Author Topic: Your u2 musical journey  (Read 194 times)

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
Your u2 musical journey
« on: December 27, 2018, 12:27:24 PM »
I think we all have one.  These might not be your favorite songs or even the ones you think are the best, but the ones that fit best of where you were in life when you heard them OR help tell your life story through the band.  I've been a fan since late elementary school/junior high, starting with Joshua Tree and there has been a constant tie to the band and their music every since.  Your missions, if you choose to accept, is to write your playlist based on the above criteria. 

Streets - this would be my opening number as Joshua Tree was my introduction into their music and plus, it has the best opening of any song ever, especially live.

Hawkmoon 269 - I have never heard this song live, I love it.  It lustful and dark and moving all at once. I'd couple it with Desire because I get much the same feeling when listening to the both of them.

Mysterious Ways - Achtung Baby came out when I was in 7th grade.  I was deemed too young for a concert and my biggest musical regret in life is never seeing Zoo TV.  If I could put the entire Achtung Baby album on my set list, I would.

Stay (Far Away, So Close) - I finally got to hear this song live this year when I saw them in Manchester, GB.  It was everything I hoped it would be.

Gone - Pop was my first tour and I still think it's the most underrated of all their work.  There is some great stuff on Pop.

Please - It's a fantastic song

New Year's Day - with the repeating key boards Edge played on the Popmart Tour

North and South of the River - this song is my relationship in college.  One will also make the list because of this, but North and South is really it. 

The Ground Beneath Her Feet - I fell in love with Rushdie.  The book as well as this song are phenomenal.

Vertigo - I was a bit lost after college - no job, no apartment

Refugee - I was about to move home and all my life pieces fell into place within a week.  I had a place to live, met a boy (whom I eventually married) and found a job.

Elevation - my early 20s were spent happy

11 O'clock,Tick Tock - this is another one that the groove of the song just matched the groove I was feeling at the time in my life before I got married.

All I want is you - The tables at our reception were named after U2 albums.  Our DJ thought I requested one song by U2 when in reality I had requested One by u2.  He didn't have it, so we danced to All I want is You instead.

Stories for Boys - I had two sons back to back

Acrobat - I was juggling a lot, and pregnant again

Daddy's Gonna Pay for your Crashed Car - I had a daughter, she's Daddy's little girl and while I KNOW that's not what this song is about, it still makes me think of it

I'll Go Crazy if I don't Go Crazy Tonight - my mantra when I need a night out.

Lady With the Spinning Head - I've battled migraines and vertigo my whole adult life.  The song title is fitting.

Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own - I need the reminder sometimes that I can't do it all myself.  Sometimes my husband does. 

The Little Things That Give You Away - Man this song hits so close to home.  I feel like I could have written the last verse about myself.  I love everything about it.

One - it's my favorite song.  It's been special to me in all of my relationships.  It speaks on so many levels of healing.

So now you all know way too much about me and my love for U2.  Please share!

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
Re: Your u2 musical journey
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 03:13:17 PM »
I like your thread and thought about contributing but I kept finding the stuff too personal.

I will share one, though. I was pregnant in 2005. I talked to my unborn baby by singing:

Hello, hello
You're a baby in vertigo
(Etc)

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 07:16:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I like your thread and thought about contributing but I kept finding the stuff too personal.

I will share one, though. I was pregnant in 2005. I talked to my unborn baby by singing:

Hello, hello
You're a baby in vertigo
(Etc)

I get that, I tried to walk the line of personal by being brief, lol. I could go on and on. Sometimes its too personal to talk about

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 07:41:05 PM »
At age 30, I was heavily pregnant with my second child.  "Achtung Baby" was my workout album :)

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 08:04:01 AM »
New Years Day I was young and my heart was full of adventure and rebellion, it was a roller coaster ride.
JT, Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby were during tumultuous times searching for myself.  Doing many hours on the road or aboard tractors and horses in remote areas, breaking up of a relationship, forming new friendships, doing extreme sports, traveling to faraway places.  I think that is why that era of U2 is so special to me.  There was just so much going on and memories and feelings, people, places and dogs and horses long gone are strongly associated with those songs.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 08:06:39 AM by summerholly »