Author Topic: The Two Americas  (Read 4104 times)

Offline unforgettable fire

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • "Is the world really, really round?" - Larry
Re: The Two Americas
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 10:16:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think it's Bono's metaphor of the "siren" might be a metaphor to how America's freedom and beauty makes it so alluring and fascinating.

Yes, definitely. U2 have a special attitude towards Americe, since they're Irish. I mean, where would the Irish be without America?

And where would Americans be without Ireland? Irish immigrants were a fundamental part in the construction of the American dream, no? John Ford, JFK and so may others were of Irish origin...

Very true. It's werid but when I saw R.E.M. Live DVD, their preformence in Ireland, everyone took them so enthusiastically, it was like they were U2 to the Irish. Maybe R.E.M. could be for Irish as U2 are for Americans.

Offline hawthorn mccadden

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 10:41:38 PM »
I think it's Bono's metaphor of the "siren" might be a metaphor to how America's freedom and beauty makes it so alluring and fascinating.

Yes, definitely. U2 have a special attitude towards Americe, since they're Irish. I mean, where would the Irish be without America?

And where would Americans be without Ireland? Irish immigrants were a fundamental part in the construction of the American dream, no? John Ford, JFK and so may others were of Irish origin...

Very true. It's werid but when I saw R.E.M. Live DVD, their preformence in Ireland, everyone took them so enthusiastically, it was like they were U2 to the Irish. Maybe R.E.M. could be for Irish as U2 are for Americans.

Well, the musical love-affair between the USA and the UK/Ireland is decades old now.

The Beatles and The Stones loved American music: blues and old/ancient 50's rock and roll. And America LOVED the Beatles and The Stones.

The Sex Pistols and The Clash, (and a very youthful U2), were smitten by New York's finest: the Ramones. And The Pistols and The Clash are still ferociously collected and listened to by many in the US...and have influenced more than one generation of American musicians. (Green Day has learned all kinda moves from The Clash).

U2 (Irish), and The Police (British) before them, were HUGE in the 80's here in the States. U2 has maintained a monolithic presence for years and years in America.

Tons of Americans love Van Morrison, Enya, The Cranberries, etc, (all Irish). (I vividly remember this getting pumped through many a friends stereo back in the 90's: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login )

As an American, I have to say the sensibility when it comes to music on the other side of the Atlantic boggles my mind, (in a great way). I have been to London twice and my experiences there have been pretty much nocturnal and centered around music. And they have been incredible visits. There is an enthusiasm and seriousness surrounding music in London that I have rarely experienced even in the the big cities of the US.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:57:49 PM by hawthorn mccadden »

Offline fresno dave

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "You wanted violins.." about.me/davewainscott
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 10:59:42 PM »
During the lyrical process of The Joshua Tree, Bono had the distinctive idea of two civilzations meeting: the desert landscape of America and the civilization landscape of America, using the two as metaphors for the junaxposing of two different self-view of America:

The Desert: The wide open spaces of the desert seems to symbolize the mytical dream of America: a place "where streets have no name", as in it's spiritually free, unbound by man-made bounderies or ideas, free to dream.

Songs that describe this: Streets, In God's Country, Trip Through Your Wires, One Tree Hill

The Civilaztion: Obviously not seen in a bad light, but perhaps this was viewed and the other side of greed, endecedance, and suffering. The consequence of political corruption, personal addiction and introspective sorrow, these things seems to symbolize how the civilazation, at least during this time, 1980s, under the Regan era, were affecting neiboughing countries, especally El Salvador, at the time. Also on how a couple is brought to their knees by addiction and a man suffering loss.

Songs that describe this: With Or Without You, Exit, Bullet the Blue Sky, Running to Stand Still, Mothers..

Put two and two together and you have not this emnitic confrontation but this meeting by these two civilazations, maybe used as a metaphor for people finding God.

Have, in my view, U2 kept this idea, it might or might have not turned into this concept album about the dream of a mythical America.

In anything, I LOVE this concept! ;D Shame they had to drop it and settle for the released Joshua Tree, which reguardless is by no means a universal classic.

What do you guys think?

Well, all these years later:

Remember, one other possible grid for Joshua Tree was Songs of Innnocence and Experience, perhaps collating that with the two Americas.   As most on the forum will probably know, they even went as far as recording " Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs Of Experience" (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login).

Clearly on the Experience album, all these decades later, they have revisited I and E, bit also the commentary on the two Americas (American Soul, etc).  So in a way, the new album is also a succesor to Joshua Tree
--
PS: According to this article, though, Intro to I and E may have been written in 1992, even though it appeared on the JT anniversary edition. Hmmm.  Maybe Bono wanted Zooropa or Pop to be I and E:

Bono:"I know it. I've just (1992)  written a song for our next record called "Songs of Innocence and Experience," after reading Blake.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:13:51 PM by fresno dave »

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 05:55:52 PM »
"The Two Americas" sounds overly contrived and on the nose. I'm glad they went with TJT