 110 shows GnR  @ 159 shows & still nearly £200 million short of U2 & ColdPlay with 114 shows again nearly £200 million short & Ed has so far 14 legs too this current tour & U2 360 had just 7 Ed has done 117 shows in EU alone & still cant touch U2.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 05:26:57 PM »
When Ed came here in Aus he filled our stadiums with sold out shows.  His tickets were very affordable, and he would have much lower overheads than U2 and he doesn't have to split proceedings 4 ways so it is like comparing apples with oranges really. Being a young musician he probably has much wider appeal to young audiences and even my cohort went to see him.  I wouldn't say I am a fan but I do like some of his music and his general persona, a talented young man.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 08:46:58 AM »
But U2 have 'more professional bladders' than Ed Sheeran? Either that or they don't take on as much fluid beforehand?(Sheeran stopped one of his UK shows - twice - it visit the 'facilities' and someone in the stands posted a video of him running off the stage into the temporary facilities at the side of the stage)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Don't know of any members of U2 have the need to dash off the stage halfway through the set.
Would Sheeran gross more on his tour because he hires a polyjohn for himself and stagehands.  I've never been backstage at a U2 show, but I can only imagine U2 have more pleasant and more expensive preferences?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 08:52:39 AM by 73October »

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »
But U2 have 'more professional bladders' than Ed Sheeran? Either that or they don't take on as much fluid beforehand?(Sheeran stopped one of his UK shows - twice - it visit the 'facilities' and someone in the stands posted a video of him running off the stage into the temporary facilities at the side of the stage)

Don't know of any members of U2 have the need to dash off the stage halfway through the set.
Would Sheeran gross more on his tour because he hires a polyjohn for himself and stagehands.  I've never been backstage at a U2 show, but I can only imagine U2 have more pleasant and more expensive preferences?

I would think that Bono sweats out any excess water!  It wouldn't worry me if an artist needs to take a break.  Who knows if he had a medical condition he didn't wish to share or just likes to keep himself super hydrated during his shows.  Dont think it happened here.

Why would someone video him running off to the loo? Seriously do people have no boundaries these days?

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 12:21:45 PM »
Someone in the stands was clearly frustrated and bored
(Apparently Ed Sheeran had drunk more water than usual earlier in the show - it was during our hot summer over here.  Why does he need to wear 2 t-shirts, under spotlights, on a hot summer evening?. He was quite embarrassed about his, ahem, other need to 'perform' as he admitted afterwards to the papers)

Sorry, it made headlines over here.  So for someone like me who wasn't that bothered about the tour, other than knowing people who went to a UK show, its the other thing I remember about it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 12:29:12 PM by 73October »

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 11:37:56 PM »
Someone in the stands was clearly frustrated and bored
(Apparently Ed Sheeran had drunk more water than usual earlier in the show - it was during our hot summer over here.  Why does he need to wear 2 t-shirts, under spotlights, on a hot summer evening?. He was quite embarrassed about his, ahem, other need to 'perform' as he admitted afterwards to the papers)

Sorry, it made headlines over here.  So for someone like me who wasn't that bothered about the tour, other than knowing people who went to a UK show, its the other thing I remember about it.

Headlines seriously? We care about Ed going to the loo and how much water he drank and why he wears 2 T shirts in the summer enough to make it headline worthy? Holy Moly.   

Offline ricebird5678

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 09:39:16 AM »
It will have to fall off considerably not to surpass it.