Author Topic: Manic Street Preachers appreciation thread  (Read 12202 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: Top 10 Manic Street Preachers tunes
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2010, 07:15:50 PM »
had to happen!

And of course I must try and narrow it to 10. how?

Ok...

1. Stay Beautiful
2. Yes
3. Me and Steven Hawking
4. Little Baby Nothing
5. Faster
6. 4st 7lb
7. This Joke Sport Severed
8. La Tristesse
9. You Love Us
10. Australia

Wow is that 10 already? How did some kind of nothingness not get a gig there....... Yikes.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:50:20 AM by briscoetheque »

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2010, 07:17:04 PM »
and Wow... Intravenous agnostic your number 1? Double Wow... I mean, I don't dislike it but you must really love it! Nice one...

deco20

Re: Manic Street Preachers appreciation thread
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2010, 08:24:34 AM »
Just completed the 10th listen to Postcards. I'd have to give it a 3 out of 5. First half of the album was fantastic. It went downhill soon after.

I just realized that the strings make the album sound grand and big, adjectives we usually associate with U2's music but yet, U2 hardly uses strings in their songs. The power of The Edge, I guess.

Briscoe, I dont know if I'm nuts but I just discovered why I love Some Kind Of Nothingness so much. It bears a resemblance to the song, Life Is Beautiful by some boy band.

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2010, 10:14:39 AM »
Why has the Top 10 Manics Songs thread been merged with the Manics Appreciation thread?  ???

Madness!

While you're at it why not merge the Top 10 Killers Tunes with the Killers appreciation? And the Oasis top 10 with the Oasis appreciation? And the REM ones? Blur? The Verve? Doves? I could go on.

What's so different about the Manics?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:13:47 PM by Spaceman »

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2010, 07:54:28 PM »
YES! This is BUREAUCRACY GONE MAD!

:D :D :D

Clearly it was the Manics top 10 straw that broke the camel's back. We can't have appreciation threads, threads of awesomeness, threads of enduring love, and threads of carnal intentions being DROWNED by a Manics top 10 thread.

I think this is racist. Clearly because the Manics are Welsh they are being persecuted here and it's time it was STOPPED.

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2010, 10:20:23 PM »
 :D

Right on!

It's a bloody disgrace.

It's not their fault they're Welsh!  :D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2010, 12:48:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
had to happen!

And of course I must try and narrow it to 10. how?

Ok...

1. Stay Beautiful
2. Yes
3. Me and Steven Hawking
4. Little Baby Nothing
5. Faster
6. 4st 7lb
7. This Joke Sport Severed
8. La Tristessa
9. You Love Us
10. Australia

Wow is that 10 already? How did some kind of nothingness not get a gig there....... Yikes.

Briscoe participating in a Top 10 thread!  What's the world coming to. ???

btw Little Baby Nothing is my brother's favourite song of all time.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2010, 03:35:38 PM »
They are finally back in Australia after 11 years. Saw them in Sydney on Monday night, and met the three of them afterwards. Just a brilliant bunch of guys with so much time for their fans...

OK, some pictures...

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

A very dark venue and an apparent addiction to red tungsten lighting made it difficult with the small camera.

Here's the setlist... managed to get it signed

Offline Lemon-Twist

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lay Your Love On The Track
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2010, 05:44:42 AM »
1. The Everlasting
2. Faster
3. She Is Suffering
4. Motorcycle emptiness
5. Ready For Drowning
6. Masses against the Classes
7. If You Tolerate this. . .
8. Everything Must Go
9. Life Becoming a Landslide
10. Stay Beautiful

Only been listening to the manics for around 6 months these are my favs at the moment
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 04:37:23 AM by Lemon-Twist »

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2010, 10:43:42 AM »
Nice one Brischoe, good job. Love the black & white pic of Nicky. Really surprised at that setlist actually. Nothing from Journal and only three off the new record, buried in the setlist. It's good to see bands do that, no one wants a setlist that's made up of mostly new songs, especially in a country that hasn't seen the band for 11 years. Are you going to any other dates?

The Promenade

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2010, 10:54:07 AM »

The Holy Bible used to be my fave album. I was obsessed with Richie as any self respecting alienated skinny white boy in eye liner was. They lost me after EMG but here's my list anyway...

This Is Yesterday
Roses In The Hospital
Die In the Summertime
Faster
Life Becoming a Landslide
La Tristesse
Motorcycle Emptiness
Elvis Impersonator: Blackpool Pier
4st. 7lbs
Yes

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2010, 01:19:05 PM »
promenade - you'll love journal for plague lovers

And Yep... Off to Adelaide today then melbourne on saturday.

Offline Spaceman

• Child of Grace
  • Spaceman Jr.
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2010, 02:03:28 PM »
My name isn't yep :D

Good stuff mate, I wish I was in your shoes right now. It's great following bands around like that, being recognised on the second or third night and having a chat about it!! Try to get the setlist again mate!

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2010, 03:21:08 AM »
Wow. Adelaide was fking amazing, Sydney was fun but Adelaide was nuts. Never would have predicted that.

Some obligatory pics i took...

Pre show....

Was pretty happy to see James's LP Custom getting a restring. I could do anything but touch or breath on it.

Sean decided to help me out with a photo...

James & Nick obliging as always

Then some from the shows

That elusive mid air shot... best I managed in the low light

There are currently shots from Sydney and Adelaide at my website (more than these)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Pics 1-33 are Sydney
Pics 34 - 98 are Adelaide
Pics 99 - will be Melbourne.

After the show James actually asked "did you get some good smudges on the camera tonight mate?"

Some of em aren't toooooo smudgy :-)

Got to say, the 3 lads have been so brilliant all tour. Always chatting to the fans, and not just small talk either, some really good discussions about aussie music (I spoke to James about the Hoodoo Gurus for a while after he namechecked them in the show), about cricket, laryngitis, the Big Day Out and Kylie.

Just think this band is amazing. If you get the chance to see them, do it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:24:30 AM by briscoetheque »

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2010, 02:17:58 PM »
great photos Brisco. Not surprising that most of the material they played was 90s stuff if they haven't toured there for such a long time. And they had to do Australia  ;)

I think this period 2007- is a bit of a golden period for the Manics. Three cracking albums in 4 years and another one already on the go!