Author Topic: Why Haven't UK dates sold out yet?  (Read 2482 times)

Offline tj1968

• Party Girl/Boy
  • We wait all day for night to come...
Why Haven't UK dates sold out yet?
« on: March 28, 2009, 09:58:28 AM »
It seems that almost everywhere else the 360 Tour has sold out but not in the UK (apart from the first night at Wembley) are my homeland U2 fans not interested?

andyt

Re: Why Haven't UK dates sold out yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 10:00:53 AM »

The UK can be quite a cynical place - I should know, I live here.

I think people are a little bored of bono and some of the dubious people he likes to be seen with.

Also, the new single was terrible and didn't do too well. The new album is average too.

There's also a recession going on in case no one had noticed and people don't like giving the little money they have to rich rock stars.

Offline tj1968

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 10:07:35 AM »
Like the reply, I can only agree. I'm off to the Cardiff show and can't wait I just wish others could share my excitment!

There is a recession in the US, and their shows are selling out.

Maybe it would be a different story if they just played one town in the UK like Wembley?

Who knows?!

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
  • Sponsored by Blackberry!
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 10:38:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Also, the new single was terrible and didn't do too well. The new album is average too.

The decision to lead off with Boots as the first single was horrendous.  It's actually not that bad of a song, but as the first single it will inevitably be compared (unfavorably) to Vertigo.  It's also the "same old lead single" for U2 - like Vertigo and Discotheque it kind of misrepresents what the rest of the album is about.

A much better first choice - really the ONLY choice - was Magnificent.  It would have struck a chord with all U2 fans.  It's hands down the best song on the album and probably the only song on the album that has a chance of being played in 10 years.  I have no idea why U2 decided to lead off with Boots.

Also - how the heck are Boots and Vertigo both going to be played at the same concert?  They're annoyingly similar and I really don't want to hear both.  I'm kind of ticked at U2 lately and I can't really put my finger on it.  I'm just annoyed in all directions.  Thank God for Magnificent because without that song I'd probably be feeling even harder on them.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 10:45:19 AM »
Like the reply, I can only agree. I'm off to the Cardiff show and can't wait I just wish others could share my excitment!

Actually, they haven't gone on sale yet, I'd be shocked if they sold out in the US when they do

Offline tj1968

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 11:00:15 AM »
Yes, its h Concert Packages that have sold out, sorry!

Offline JasontheJedi

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 11:30:35 AM »
Boots members were already complaining about not being able to get a good seat in the North American presales. If there's trouble for people in the presale, I don't think they'll have trouble selling out the big cities once the public sale starts.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 11:32:42 AM by JasontheJedi »

Offline jayb77

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 04:23:59 PM »
it's the prices thats putting people off.

only hardcore u2 fans are going to pay 150+booking fee for one ticket in the middle of a credit crunch.

oasis and coldplay are both playing the uk this summer and there are only asking for between 55 and 75 for stadium shows.

the people are still there but not the money.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 04:41:43 PM »
Boots members were already complaining about not being able to get a good seat in the North American presales. If there's trouble for people in the presale, I don't think they'll have trouble selling out the big cities once the public sale starts.

Depends on which tickets are in the presale allotment

typically there is a mix of good, bad, crap seats in most presales

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 05:15:48 PM »
If you charge a ridiculous 150 for a seat at a stadium gig then it will never sell out, none of the dates are sold out including Wembley! (if you want to buy one of the over priced seats goto to Ticketline.co.uk) The 150 rip off seats will still be there the day before the show, it's an outrageous price to pay and people are simply not be duped , that's the reason they have not sold out.
You go with your pal/girlfriend/wife/partner and it costs over 300 for the privilege , are you feckin kiddding me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 07:39:12 PM »

People in Cardiff, Sheffield and Glasgow are *far* too smart to pay 150 to see U2 (from a crappy / distant / choose-your-own-pejorative seat).

There are enough mugs elsewhere who'll pay that price. Fair play to U2 for asking, more respect to Cardiff, Sheffield & Glasgow for saying "no, ta".

Offline spgny

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 09:46:25 PM »

Actually, they haven't gone on sale yet, I'd be shocked if they sold out in the US when they do

Not sell out Chicago, Boston, NY...?? I will easily take the other side of this trade...........Even in a recession, it is not a question of if, but how many.......

BTW...I believe UK dates will eventually sell out...stadiums are bigger

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 10:44:25 PM »

Not sell out Chicago, Boston, NY...?? I will easily take the other side of this trade...........Even in a recession, it is not a question of if, but how many.......

BTW...I believe UK dates will eventually sell out...stadiums are bigger

there's more to the tour than 3 dates, betcha it won't sell out

Offline tj1968

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 05:35:20 AM »
If you charge a ridiculous 150 for a seat at a stadium gig then it will never sell out, none of the dates are sold out including Wembley! (if you want to buy one of the over priced seats goto to Ticketline.co.uk) The 150 rip off seats will still be there the day before the show, it's an outrageous price to pay and people are simply not be duped , that's the reason they have not sold out.
You go with your pal/girlfriend/wife/partner and it costs over 300 for the privilege , are you feckin kiddding me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to U2.com the first night in Wembley is sold out.......

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 06:37:46 AM »
Toronto will sell out faster than Boston, NY and Chicago.  Guaranteed.