Author Topic: Manic Street Preachers appreciation thread  (Read 14462 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: Manic Street Preachers appreciation thread
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2013, 01:21:29 AM »
I love that!

They played Revol at the Aussie shows last week. So good to hear that.

Caught them 3 times in 2 weeks, Melbourne, then a free gig at Melbourne's fed square, then up in Sydney.

Absolutely brilliant stuff. Can't wait to hear the new album(s).

marvgadgie

« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2013, 02:29:25 PM »
I saw 'em twice back in the mid 90's when they were still a four piece. They were by a country mile the best band at Glastonbury in 1994 and I listened to the bootleg tape I bought of their set the morning after over and over again for months. Have dipped in and out over the years but still love the first three LP's.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2013, 07:51:18 PM »
I wish I'd seen them as a 4 piece. Not that Richey did anything... but just the whole aura around them.

They first toured here in 1999, remains to this day in the top handful of shows I've been to. 2010 was a great tour and this one just gone was a complete celebration.

Saw them in Dublin in 99 as well which was a cracking gig as well.

The Holy Bible is my all time favourite album. Lyrically without any peer.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2014, 08:20:18 AM »
20 years ago this week, this band released the Holy Bible. It remains probably my favourite album of all time. It fights with a few others but there's none other like it. Absolute genius lyrically, musically, and so out of step with everything that was going on at the same time in the UK...

Happy (?) Birthday to the Holy Bible. And Rest, or live, in peace Richey Edwards...

macfoley

« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2014, 11:01:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I wish I'd seen them as a 4 piece. Not that Richey did anything... but just the whole aura around them.

They first toured here in 1999, remains to this day in the top handful of shows I've been to. 2010 was a great tour and this one just gone was a complete celebration.

Saw them in Dublin in 99 as well which was a cracking gig as well.

The Holy Bible is my all time favourite album. Lyrically without any peer.

Holy Bible is a fantastic album and certainly a refined, aggressive album that defines them.

I saw them in Plymouth on their greatest hits tour and it was a really good gig and they sounded fantastic live. Also met James in Amsterdam in a random situation in the streets. Quite a smallish fellow he is.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2014, 06:07:15 PM »
James is tiny. I'm about the same height as Nicky, whereas James would be lucky to come to my shoulder. Great guys though, always up for a chat.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2014, 02:45:42 AM »
20 years ago this week, this band released the Holy Bible. It remains probably my favourite album of all time. It fights with a few others but there's none other like it. Absolute genius lyrically, musically, and so out of step with everything that was going on at the same time in the UK...

Happy (?) Birthday to the Holy Bible. And Rest, or live, in peace Richey Edwards...

An album of epic tortured beauty and pain....

The way James fitted the music around Richeys words and still managed to create tunes that stuck in your head was an incredible feat.

I love that album.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2014, 02:51:23 AM »
I'm pretty sure I've got a top ten somewhere in this thread but I'll do it again and see how different it turns out...

I'm with you on the holy bible. Top 5 albums of all time for me that one.

1. Yes
2. Stay Beautiful
3. Roses in the Hospital
4. Faster
5. Me & Steven Hawking
6. 4st 7lbs
7. Motorcycle Emptiness
8. This is Yesterday
9. Little Baby Nothing
10. PCP

Staggeringly good band.

1. Of Walking Abortion
2. She is Suffering
3. 4st 7lbs
4. Faster
5. Enola/Alone
6. This is Yesterday
7. Removables
8. The Girl Who Wanted to be God
9. Life Becoming a Landslide
10. La Tristesse Durera

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2014, 04:52:46 AM »
Last flight to leave Moscow from futurology is pretty special too. As is the title track.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2014, 06:39:44 AM »
The new album is ace ... I'm not really a maniacs fan but I can't stop playing the new record

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2014, 06:52:57 AM »
The new album is ace ... I'm not really a maniacs fan but I can't stop playing the new record

Yep. Yet another change in direction that works. You'd never think rewind the film and futurology were the same band.

Reminds me of the PJ Harvey contrasts, eg Stories from the city vs Let england shake.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2014, 09:28:26 AM »

Yep. Yet another change in direction that works. You'd never think rewind the film and futurology were the same band.

Reminds me of the PJ Harvey contrasts, eg Stories from the city vs Let england shake.

I really enjoyed the new stuff live as well - a band I think who is really good at keeping their specific sound fresh

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2015, 07:19:18 PM »
Watched their fan-made but highly professional documentary "No Manifesto" yesterday. Really good collection of material, including some Nicky Wire provided footage on VHS from their 2nd gig as teenagers in Blackwood. Pelted with beer bottles and enduring chants like 'you're worse than Swansea City', the band were a long way from where the years would take them.

Really good insight from a film that took 13 years to compile and release.

Definitely recommend.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2015, 07:50:34 PM »

Selected bits from their Cardiff Castle show last week. Sounding superb. Wish they'd toured that over here, very jealous of those of you in the states who go to see it.

As darkness falls and they give us 'This is Yesterday' with the castle overlooking the band, what a moment.

Think U2 in Slane.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:55:50 PM by briscoetheque »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2015, 04:11:50 PM »
Thanks for the youtube link for the Cardiff Castle gig.  It feels weird seeing them doing The Holy Bible outdoors and to so many people... never really enjoyed attending Manics gigs outdoors (in contrast to U2) but the material is fantastic.  "Yes" is a great concert opener. 

Totally agree The Holy Bible is one of the greatest albums ever made.  Here's some youtube from back in the day when there were 4 of them, recorded a month or two before they released this materpiece album: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login