Author Topic: Manic Street Preachers appreciation thread  (Read 12136 times)

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
Manic Street Preachers appreciation thread
« on: March 31, 2009, 04:53:13 PM »
I haven't heard the Manics get much of a mention on this group, so I thought it's about time they got one  ;)

They have been making music for 20 years. There is quite a difference between their Richey era ( Generation Terrorists, Gold Against the Soul, The Holy Bible) and post- Richey material when they became a 3-piece (Everything Must Go onwards). They are great live and I've seen them many times. James Dean Bradfield is a great guitarist playing his trademark white Gibson. The Holy Bible in particular is quite a tough listen. They had much more commercial success post Richey and developed a slightly more melodic sound. Everything Must Go and This is My Truth Tell Me Yours were classic albums with anthems like Design for Life and If You Tolerate This. They scored an unexpected first number one of the new millennium with Masses Against the Classes. Their next 2 albums weren't quite as good but 2007's Send Away the Tigers was a real return to form and the band seemed passionate and angry again.

Their 9th studio album 'Journal for Plague Lovers' will be an interesting one, because it features lyrics written by Richey.

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
Re: Manic Street Preachers appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 05:17:06 PM »
It's about time, I'm in!

But I don't think they'll get much love round here unfortunately, they didn't really show up on the radar outside of Europe for some reason, which is a real shame because they are truly amazing. I've been hooked since Everything Must Go came out when I was like 14 or 15. I remember when I heard A Design For Life for the first time, I knew it was something pretty special. It changed my life really, it changed my music taste, my appearance. I suppose the Manics, along with Placebo and a few other bands helped make me what I am today. They all came into my life at such an important time, now here I am 13 years later, I'm kind of stuck with them! Forever!

And that's not a bad thing!  ;)

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 05:51:22 PM »
Surely there's more than two of us here that appreaciate this fantastic band???

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 07:05:29 PM »
If You Tolerate This....one of the best non-U2 tracks EVER!!!!

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 08:19:17 PM »
La Tristesse Durera (Scream To A Sigh) is probably my fave.

It's delicate thunder.

Offline ForeverDelayed

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 08:34:32 PM »
My screenname is a Manics reference, so I guess you could say I'm a fan ;)

The Holy Bible is one of the bleakest most depressing albums ever recorded, yet something about it is just exhilarating. One of the top albums of the 90's for sure. Every album is pretty good for the most part, just a few awkward songs here and there. It's a shame no one over here in the states knows who they are. Everytime I play them for someone they say "wow this is great! How have I never heard of these guys until now???"

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 08:36:53 PM »
I think they still split their royalties 4 ways, have an account set up for Richey.

The guys been missing for like 15 years. That's pretty cool.

Offline ForeverDelayed

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 08:49:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think they still split their royalties 4 ways, have an account set up for Richey.

The guys been missing for like 15 years. That's pretty cool.
They just recently proclaimed him dead. I don't have a link offhand, but it shouldn't be too hard to find, they posted about it on their myspace. Must be crazy to be hoping for years and then finally have to admit that he's most likely never going to be found.

Offline ITM

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My first cry, it was a joyful noise,
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 09:13:12 PM »
Love MSP.

This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours is one of my favourite albums all time, and certainly of the nineties.

For a moment there, and especially on the album's first half, I had once thought, "Could these guys continue when and where U2 leave off?"

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 07:53:34 AM »
i love the manics. i think this is my truth is their finest hour, and contrary to most, i prefer the second half of the album. black dog and be natural are up there with the finest stuff they have ever written.

i rate the album lifeblood a close second to this is my truth. 1985, repel ghosts, solitude and empty souls are all GREAT tracks on a great album.

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 08:46:42 AM »
_ sure when i make a thread about them eveyone igmores it but when some one else does its like: OMG!!!!!!!

I smell a conspiracey!

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 11:06:34 AM »
I've only heard some Manics, but they've got some awesome songs. La Tristesse Durera, Design for Life, Motorcycle Emptiness, Tsunami and If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next are favourites of mine.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 03:03:36 PM »
I've only heard some Manics, but they've got some awesome songs. La Tristesse Durera, Design for Life, Motorcycle Emptiness, Tsunami and If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next are favourites of mine.

those are great songs - their last album - 2007's Send Away the Tigers was great.
It had the singles 'Your Love Alone Is Not Enough' with vocals from Nina from the Cardigans
and 'Autumnsong'. Easily as good as their 90s output.

Offline EdgeLike

• Stateless
  • http://www.last.fm/user/EdgeLike
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 04:06:01 PM »
They are a great band from what I've heard. I recently aqcuired their entire discography, though I haven't listened to all of it.

Offline ForeverDelayed

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 11:27:12 PM »
i love the manics. i think this is my truth is their finest hour, and contrary to most, i prefer the second half of the album. black dog and be natural are up there with the finest stuff they have ever written.

i rate the album lifeblood a close second to this is my truth. 1985, repel ghosts, solitude and empty souls are all GREAT tracks on a great album.
This Is My Truth... is definitely my #2 Manics' album, but Holy Bible is just so damn good. And I totally agree with you about Lifeblood, it's criminally overlooked. Full of amazing songs, and I love the production, it almost sounds like a U2 album at times.