Author Topic: Get in Shape with U2!  (Read 202978 times)

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
Re: Get in Shape with U2!
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2009, 04:43:18 PM »
Just finished today's workout.  Yay!  No more Oreos . . .

What are y'alls' favorite healthy snacks?  This is the area I have to watch the most.  I can eat a box of Cheese Nips in under 48 hours.   ;D

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2009, 04:50:06 PM »
Good thread idea! I'll sign on...I'm trying to keep to my running routine enough to be able to a) get in better shape cause I have to be a bridesmaid in the summer (and for U2 of course!) and b) be able to do a half marathon sometime this year (though still have a way to go for that...) - so moral support would be great! Good luck everyone...

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2009, 06:31:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Good thread idea! I'll sign on...I'm trying to keep to my running routine enough to be able to a) get in better shape cause I have to be a bridesmaid in the summer (and for U2 of course!) and b) be able to do a half marathon sometime this year (though still have a way to go for that...) - so moral support would be great! Good luck everyone...

You got moral support bloom!  We get to carry each other! ;)

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2009, 06:35:08 PM »

What are y'alls' favorite healthy snacks?  This is the area I have to watch the most.  I can eat a box of Cheese Nips in under 48 hours.   ;D

I really like hummus and baby carrots or other veggies for dipping. 

I wasn't good about working out today.  I figure if I go to the gym every weekday, I can have the weekends off.  Of course, the weekends are when my eating gets out of control - I'm always really good during the week since I have more of a schedule then. 

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
  • "Just wait until you get to Minneapolis!" - Bono
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2009, 08:45:15 AM »

I like almonds - as long as I'm careful about the portion size!
Light string cheese
yogurt
hard boiled egg

When it comes to snacks, I really need some protein, so I steer clear of carby things like chips, pretzels because once I start, I can't stop!

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2009, 10:07:44 AM »
Thank you, MirrorballMoon and Vickidvm.  Those are good suggestions.  Today I tried an apple and skim milk for snack.  So far so good - and I know what you mean about not stopping once starting w/ salty things!

This will be a good source of encouragement over the months.  I'm already planning more exercise time.  Thx!

Offline excavation

• Elevated
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2009, 10:55:14 AM »
I found some inspiration for everyone.  A few years ago PBS did a special where they got 15 "average" people to train for the Boston marathon for 9 months, and it included a guy that had a heart attack, a woman considered "obese", soccer mom, ect.  One of the youngest women got stress fractures and had to drop out, but the rest finished.  I know few people here are going to try and run a marathon, but I found it very helpful - if she can run a marathon, I can run two miles!  Anyway, here's the link.  It has their stories, plus a workout schedule, and lots of advise.

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2009, 11:10:01 AM »

I like almonds - as long as I'm careful about the portion size!
Light string cheese
yogurt
hard boiled egg

When it comes to snacks, I really need some protein, so I steer clear of carby things like chips, pretzels because once I start, I can't stop!

Try making your own protein smoothie.  They're good for you, yummy, and fill you up.  You can put all kinds of stuff in them.

Offline a Name for a Girl

• Precious Stone
  • mild and green and squeaky-clean
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2009, 01:25:44 PM »
Oh man.  I sent Mysterious Ways, our America-fascinated Aussie, some pictures of my trip to WA last summer.  It was an old web album, and I didn't look at them much before I sent them.  Well, I opened that album today, and UGH!  MY face was so pudgy I looked like a different person!  Between then and now I lost almost 20 lbs, but lately I've been lax on the calorie-counting, though not the running.  Needless to say, today I started counting calories again.  I don't want to go back to last May, that's for sure!

I'm impressed with you guys who post your daily activities. Very inspiring!  This thread was a good idea.

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2009, 06:06:05 PM »
Today I did a 30 minute step aerobics DVD (added a riser so it kicked my butt) and lower body strength training.  I hate squats/lunges, but know I need them!

I also successfully navigated a buffet at lunch time.  I started with a salad and used a salad-sized plate for my entrees.  I'm totally behaving better knowing I'm going to post what I do here . . . hopefully that will continue!

"It's not what you're dreaming, but what you're gonna do!"

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2009, 08:12:13 AM »
How's everyone doing?

I've been keeping up with the exercise (walking, strength training, step aerobics) and "doing better" with food.  I'm on vacation right now, once I go back to work it will take a lot more effort to make time for the workouts and cooking healthy food.

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2009, 10:44:24 AM »
Hi, all.  I was just checking in . . . exercise has been going well; I visited family this week and ate more dessert than usual.  Now I am home and can get back into a routine!  I will say that I've never been more motivated to stay healthy.  Hope everyone else is having success.   :)

Offline Witsa

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2009, 11:54:13 AM »
I am actually doing pretty good.  well, except for last Tuesday...  I decided to get up early & do some exercise dvd that my roommate has.  Not only was I a bit sore from the excerises, I has flipping exhausted all day & actaully fell asleep @ my desk for a few minutes.  (good thing the lady sitting next to me noticed & woke me  ;D)

I am loving spring time!  I have gone for a nice walk every day (after work) for at least an hour & then am doing stretching stuff afterwards.
I am even eating healthy...  I seriously think I would kill for a burger with extra cheese & mushrooms right now *sigh*

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2009, 03:36:32 PM »
Keep up the good work, Witsa!  Think of Adam . . .  :D

Offline Witsa

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2009, 04:41:05 PM »
mmmm...  Adam.   ;D

my roommate is killing me today!  She's made pancakes, bacon, homefries & eggs for breakfast, then BLTS for lunch and now she  is making lasagne for dinner (& extra for lunches during the week).  Good thing she's also been painting all weekend, so the house smells more like paint than food.

must...

be...

strong...