Author Topic: SLABT falsetto  (Read 164 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
SLABT falsetto
« on: February 12, 2019, 12:05:00 PM »
Just curious about something.

SLABT falsetto. Bad? Good?

I like it. What it means to me is vulnerability. In the main version, the singer focuses on the priest/bishop. We don't know if the singer has been personally harmed by the church. The singer doesn't tell his/her story.

The tone is brutal. (Marvelous).

But in this verse, the tone shifts for a bit. The singer finally puts himself in the picture. His falsetto reveals him, makes him vulnerable. Will we laugh? Will we cringe?

As he falls out of the falsetto, his voice cracks coming back down to the damnation: not feeling anyone else's pain. (A theme echoed in a few other places, such as Please, but also the flip side - empathy - in Stuck).

Anyway, I think it makes the song.

And took guts.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
Re: SLABT falsetto
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 06:04:32 AM »
Its amazing - one of the highlights on the album for sure especially the moment he shifts from falsetto to regular singing that you mention.

I love Bono's falsetto it's one of his strongest assets.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 08:14:30 AM »
At first I found it rather startling, as it seemed to come out of nowhere.  Then I grew to like it.  It's actually not one of my favorite songs (I know, I'm probably in a minority here), but the falsetto part certainly elevates the tune and gives it some interesting texture.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 11:49:40 AM »
I hope they play it live at some point, when it's appropriate.
Bono can still pull off a falsetto, but I noticed on listening to this just now it is not as clean and as sharp as earlier falsettos.  He can still hit the high notes, but maybe with more effort required. 
As I said, I hope it gets played live because it takes guts to sing that kind of song (lyrically) live to an audience.  And Bono still can reach the higher notes.  I'm sure for the guts and effort taken, there'll be a whole load of love going in the opposite direction - he deserves the love for it.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 05:34:15 PM »
My favorite song on that album BY FAR.  I like to know they still have stuff like this in them somewhere (both musically and lyrically).  I like the falsetto and the role it plays within the strong structure and how it highlights that part of the song.