Author Topic: Who else thinks that U2 is being super-conservative here?  (Read 2237 times)

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
  • Sponsored by Blackberry!
Who else thinks that U2 is being super-conservative here?
« on: March 09, 2009, 06:53:02 AM »
I really think they are still smarting psychologically from Pop Mart.  It seems like the dates they've released are so regionally based and spread out so far (date-wise) that they want to be 100% sure that every show sells out.  It's obvious with the way that they've neglected key cities like San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, Philadelphia, Denver, etc. that they are forcing the hands of their fans in these cities to travel 3-6 hours to the closest scheduled venue for a show (and basically guaranteeing sell-outs).  I guess I'm complaining mildly - I understand that U2 got smacked around a ton on PopMart with the 25% full stadiums on a routine basis.  Still, it would be nice to see them with a little more carelessness and confidence like the old days.

Also, it's obvious from the down time between shows that they are leaving room to add 2nd night (Chicago, Toronto, etc.) once the first nights have confirmed sell-outs.  This kind of sucks for the naive fans who splurge for 3 to 4 times face value for the 12th in Chicago only to have a second date on the 13th released in 4 months - after people have been taken by an artificially tight supply and higher prices.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 06:56:05 AM by SaintMike »

Offline Zimmy

• Wanderer
Re: Who else thinks that U2 is being super-conservative here?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:20:51 AM »
Well, I think it sucks. Since they're skipping San Francisco that means I won't get to see them. But, people are saying they might come back next year to do more dates, so I'll be looking forward to that.

Offline tofubeast

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 07:42:22 AM »
Are these all the dates, or is there a chance more US shows will be announced in the next couple of weeks?  I just can't believe they are not playing Miami/Ft. Lauderdale...Dolphin stadium.    Tampa road trip.

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
  • Sponsored by Blackberry!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:51:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Are these all the dates, or is there a chance more US shows will be announced in the next couple of weeks?  I just can't believe they are not playing Miami/Ft. Lauderdale...Dolphin stadium.    Tampa road trip.

My theory is that all of the missing cities (Miami, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, Philly) are NFL cities.  There are also a lot of open weekends on their current agenda.  I bet they weren't able to get confirmation from the NFL yet as the schedule is still being worked on.  My hunch is that as soon as the NFL knows for sure they'll communicate to U2 and you'll see Denver, Philly, Miami get their dates at that point.

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:32:49 AM »

I can't believe it either! I'm closest to Tampa and I was sure they'd be playing Dolphins stadium. Raymond James Stadium NEVER gets rock concerts. I guess they're figuring they'll draw fans from across the state, as Tampa is so centrally located. Still, seeing as how Miami is so much bigger than Tampa, kind of a weird move! (Not complaining though!)

Offline tofubeast

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 08:42:25 AM »
I like SaintMike's theory.  But looking at the tour dates, I wonder if there is room to put Miami in there.  I wonder how long it takes them to set up this stage.  I can't remember how many days there was between stops on Popmart between cities.  Anyone remember?

Offline in_eden

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 08:42:44 AM »
They will be back in spring 2010 for another US leg. Don't freak out yet. They seem to be scheduling every 3-4 days on average... and trying to work around open dates in NFL and college stadiums in the Fall in the US is challenging. They will be able to more easily schedule in the spring and I'm sure will play SF or Oakland... as well as either Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Columbus OH, Miami FL, St. Louis, Philly, and probably a return date in Chicago and NY. They are booking in legs of around 15 shows... and saying that they'll be back in the spring probably means that about 15 cities will be visited.
Let's all not jump off anything tall just yet...

Offline tofubeast

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 08:49:49 AM »
They will be back in spring 2010 for another US leg. Don't freak out yet. They seem to be scheduling every 3-4 days on average... and trying to work around open dates in NFL and college stadiums in the Fall in the US is challenging. They will be able to more easily schedule in the spring and I'm sure will play SF or Oakland... as well as either Pittsburgh, Cleveland, or Columbus OH, Miami FL, St. Louis, Philly, and probably a return date in Chicago and NY. They are booking in legs of around 15 shows... and saying that they'll be back in the spring probably means that about 15 cities will be visited.
Let's all not jump off anything tall just yet...

True.  problem is Dolphin stadium becomes "Marlins" stadium in the spring! hehe.

I guess I will buy 2 tix for Tampa and save my other 2 "presale code" tix for the spring.

Offline jimpala

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 08:52:22 AM »
I don't mind driving to NY from Philly.  It is only 90 minutes, but I hope, if they are coming to Philly they annouce it prior to the NY/Wash pre-sale, so people can plan accordingly.  

There are a lot of open dates, so we'll see and didn't Paul McGuiness say 25 NA cities?  They haven't annouced all 25 cities yet according to my calucations.  

Jim

Offline in_eden

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 09:01:17 AM »

True.  problem is Dolphin stadium becomes "Marlins" stadium in the spring! hehe.

I guess I will buy 2 tix for Tampa and save my other 2 "presale code" tix for the spring.

At least baseball teams road trip for 7-10 days at a time.
In the fall, Dolphins stadium has... 3 tenants? The Fins, the U, and doesn't Florida International play there too?

If memory serves me right... Popmart's stage took up three days to assemble and disassemble. It doesn't seem that U2360 is any less complex... so I'd venture a guess that it will take at least as long...
Also, Popmart had THREE stages... I'll guess that live nation sprung for two, so you won't see any add on dates in new cities on the first leg. Maybe a "sell out" date where the stage remains in place...

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 09:02:06 AM »
I don't mind driving to NY from Philly.  It is only 90 minutes, but I hope, if they are coming to Philly they annouce it prior to the NY/Wash pre-sale, so people can plan accordingly. 

Same. I would hate to go trough all the trouble of doing the presale for the NY or DC show, and then have to sell those tickets and get Philly ones.

Does anyone know when the NFL finalizes their schedule?

Offline bradjs

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 09:23:51 AM »
I don't mind driving to NY from Philly.  It is only 90 minutes, but I hope, if they are coming to Philly they annouce it prior to the NY/Wash pre-sale, so people can plan accordingly. 

Same. I would hate to go trough all the trouble of doing the presale for the NY or DC show, and then have to sell those tickets and get Philly ones.

Does anyone know when the NFL finalizes their schedule?

usually by mid april the schedule is released.

Offline bradjs

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 09:27:14 AM »
I really think they are still smarting psychologically from Pop Mart.  It seems like the dates they've released are so regionally based and spread out so far (date-wise) that they want to be 100% sure that every show sells out.  It's obvious with the way that they've neglected key cities like San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, Philadelphia, Denver, etc. that they are forcing the hands of their fans in these cities to travel 3-6 hours to the closest scheduled venue for a show (and basically guaranteeing sell-outs).  I guess I'm complaining mildly - I understand that U2 got smacked around a ton on PopMart with the 25% full stadiums on a routine basis.  Still, it would be nice to see them with a little more carelessness and confidence like the old days.

Also, it's obvious from the down time between shows that they are leaving room to add 2nd night (Chicago, Toronto, etc.) once the first nights have confirmed sell-outs.  This kind of sucks for the naive fans who splurge for 3 to 4 times face value for the 12th in Chicago only to have a second date on the 13th released in 4 months - after people have been taken by an artificially tight supply and higher prices.

i think there are more factors than just popmart's result...
1)  the nfl scheduling (as many have mentioned)
2)  the fact that they want to at least work on (and probably release) another album between the 2nd and 3rd legs of this tour
3)  the weather also plays a factor with stadium shows limits in terms of how long the 2nd leg is
3)  economic climate