Author Topic: The Band Aren't Getting Any Younger  (Read 7570 times)

daveyg

The Band Aren't Getting Any Younger
« on: December 01, 2008, 06:43:20 AM »
Not sue if this should be here or in the General Discussion.... I'll post it here anyhows!

I was having a conversation yesterday with one of my friends about U2, and came up with some points I thought I'd throw out there for discussion:

1. How do you think the guys in U2 feel about living in each others' boots since they were teenagers? I have friends since I was a teenager, but I have work (not with them), family, and other general living that keeps our meetings-up well enough apart. I can't imagine living the cycle of the four yearly cycle write-rehearse-record-mix-promote-gig (and back to the begining) with them all my working life. They're approaching their 50s now so it mustn't be too much of an issue though

2. On that note, they're approching their 50s. Do you think they'll retire or do a Rolling Stones and continue well into their 70s. Or will they slowly wind down, not sticking to the write-rehearse-record-mix-promote-gig cycle? Maybe writing and recording at their own pace and appearing for mini-tours? Im sure (maybe I could be corrected) at least one of them wants to be able to site back at the age of 65 and enjoy the fruits of their work since they were spotty teenagers without having to get up, stand in a studio with three other lads trying to come up with new material, followed by a grueling two year tour living from hotel room to hotel room.

3.I know Bono and Edge have their sideline bits and bobs. Im sure these might increase and U2 stuff might decrease with time. Will they ever be a Senator Adam (I almost added a "grey heaired" before that!!) at some stage stiing in the Irish Parliament? Being quoted talking about issues on the arts as the "ex bassist of U2"?

4. I know circumstanes were slightly different for the Beatles and Led Zepp, but will they be our generation's equivalent? Will our 1 year olds now in 15 years time be asking us if we ever saw U2 live? Will they be moping in their bedrooms listening to Pop as a retro album?

........just a few comments.... add more if need be!!

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
Re: The Band Aren't Getting Any Younger
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 07:02:30 AM »
1) Bono once said that U2 was a better group than the Beatles...He didn't mean that musically speaking, of course, but was reffering to their relationships as friends. Bill Flanaghan also describes that during the Zoo TV Tour, when given a choice to sit at a table with the tour crew in a restaurant, most of the time those 4 guys stuck together. Now, that was 15 years ago.

2)They love touring so much. I don't see them stop. Recordings are another thing but the next album could give us a clue.

3)Adam has a criminal record and has gone public with his alcohol habits, not too good for a political career, IMHO.

4)There can't be any equivalent to the Beatles or (to a lesser extent) Led Zep because they were the first of their kind and made groundbreaking music. I love U2 and they certainly are special but they've been good at putting new external ingredients in their own music rather than making the stuff up.

All of this is my opinion. I might be wrong.

daveyg

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 07:13:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1) Bono once said that U2 was a better group than the Beatles...He didn't mean that musically speaking, of course, but was reffering to their relationships as friends. Bill Flanaghan also describes that during the Zoo TV Tour, when given a choice to sit at a table with the tour crew in a restaurant, most of the time those 4 guys stuck together. Now, that was 15 years ago.

2)They love touring so much. I don't see them stop. Recordings are another thing but the next album could give us a clue.

3)Adam has a criminal record and has gone public with his alcohol habits, not too good for a political career, IMHO.

4)There can't be any equivalent to the Beatles or (to a lesser extent) Led Zep because they were the first of their kind and made groundbreaking music. I love U2 and they certainly are special but they've been good at putting new external ingredients in their own music rather than making the stuff up.

All of this is my opinion. I might be wrong.

All good points... Well, I only used the Senator Adam example as an off the top of my head example. Should have put an [INSERT AN OLDER VERSION OF ONE OF THE BAND MEMBERS DOING A JOB LATER IN LIFE OTHER THAN MUSIC]  there instead. Though a Senator Adam, all things being equal would be interesting! :)

And I have heard they do really look after their staff as well. Something that I rekon that really supports them at what they're good at - making music.

And of course, all very speculative. And opinions are what makes these boards interesting! I've seen other boards going way off the board because people don't realise what these things are all about... their opinions. :)

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 07:32:49 AM »
You're really bringing me down, daveyg.  Because if U2 are getting older, then I guess that means I'm getting older, too.   :'(  I think, for us older fans, acknowledging that our guys are aging is kind of hard, because our youth is tied up with memories of them (among other things).  When younger people argue that they aren't relevant to the music scene anymore, it kind of feels like a personal insult.  Because if they aren't cool, then probably I'm not cool anymore either.  And darnit, I am, too, cool!  (Only in my own head.)  I sure don't want to see them hopping around stage in their geriatric years, like the Stones.  Is there an uncharted way to stay in the music business and make good music while maintaining your dignity and respecting your age?  i don't want them to turn into Frank Sinatra or Tony Bennett, I just want to continue to hear awesome music from sexy guys close to my own age.  Is that too much to expect?

daveyg

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 07:46:14 AM »
Well that's what really started my initial conversation with my friend. We were thinking of us way back being teenagers bopping to Bono and the boys. In my head, I'm still 15, but my belly reminds me way too often that I'm not.

Although I think they are as relevent today to you're average 15 year old as they were when I was 15 (come on teenagers here! Back me up on this one! :) )

Raher than being depressing, I find it kinda cool. Growing up with the band. Telling stories to my teen age eldest son, and now being able to go to U2 gigs with him.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 07:48:39 AM by daveyg »

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 07:52:14 AM »
Yeah, you're right.  That is pretty cool.  Can you believe they've stayed together all these years?  Beatles fans never got to enjoy their band like we do.  In my head, I'm still the girl I was when I saw SBS on MTV and Bono's still the same guy who was marching around with the white flag.  My mirror lies! 

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 07:58:11 AM »
Since they don't seem to all be aging at the same speed, with Larry looking 10 years everyone's junior (imo) maybe they'll start putting him in front on posters, record covers, etc, with the rest in the back. Sort of like the picture below, but in proper order, with Larry at the head of the pack.

As far as the rest I wouldn't worry about it for the next 15 years. As long as the ideas for good music are coming, I don't think an insignificant detail like age will keep them from recording or touring. There is no age limit for greatness.
I also think they'll continue to get new and young fans, the only difference will be, girls won't be making comments like "I never thought someone my dad's age can be this hot" but "I never thought someone grandpa's age can be this hot"  ;)

Last but not least, I think working with your best friends...the job you love to do... we can only envy them.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 08:02:55 AM »
Ooooh, lots of good stuff daveyg!  I thought about it and here is my humble opinion-I'll keep it short because as you can see from my posts, I wander and get a bit wordy!!
1.  They will always stick together like glue.  Friendships like that are rare and I think they know and treasure that way beyond the "band."  It would have to be something really MAJOR to break that bond.
2.  They'll still tour. As you said, they love it.  Perhaps they will make it shorter and not go to quite as many places but stop - not yet. Perhaps they will take their time recording and not rush (like this record!) but they have a lot of music left in them.
3.  I see Bono going beyond music to some degree but not the others.  Well, Bono already has his activism.  He will always be involved in that-maybe more so as time goes on.
4.  I'd like to think they would be our generation's equivalent-perhaps to some degree they are. They do matter and will be mentioned as one of the greats in years to come. I truly believe that even though I am a fan.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 11:17:19 AM »
They still have plenty of years ahead of them to keep making music.

However, I hope they don't pull a Rolling Stones and perform when they're the same age as my grandparents (right now they're the same age as my parents).

I saw The Rolling Stones during the Super Bowl half time show a few years back. I get a little sick just thinking about it. *shudders*

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 11:18:15 AM »
Nice picture, Starfish,  Keep Bono right where he is- in front where I can see him better!  I'll admit, you're right about Larry.  He looks eternally young.  I don't care if their music continues to top the charts forever.  I just hope they'll continue to make music that's meaningful to them and to us.  Maybe as they get older, they'll worry less about every album blowing the world away, and be happy to  just continue with their craft, however their sales go.  I think there would be meaning and value in that.  Of course, my fingers are crossed that their new one blows everyone away!

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 05:20:31 PM »
Daveyg I can't believe we are having this discussion U2 in their 50's where has the time gone ?!! But i suppose we all have to face the facts . U2 can't keep on touring forever , well not the big tours they do now and I'm not too sure i would like them to end up like the 'stones' . like watching your Dad trying to dance at a party , not good !
The trouble is though that U2 come alive on tour and if that ended would they still have the same enthusiasm to make the records still and then would the outside projects take precedence especially with Bono ?
Whatever happens I'm sure we are all in for a great ride with U2 in the coming years .Maybe just not as fast as we've been used to . I'm sure they will continue to make great music together !
Oh and thanks for making us older fans feel our age lol ! i always find it worrying when you say to younger fans that you like U2's older albums and they think you mean The Joshua Tree ( it only seams like yesterday i was buying that still a teenager ) and i mean Boy and October !

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 05:01:29 AM »
Although I think they are as relevent today to you're average 15 year old as they were when I was 15 (come on teenagers here! Back me up on this one! :) )

I cant speck for the 15 year olds but for the 18 year old I think they are relevent. If Bono can still speak through the music to my friends then that means they are really relevant.

If you think about it U2 are what younger bands what to be like (no matter what the lead singer of spittlefinger says (personal issues I just really hate that guy)).

I think if they still have the drive to orbit the moon and turn into moltern rock then we have nothing to worry about!

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 12:19:23 PM »

Well I turned 16 a week ago.  Do I still count. ;) :D

I think them staying relevent depends on the music they make. I know that alot of my friend's, while not being fans, respect their music. This is mainly due to vertigo, Because while not there best song. Its quite a cool modern rock song with plenty of distortion and stuff.

If this next album is the (i say heavy) rock album im hoping it will be, then im sure it will grab their attention.

Im trying to get my friend into U2, he only like's rock/punk kind of stuff and apart from virtigo and some others their isn't much to show him. Do I say. Oh this is I will Follow. It was punky 28 years ago lol, if you get what im trying to say. Except for Electric Co Live in Chicago that rocks lol.

Mal

On another note my brother who like My chemical romance, muse, Lost profets, skillet and stuff like that. Say's yahweh is his favourite and their best song.

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 12:42:27 PM »
^ I never trust a My Chemical Romance fan

But your brother is ok though.

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 12:56:13 PM »
hello Malachi!!

I have just a little advice for you, I started listening to U2 back in 1983, I have meet people who are just as big of a fan as I am and see things as I do, and I have meet those "roll their eyes at me oh your a U2 fan"  when I know secretly that they have some admiration for the band.

Anyway, be proud to love such a progressive, full of life, always changing, might make mistakes but still keep on trucking band!  I have found forcing my friends over the years to see the band as I do does not work, they just don't "get" it and there is no point wasting your time when you could be enjoying it on a personal level.

so welcome to the U2 world and here's to 25 more years of great music. (I mean don't they have like 150 songs recorded for the new quadruple album?)