Author Topic: Nice to hear Bono get complimented  (Read 848 times)

Offline jules

• Stateless
Nice to hear Bono get complimented
« on: January 08, 2019, 04:57:47 AM »
At a time when I only seem to read hate about Bono it's nice to hear some nice things. When I started watching this video I assumed Bono wouldn't be included - he aint cool enough for the musos! But you could see that the presenter's (Rick's) experience in 1992 had really meant something to him... and this guy *really* knows his stuff about music:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The good stuff is at 11mins but it's worth watching the whole video to get a context of the singers he's comparing Bono to  8)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
Re: Nice to hear Bono get complimented
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 12:46:34 PM »
Some very idiosyncratic choices.  Lou Gramm ahead of Robert Plant?!  Surely Bono belongs in the top ten, but yes, nice to see him get some recognition.

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 04:17:46 PM »
Rick clarifies in the comments:

"By the way, I forgot to say it in the video but this is in no particular order."

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 02:15:18 AM »
Just realised I posted this in the wrong section, it should have been General U2 Discussion, not General Music Discussion... if the mods can move it it'd be appreciated, cheers

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 08:37:59 AM »
You're right, that was some very lovely praise for Bono's singing. I liked how he said, with amazement, that the ZooTV show he attended had vocals that were album quality or exceeded album quality. It's not true of every show, of course, but we fans know that U2 are a live band and indeed the best version of a given song is very likely to be a live performance.

He obviously knew U2's ouerve well, at least the old stuff, correctly citing RHMT and Drowning Man as vocal highlights, rather than relying on better known high points like Pride and WOWY.

However, those two songs are among the few where the best (or only) takes are on album.

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 06:00:19 AM »
More love for U2 from Rick, analysing In God's Country:

8) 8) 8)

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 10:31:52 AM »
Name a muso that DOESN'T secretly love U2.
I realised at the Glastonbury performance in 2011 how many muso types actually rate U2.  It took a couple to admit and then there was a flood of compliments...even if they don't see U2 as cool. 
U2 are perhaps more influential than many of us think. 

Offline jules

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 04:46:59 AM »
Name a muso that DOESN'T secretly love U2.

I can name a few. It came from the fact that:

a) u2 tend to play 'simple' music - take the bass to in gods country, very understated. But it fits perfectly. To some musos simple = boring.

b) at least in the early days Adam wasn't the best on a technical level. that is, his timing was a bit off. I lived with a muso bassist at uni and he thought Adam was 'overrated'. Listen to Love rescue me and he even fluffs a note completely. But if you read U2 by U2, Adam's more 'jazzy' style actually lead the edge to become more of the rhythm section with larry in the very early days. In the mid to late 90s (pre-POP I believe) Adam brushed up his skills a bit and now he is both a fantastic composer of basslines AND rock solid technically.