Author Topic: No SF bay area dates?  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
  • I was the bad guy who walked out...
Re: No SF bay area dates?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 03:59:41 PM »
Still no announcement for a Bay Area Dates.

Offline Zimmy

• Wanderer
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 07:09:32 PM »
This is a bummer. I'm moving to San Francisco in May and was hoping to see U2 when they toured.

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 07:17:58 PM »
You just have to be patient.  Most likely they'll play the Bay Area in June/July 2010.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 01:26:55 AM »
I'm not worried but at the same time I am.  Normally they do two legs here but all the rumors of them wanting a shorter tour is in the back of my mind.  On the other hand they have another album coming out at the end of the year so that gives us hope that they're going to want to tour that album and maybe come back to the U.S.

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 09:40:45 PM »
Couple of things, there's a two day gap in the schedule between rose bowl in l.a. on 10/25 and the vancouver show on the 28th-so there's room for a bay area stop between Los Angeles and Vancouver (one hell of a hike for the trucks) If you compare the stadiums they're choosing, my guesses would be Spartan Stadium in San Jose, The Stadium at Stanford University, Candlestick Park in San Francisco, and a very outside chance of Memorial Stadium in Berkeley.
   I say that because there hasn't been a concert there since the 80's when Paul McCartney played, mainly because the neighborhood association in the surrounding hills has most of the political and economic clout in the city and prevents the noise-making evening concerts from ever taking place. It also has the unpleasant distinction of sitting directly on an earthquake fault (The Hayward Fault to be precise)

Oakland Coliseum is always a possibility, but this time around they seem drawn to ovoid-shaped venues with very gradually raised/raked tiers, rather than the steep-sided bowls that would cut down the sight lines into the structure in mid-field. It's also possible that they'll just camp out at the rose bowl for three nights (another guess 10/24,10/25,10/26) before moving on, a three-night stand in LA would also be an ideal setup to shoot a show for DVD.

I was pleasantly surprised that the field will be GA, and I take that to mean no seats, so that would explain why they can sell so many field tickets at $50.00. I have no idea what $250.00 buys you-unless of course it's a spot inside the barrier surrounding the stage, which is the only way I'd spend that much.

Offline jdtallen

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 05:13:49 PM »
My guess is that they're waiting to see how well the first dates sell out, then they'll add more shows. It does seem totally inconceivable that they wouldn't do a Bay Area show....considering they're always praising us fans at either the San Jose or Oakland shows for being so amazingly loud...they wouldn't just be saying that would they?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 08:06:04 PM by jdtallen »

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 07:31:43 PM »
I'm with you on that one J.D. it would be the first time in 28 years that they skipped the bay area when other California dates were scheduled. I'm expecting them to book either the 26th or 27th in Oakland, or bounce back through after Vancouver-maybe on the way to their Halloween parties at Bono's place in Mexico! Lots of room for a show here.

Offline carek1230

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 12:29:21 AM »
The tour goes through 2010 so be patient......more dates will be announced down the line.  I'm actually wondering whether to buy tickets to Vegas, AZ or Pasadena or wait for additional dates to be announced into 2010.  :hmm:

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »
I'm also making plans for Vegas and Pasadena, maybe us bay area folks are a tad spoiled after 28 years of visits, so I'll get cheap flights and hit the road for a weekend..it would be kinda cool to to see the band in a different city for once.. just hope I don't lose my &^% in Vegas.

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 08:03:20 PM »
Keep your eyes and ears open folks, with the North American tickets progressing through the on-sales, we might yet see a Bay Area stop. Given that I've just read they have three stages circulating, they could easily fit in a show either before or after Vancouver....they're going to need the money!

Offline turtle

• Wanderer
  • Your Honour - If the door is open it isn't theft!
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 08:15:56 PM »
Really interesting reading all this.

We are in Australia, and with no shows scheduled and unlikely to be, LA, Vegas and Phoenix are our closest shows! And we are planning to be there!

We are going to take a 15-hour flight across the Pacific, get in a car in LA, drive to Phoenix in time for October 20 and road trip back to LA via Vegas.

What we find a little amusing in people complaining about a drive from SF to LA? We driven that road before. What, half a day?

We say this with a smile  ;), but you guys in North America put it in perspective a little and realize you are the lucky ones with choices of venues and cities and this has been the case for every single tour. 2 legs of Vertigo indoors, 2 legs of Elevation (we did even get one).

Get out there, go for it and enjoy it.

These things such as U2 shows and the people you meet along the way are what make life worth living.

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 04:21:26 PM »
Well put, and safe travelling, see you in LA-LA land-hopefully jet-lag free!!! You're quite right, 5 hours on the freeway isn't really much  (unless it's the LA freeway of course!) we're just spoiled in the bay area after 28 years of visits from the band.

Offline wallah

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 05:41:37 PM »
I'd say it seems more likely that they'll add a second LA date than a Bay Area date given what they've done  so far with other cities. I think the Bay Area will have to wait until next Spring.

Offline mstevensmcs

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 07:50:57 PM »
I'm hoping they'll do that too, if they do a two-nighter in pasadena it'll fit in nicely with the vegas-pasadena trip I'm working on ,3 shows in four days over a long weekend would be perfect...and a nice drive thru the desert on saturday : )