Author Topic: Uno, dos, tres, catorce!  (Read 11311 times)

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I had the universe decoded, then the atom split.
Re: Uno, dos, tres, catorce!
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2012, 05:53:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This may sound like a stretch, but i think it may be the case.

Recent albums have included bible references, chapter and verse.  Bono has admitted as much with the J33 on the ATYCLB cover, etc.

UNO/ONE:  first testament
DOS/TWO: second book
TRES/THREE: third chapter
CATORCE/14: 14th verse

which=Exodus 3:14, where God reveals his name, Yahweh, or I AM.

If you see the notes for the book included in the deluxe album, Bono's scribbles make much of this name.  Of course the last song, "Yahweh" is named by this name..and "All because of you, I AM" as well.

We need more posts from you..   Well said.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Elevated
  • I am not invisible
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2012, 04:10:22 PM »
I love the biblical reference idea. Very cool and definitely something I could see Bono doing. His knowledge of the scriptures is quite vast and it makes sense that he would slip something like that in.

I always kind of figured it was meant to be confusing and disorienting, since the song's lyrics deal with that theme anyway. It throws you off immediately and has you searching for answers, which follows with the confusion and a race for meaning that the rest of the song, as well as the album, follow.

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2012, 08:57:41 AM »
I think he was just being cheeky.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2012, 03:47:18 PM »
I think there is strong evidence for it being biblical.  Check this out...

Offline theocean

• Deep In the Heart
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2012, 06:31:26 AM »
I'm going to have to put this song on at some point this weekend.... 8)

Offline BurningDownLove

• Wanderer
  • Have a great day.
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2012, 06:48:50 AM »
Whatever the reason or logic behind it, I thought this perspective was pretty cool. When U2 was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005, Bruce Spingsteen gave their induction speech. He said: "Uno. Dos. Tres. Catorce. That is the correct math for a rock and roll band. For in art, and love, and rock and roll, the whole had better equal much more than the sum of its parts, or else you're just rubbing two sticks together in search of a fire."

Offline mdmomof7

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know A body in a soul
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2012, 09:26:46 AM »
Whatever the reason or logic behind it, I thought this perspective was pretty cool. When U2 was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005, Bruce Spingsteen gave their induction speech. He said: "Uno. Dos. Tres. Catorce. That is the correct math for a rock and roll band. For in art, and love, and rock and roll, the whole had better equal much more than the sum of its parts, or else you're just rubbing two sticks together in search of a fire."

Love that!

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule!
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2012, 10:24:36 PM »

That was an awesome speech by Bruce.

Offline Taco

• Refugee
  • I like tacos
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2013, 02:20:02 PM »

This explains it at around 2:00.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Babyface
  • "I suck at Guitar Hero."
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2013, 06:22:05 AM »
Refers to the disorder of what rock 'n roll should be. It shouldn't always make sense and it's about liberation from ordinary things. Vertigo was one of those rock songs with guitar bass and drums similar to something you'd hear in a song by The Who or The Kinks, etc. but in U2's way. Also refers to how things don't make sense and don't add up sometimes referring to Bono's experiences in Africa where he's consistently talked about how he's seen things that are disturbing. That's why he talks about "everything I wish I didn't know" and asks God if He can give him something he can feel. Miscounting makes perfect sense in rock and roll as well as in a world where people die of mosquito bites on one continent. Just my take.