Author Topic: Manic Street Preachers appreciation thread  (Read 11937 times)

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
Re: Manic Street Preachers appreciation thread
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 06:20:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
i love the manics. i think this is my truth is their finest hour, and contrary to most, i prefer the second half of the album. black dog and be natural are up there with the finest stuff they have ever written.

i rate the album lifeblood a close second to this is my truth. 1985, repel ghosts, solitude and empty souls are all GREAT tracks on a great album.
This Is My Truth... is definitely my #2 Manics' album, but Holy Bible is just so damn good. And I totally agree with you about Lifeblood, it's criminally overlooked. Full of amazing songs, and I love the production, it almost sounds like a U2 album at times.

The Holy Bible is an amazing album. It took me years to really get my head round it though! I love Die In The Summertime.

I also agree Lifeblood is a great album. Know Your Enemy is another great Manics album that gets overlooked way too much. It's a work of genius. And it has Introvenous Agnostic on it which is one of my all time fave Manics songs. Plus there's Ocean Spray & Let Robeson Sing, both as good as anything they've done.  :)

Offline ForeverDelayed

• Stateless
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 10:28:54 PM »
i love the manics. i think this is my truth is their finest hour, and contrary to most, i prefer the second half of the album. black dog and be natural are up there with the finest stuff they have ever written.

i rate the album lifeblood a close second to this is my truth. 1985, repel ghosts, solitude and empty souls are all GREAT tracks on a great album.
This Is My Truth... is definitely my #2 Manics' album, but Holy Bible is just so damn good. And I totally agree with you about Lifeblood, it's criminally overlooked. Full of amazing songs, and I love the production, it almost sounds like a U2 album at times.

The Holy Bible is an amazing album. It took me years to really get my head round it though! I love Die In The Summertime.

I also agree Lifeblood is a great album. Know Your Enemy is another great Manics album that gets overlooked way too much. It's a work of genius. And it has Introvenous Agnostic on it which is one of my all time fave Manics songs. Plus there's Ocean Spray & Let Robeson Sing, both as good as anything they've done.  :)
I will never understand why so many people absolutely hate Know Your Enemy. Sure it jumps all over the place stylistically, but there really isn't a bad song on it, and like you said, some of them rank amongst their best. It almost plays like a retrospective, summing up every direction they attempted in the previous decade or so, and doing it quite well. If I wanted to introduce someone to the Manics, KYE would be the album I chose, and depending on which songs they liked I'd know what other albums to recommend.

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 05:00:31 AM »
It's a shame no one over here in the states knows who they are. Everytime I play them for someone they say "wow this is great! How have I never heard of these guys until now???"

I just noticed this post you made earlier, very interesting comment. You know, there have been loads of bands over the years who have been massive in UK & Europe, who make really catchy anthemic songs but for some reason fail to crack America. I often wondered what the reaction would be if someone played some of these songs to fans of similar music from the US. And you've kinda proved what I thought. Just because your from America doesn't mean your not going to enjoy this music! So why then, do these bands fail to get noticed over there? Off the top of my head I can think of Placebo, Suede, Ash, Mansun, The Verve, James.....

But then you take a band like The Killers. They are very similar to these kinds of bands. Indeed, that is why they made it big in the UK long before they cracked America. But they did crack America, eventually. So why not the Manics? Or the others I mentioned?

Strange  ??? :-\

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 01:12:47 PM »
NEW MANICS MATERIAL!!!  ;D Check out this new manics song...

It's called Jackie Collins Existential Question Time, it's on the right hand side near the bottom.

I love it! It's the best thing they've done in ages! Makes me feel 15 again! haha!

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 02:20:24 PM »
great! You just know with a title like that it was written by Richie..

Offline ForeverDelayed

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 11:43:35 PM »
It's a shame no one over here in the states knows who they are. Everytime I play them for someone they say "wow this is great! How have I never heard of these guys until now???"

I just noticed this post you made earlier, very interesting comment. You know, there have been loads of bands over the years who have been massive in UK & Europe, who make really catchy anthemic songs but for some reason fail to crack America. I often wondered what the reaction would be if someone played some of these songs to fans of similar music from the US. And you've kinda proved what I thought. Just because your from America doesn't mean your not going to enjoy this music! So why then, do these bands fail to get noticed over there? Off the top of my head I can think of Placebo, Suede, Ash, Mansun, The Verve, James.....

But then you take a band like The Killers. They are very similar to these kinds of bands. Indeed, that is why they made it big in the UK long before they cracked America. But they did crack America, eventually. So why not the Manics? Or the others I mentioned?

Strange  ??? :-\
It's funny, I actually like all of the bands you mentioned. I've never been able to figure out why they didn't break big in the US either. The same thing goes for Canadian bands - why has no one heard of Sloan, yet Nickelback is on the radio 24/7? I'm starting to think these days in order to get popular in the US you have to suck.

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 07:29:17 AM »

I'm starting to think these days in order to get popular in the US you have to suck.

^^ that was very funny!  :D

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 07:32:15 AM »
What does everyone think of the new track?

I loves it!  ;D

JoshuasTree

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 04:46:14 PM »
Count me in. I don't know their music that well and only heard two albums,Everything Must Go and This is my secret,show me yours i think its called(I'm hopeless!) But i want to hear more. I love a song of theirs called Motorcycle Emptiness i think,from an early album? Must find more!

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 05:33:57 PM »
This is My Truth, Tell Me Yours  ;)

Motorcycle Emptiness is a great song - but the album it comes from, their debut 'Generation Terrorists' is probably my least favourite Manics album. It's long at 18 tracks (UK version) and a bit patchy.

Try 2007's Send Away the Tigers - it's a guitar-rock gem and has an excellent cover of Working Class Hero. If you like Everything Must Go and TIMTTMY you'll like this one.

Offline tucka

• Babyface
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 12:22:46 PM »
i'm selling 2 standing tickets at wolverhampton civic hall on 1st june if anyones interested. i cant go anymore because i have an exam the day after

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 01:50:43 PM »
i'm selling 2 standing tickets at wolverhampton civic hall on 1st june if anyones interested. i cant go anymore because i have an exam the day after

*wimpers* *storms out and slams door*

*cries*

JoshuasTree

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »
Ha,used to live near Wolverhampton! I'd have taken em off you if i still lived there!

Offline EdgeLike

• Stateless
  • http://www.last.fm/user/EdgeLike
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 06:16:16 PM »
The annoying thing is that I can't understand what James is singing like 99% of the time. :-[.

And the Manics are definitely better than the Killers.

Offline ForeverDelayed

• Stateless
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2009, 09:07:11 PM »
New album has leaked...... and it's amazing! Musically and lyrically it's very much cut from the same fabric as Holy Bible, but with a few surprises to be had. There's a few of those weird little dialog snippets between songs too. It feels like the mid 90's all over again, in a good way. Standout tracks include Me And Stephen Hawking, Peeled Apples, and Facing Page Top Left. Best thing they've done in a decade, easily. I can't wait until the physical release...