Author Topic: Manic Street Preachers appreciation thread  (Read 12199 times)

Boom Cha!

Re: Manic Street Preachers appreciation thread
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2010, 08:56:04 PM »
I've heard a lot of good things, but I don't think I've ever listened to the Manic Street Preachers.

I'd love to see what all the fuss is about. Any ideas on which album to start with?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2010, 09:40:08 PM »
There are, to me, two distinct Manic Street Preachers type sounds...

With Richey, Without Richey.

With Richey... angry, aggressive, brilliantly written (both musically and lyrically) but a heavier sound.
Generation Terrorists
Gold Against The Soul
The Holy Bible
Journal For Plague Lovers (released last year, but with all lyrics written by Richey)

Without Richey... generally a fuller, more produced sound (think strings and grandiose soaring stuff)
This is My Truth
Send Away The Tigers
Lifeblood
Postcards from a Young Man

I reckon Everything Must Go and Know Your Enemy are a mixture of both sounds, with Everything Must Go being far superior to KYE.

I think The Holy Bible and Journal For Plague Lovers are their most brilliant Richey albums.

I think Postcards from a Young Man and This is My Truth are their most brilliant non-Richey Albums.

Everything must go is a great starting point for you as it's a brilliant 50/50 album. 

I'm not being very committal here...

OK, here's my advice.

Get Generation Terrorists - it's their first and shows you precisely where they came from.
Get The Holy Bible - it goes some way to conveying how Richey was feeling and giving some background to his disappearance
Get Everything Must Go - a most amazing effort from a band going through grief and confusion, but finding a way of dealing with both through music.
Get Postcards from a Young Man - to show how far this band have come whilst maturing

Of course 'Forever Delayed', their compilation gives you a great cross section too.

Personally, I think The Holy Bible is the greatest album of all time. by anyone. Ever.

Doesn't mean it's always my favourite.

But I think it's the best.

deco20

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2010, 09:43:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've heard a lot of good things, but I don't think I've ever listened to the Manic Street Preachers.

I'd love to see what all the fuss is about. Any ideas on which album to start with?

If you're a fan of U2's ATYCLB, go listen to Manics's Send Away The Tigers.

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2010, 10:08:28 PM »
Boom! You didn't tell me! I'll be more than glad to point out key tracks from the Manics!

I started with Forever Delayed...they had a song on there I don't think was released elsewhere: "There by the Grace of God." I think it's a brilliant, universally-appealing song. But that compilation definitely gives you a good introduction to the band. Then of course I'd say Generation Terrorists, The Holy Bible, Send Away the Tigers and Journal for Plague Lovers. I haven't heard the new album yet though.

And um...TOURING THE US?! I need to check this out!

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2010, 11:26:27 PM »

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2010, 11:28:39 PM »
And um...TOURING THE US?! I need to check this out!

Not quite official yet, but from Sean's mouth You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Any plans for an American tour?

Yeah, definitely. We're looking at March/April next year. We're not gonna wait 10 more years to come see you guys and drive coast to coast! We loved it and got a lot of inspiration from our last trip to the States.

deco20

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2010, 12:05:50 AM »

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Am I not right?  ;D

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2010, 12:18:49 AM »
Quote from: Deco20
Am I not right?

Well, you are. if I choose to interpret it as follows...

"If you're a fan of U2's ATYCLB, go listen to Manics 'Send Away The Tigers'... then you'll reconsider being a fan of U2's ATYCLB as you quickly realise what music CAN sound like"

;D

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2010, 07:25:24 AM »
Quote from: Deco20
Am I not right?

Well, you are. if I choose to interpret it as follows...

"If you're a fan of U2's ATYCLB, go listen to Manics 'Send Away The Tigers'... then you'll reconsider being a fan of U2's ATYCLB as you quickly realise what music CAN sound like"

;D

;D ;D

I don't really see any comparisons between the two. But I would recommend Send Away the Tigers to someone new to the Manics. It's catchy and commercial but also manages to be angry and loud! And it's only 36 minutes long - there's no filler.
Generation Terrorists is IMO their worst album, it's too long and the quality control dips a bit - having said that it contains the sublime Motorcycle Emptiness and You Love Us.
The Holy Bible is awesome but quite a difficult listen, so not for the light-hearted!
Everything Must Go and TIMTTMY are similar but EMG is better and the singles (Design for Life, Kevin Carter and title track are great)

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2010, 06:04:35 PM »
Generation Terrorists... yeah it probably is 2-3 tracks too long but Stay Beautiful, You Love Us, Love's Sweet Exile, Little Baby Nothing (which I just wish Kylie had agreed to sing  ;D), Born To End, Motorcycle, Slash & Burn, Spectators of Suicide...

Well they are all superb.

I can do without Crucifix Kiss, Methadone Pretty, and Damn Dog if I have to.

I think Lifeblood is their worst. Bloated and misguided.

I like Tigers, but HATE Autumnsong.

deco20

« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2010, 06:58:08 PM »
Generation Terrorists... yeah it probably is 2-3 tracks too long but Stay Beautiful, You Love Us, Love's Sweet Exile, Little Baby Nothing (which I just wish Kylie had agreed to sing  ;D), Born To End, Motorcycle, Slash & Burn, Spectators of Suicide...

Well they are all superb.

I can do without Crucifix Kiss, Methadone Pretty, and Damn Dog if I have to.

I think Lifeblood is their worst. Bloated and misguided.

I like Tigers, but HATE Autumnsong.

The similarities of our musical dislikes is amazing!

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2010, 07:37:10 PM »
Seriously Deco, skip school mate and come to Melbourne on the 20th Nov. Will be a massive show. Air Asia. Cheap. DO IT!

deco20

« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2010, 07:56:54 PM »
Seriously Deco, skip school mate and come to Melbourne on the 20th Nov. Will be a massive show. Air Asia. Cheap. DO IT!

Cant.

Hey, just listened to Postcards from A Young Man. It's all strings.

Some Kind Of Nothingness is definitely my new favourite Manics song. Ian's deep voice goes well with the lightness of James.
Though, I hope their next album would be less "fuller".   :)

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2010, 08:03:08 PM »

Cant.

WHAT did you just call ME???
 ;)

Hey, just listened to Postcards from A Young Man. It's all strings.

Some Kind Of Nothingness is definitely my new favourite Manics song. Ian's deep voice goes well with the lightness of James.
Though, I hope their next album would be less "fuller".   :)

Yeah I love Nothingness. It's actually got a fair bit of 'Some Kind of Bliss', the tune they wrote for Kylie about it...

There are a heap of strings, but I think it works. Grandiose without being pompous, a full sound without it overwhelming the songs...

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
Top 10 Manic Street Preachers tunes
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2010, 06:37:30 PM »
1. Intravenous Agnostic
2. Marlon JD
3. A Design For Life
4. Die In The Summertime
5. Australia
6. Everything Must Go
7. If You Tolerate This...
8. There By The Grace Of God
9. Motorcycle Emptiness
10. Roses In The Hospital

Out of all the top 10 lists that have saturated this forum in recent weeks, that was definitely the hardest one.

In fact, to be honest it's probaby already out of date.

God I love this band.