Author Topic: Get in Shape with U2!  (Read 195208 times)

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
  • "Just wait until you get to Minneapolis!" - Bono
Re: Get in Shape with U2!
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2009, 02:42:27 PM »
I feel your pain, Witsa . . . my parents have been staying with me for a week, while I'm not teaching (spring break).  We've been eating out a lot!!!  But, I've kept the exercise going and am looking forward to a more normal eating schedule after they leave on Wednesday.  I've been making good enough choices that I haven't GAINED any weight on this vacation, but haven't exactly lost any, either.  Sometimes just maintaining is a victory!

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2009, 02:49:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I feel your pain, Witsa . . . my parents have been staying with me for a week, while I'm not teaching (spring break).  We've been eating out a lot!!!  But, I've kept the exercise going and am looking forward to a more normal eating schedule after they leave on Wednesday.  I've been making good enough choices that I haven't GAINED any weight on this vacation, but haven't exactly lost any, either.  Sometimes just maintaining is a victory!

What do you teach, MirrorballMoon?  I teach first grade and understand the "out of the routine = food all the time" issue.   :)  We go back tomorrow, and that will be good for my health.  Congrats on keeping up with the exercise.  Keep being strong, Witsa!  I am doing well w/ exercise because of this thread.  Thanks for the company on the journey!

Offline excavation

• Elevated
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »
I know it's rough when you have to deal with other people's bad eating habits!  My husband is very physically active on his job and burns a lot of calories, so he's always bringing home muchies to make up for it - they are hard for me to ignore.  But with the weather getting better, I've been walking the dog 2 miles every day after the kids get on the bus.  She's young and has some husky in her, so it's not a casual stroll!  My daughter's soccer coach has promised a mother/daughter soccer game at practice this weekend, so that's a good motivator for me  - don't want to look too bad in front of the kids!  A good healthy snack for me is apple slices dipped in peanut butter  - the good peanut butter not the sugar and salt laden kind.

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2009, 03:33:48 PM »

What do you teach, MirrorballMoon?  I teach first grade and understand the "out of the routine = food all the time" issue.   :)  We go back tomorrow, and that will be good for my health.  Congrats on keeping up with the exercise.  Keep being strong, Witsa!  I am doing well w/ exercise because of this thread.  Thanks for the company on the journey!

I teach piano - mainly classical, but other musical styles creep in too (I actually have one student playing both Beethoven AND Sunday Bloody Sunday right now!).  I work at a community music school, so I have students of all ages (kids and adults) and teach group and private lessons.  Tomorrow I'm hosting a big recital for my students - we'll see if they remember anything after a week of no lessons!

Hope your first day back goes well, efdeat!

Offline Shockdocta: KTS

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Oh can't you see what love has done?
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2009, 07:49:50 PM »
Well im not gonna get in shape for a U2 Concert, but i am trying to get back in shape for soccer and baseball after being injured all of last year :P Ill take some support though

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2009, 06:24:08 PM »
Consider yourself supported!   ;D  I'm guessing you have mended from your injuries.  Be safe this season!

Offline Shockdocta: KTS

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Oh can't you see what love has done?
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2009, 11:56:39 PM »
Consider yourself supported!   ;D  I'm guessing you have mended from your injuries.  Be safe this season!

Safe!  That cant be done ;D

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2009, 07:49:31 AM »
Pls try, Shock.  You do not want to be in traction when concert time comes!   :o 

One resource that is helpful to me is the website collagevideo.com

They have a wealth of exercise videos available, and you can watch clips on line to see if the workouts are right for you.  Varying the routine prevents injury from overusing any given muscle group.  Hope everyone is doing well getting in shape!

Offline Witsa

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2009, 11:30:43 AM »
well, made it through the week with no treats at all....  not even gummy bears!  (my fave work day treat)

today is treat day - going to go to Starbucks for a mocha (my first mocha in 2 weeks!!) & ordering pizza tonight.
I've decided one day every two weeks I get treats day.

bought a pair of jeans yesterday - I'm now down a size!  :D  I am happy with the start!

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2009, 01:44:05 PM »
Awesome news, Witsa!  Especially about the jeans.  I think it is good to eat treats once in a while - they are a part of enjoying life.  Have a slice of pizza for me.  I am celebrating getting more fruits and veggies in my diet, as well as more exercise.   :)

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2009, 02:07:59 PM »
Hi Everybody!

Well, my parents have gone home and I am gradually getting back on the healthy-eating wagon.  It's been tough juggling work and exercise, too, but that's always easier for me than eating well, don't know why. 

Today I pushed myself to do a 60-minute Gin Miller step DVD I haven't tried in years . . . I stopped a few times to catch my breath but kept going and finished the whole thing.

It's so motivating to read about everyone's struggles and accomplishments.  It's nice to know we're all in this together!

Offline Witsa

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2009, 02:26:12 PM »
 :D  Looks like we are all doing great!  Is so nice that we have each other for encouragement! 
Tomorrow it is long walk, just got a map from the local Running Room of different routes in the area & how long they are.  I think this will be better for me so I know the distances, not just the time spent aimlessly wandering for a few hours.  An established route will be nice.
First go tomorrow!  Once I get used to some of the routes, I am going to start walking some, jogging some , then walking the rest.  The RR also gave me a booklet on different exercises I can do before & after.

Well im not gonna get in shape for a U2 Concert, but i am trying to get back in shape for soccer and baseball after being injured all of last year :P Ill take some support though

You'll get lots of support here! 

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2009, 12:04:03 PM »
I thought of everyone when I planned my lunch today - lots of fruits and veggies, whole-grain bread, and reduced-fat cheese.  The camraderie (sp?) keeps me going.  Not only will we look good, we'll have more stamina for the GA line and dancing during the show!   ;D

Offline excavation

• Elevated
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2009, 09:26:30 AM »
This Saturday my daughter's soccer team had a 30 minute mother-daughter game, and it was a lot of fun!  I was worried about not being able to keep up, but I did better than I thought I would.  Who knew something a simple as a brisk 2 mile walk every day could make such a difference?  It's very encouraging.  I have to say, though, she can kick the ball really hard - ouch!

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2009, 08:44:40 AM »
This Saturday my daughter's soccer team had a 30 minute mother-daughter game, and it was a lot of fun!  I was worried about not being able to keep up, but I did better than I thought I would.  Who knew something a simple as a brisk 2 mile walk every day could make such a difference?  It's very encouraging.  I have to say, though, she can kick the ball really hard - ouch!

That's great, excavation!!

I'm down 3 pounds since we started this thread . . . it's not a lot, but at least it's headed in the right direction!  Thanks to all of you for the motivation and support!!!