Author Topic: Worship Threads  (Read 2807 times)

InThisHeartland

Worship Threads
« on: November 18, 2008, 04:03:18 PM »
i personally think they're a waste of space. they are not interesting conversations, and it would be more interesting if it were more open, like instead of "pop worship thread" it could be "what do you think of pop?" more diverse responses then. any thoughts?

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
Re: Worship Threads
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 04:26:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i personally think they're a waste of space. they are not interesting conversations, and it would be more interesting if it were more open, like instead of "pop worship thread" it could be "what do you think of pop?" more diverse responses then. any thoughts?

He, he, I just started Boy worship thread, probably the minute you started this one.  ;D

But I agree that we should be allowed to say whatever our opinion is on the particular album, not just sing the praises.  :)

Boom Cha!

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 04:33:12 PM »
I'm surprised there's not a Worship Thread for either of their two most critically acclaimed albums....

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 04:42:01 PM »
I'm surprised there's not a Worship Thread for either of their two most critically acclaimed albums....

'tis indeed odd, although I suppose The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby don't provoke admiration in a strange and cultish enough manner for people to start threads over them. There's probably also the fact that, now you've mentioned it, it'll happen.

As for Worship Threads, the original one was for TUF, and then I started the Pop one. After that they've seemingly proliferated. I defend mine on the grounds that it links to videos and thus provides an important public service (without meaning to sound like I'm the BBC or anything).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 04:51:23 PM by TraKianLite/Zooropa »

Offline Van the Man Fan

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 06:51:24 PM »
I love the worship threads.  It's a great place for fanboys and fangirls of that particular album to share their love for the music, to share stories related to the album, and to celebrate a certain era of U2's music that those fans connect with for whatever reason.    I see nothing wrong with them at all.  It's not like they're limiting your ability to discuss anything.

Offline unforgettable fire

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • "Is the world really, really round?" - Larry
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 06:58:51 PM »

Well I orginally started mines intentionally being the "only" thread that worships an album. And actually when I was making it I didn't put the word "worship" in the superfiscal sense. It's mearly a name to greatly admire The Unforgettable Fire album and I simply see the word as just a "play on words" on a fanclub to admire a U2 album.

What I didn't expect was that TraKianLite/Zooropa starting a "Pop Worship Thread", naming it after TUF Worship Thread (Which btw I thought was awesome :)). Then it kinda "snowballed" from there.

But I see what your saying. Maybe we can keep the "worship" name but make the conversations more interesting?

P.S. - Sorry, InThisHeartland, if my picking of "Worship" thread annoyed you in anyway.  :-[
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 07:01:18 PM by unforgettable fire »

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 08:45:13 PM »
So we have an anti-worship worship thread.  I suppose it had to happen.   ;D

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 09:45:20 PM »
I'm sooooooo tempted to start a Worship Thread Worship Thread.

But I won't.  'cause I'm a good girl.   ;D

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 07:00:18 AM »
it would be more interesting if it were more open, like instead of "pop worship thread" it could be "what do you think of pop?" more diverse responses then.

Or say, maybe, "WAR! What is it good for?"   ;)  I like having different threads to discuss the different albums.  And as Van the Man Fan said, it doesn't limit your ability to criticize the album.  Anyone have any clever ideas for what we could call the other album threads?  I like "Now That's How You Dismantle an Atomic Bomb!".
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:00:37 AM by u2yooper »

Boom Cha!

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 08:17:45 AM »
it would be more interesting if it were more open, like instead of "pop worship thread" it could be "what do you think of pop?" more diverse responses then.

Or say, maybe, "WAR! What is it good for?"   ;)  I like having different threads to discuss the different albums.  And as Van the Man Fan said, it doesn't limit your ability to criticize the album.  Anyone have any clever ideas for what we could call the other album threads?  I like "Now That's How You Dismantle an Atomic Bomb!".

Thanks yooper! ;D

How about....The Only Thing You Can't Leave Behind Is This Album for an album thread?.....ummm....that was a bad one.... :P

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 10:11:13 AM »
Ok guilty as charged - the reason why i started the October thread was because I thought the album was taking a pasting on the site - and its an album I love. I wanted to see if i was the only one! I think TUF and PPO threads are fab - and sorry too if its all become miserable - but I'll continue worshipping!

Final sorry for pinching the idea....

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 12:14:20 PM »
"Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief"... You're just carrying on a poetic tradition, singnomore!  :D

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 01:37:03 PM »

Sounds like a new thread you could start. :)