Author Topic: Get in Shape with U2!  (Read 187825 times)

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
Re: Get in Shape with U2!
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2009, 08:52:57 AM »
*Joins in*
I used U2's music to get me running a couple years ago.  At first I could only run as long as 'Desire', then I could do 'Electric Co'.  Now I've done a couple 5K and 10K races and 2 triathlons.  But I'm slackin' hardcore after my last race.

My friends and I have a July 1 goal so I think I"ll join in this thread for support. 

Part of the problem for me is that, where I live, it's getting so hot that I either have to work out really early in the morning (not fun) or go to the gym (not fun).  I'd so rather go for a nice 9:30am run in the canyon but it's around 80 degrees by then!

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2009, 08:53:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This Saturday my daughter's soccer team had a 30 minute mother-daughter game, and it was a lot of fun!  I was worried about not being able to keep up, but I did better than I thought I would.  Who knew something a simple as a brisk 2 mile walk every day could make such a difference?  It's very encouraging.  I have to say, though, she can kick the ball really hard - ouch!

That sounds so much fun.

Offline excavation

• Elevated
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2009, 12:42:36 PM »
I love to listen to Pop when I run.  The strong beats and the frustrated rage in the lyrics make it very condusive for running.

Zooey, my sister in law lives in Phoenix and has the same issue with the heat.  She gets up at 5:30 everyday and runs up a mountain.  She's much more motivated than I am - maybe the OCD helps, LOL.  And the soccer game was fun - I think the dads enjoyed it, too.   ;)

This Saturday my daughter's soccer team had a 30 minute mother-daughter game, and it was a lot of fun!  I was worried about not being able to keep up, but I did better than I thought I would.  Who knew something a simple as a brisk 2 mile walk every day could make such a difference?  It's very encouraging.  I have to say, though, she can kick the ball really hard - ouch!

That's great, excavation!!

I'm down 3 pounds since we started this thread . . . it's not a lot, but at least it's headed in the right direction!  Thanks to all of you for the motivation and support!!!

Mirror, do you realize that's a pound a week?  By the time the boys are in Chicago, you'll be able to slip past security and back stage without anyone even knowing you were there!  Good job!

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
  • "Just wait until you get to Minneapolis!" - Bono
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2009, 02:03:05 PM »

Mirror, do you realize that's a pound a week?  By the time the boys are in Chicago, you'll be able to slip past security and back stage without anyone even knowing you were there!  Good job!

You're right - when you say it that way, it sounds like an accomplishment!  Thanks, excavation!! :-)

Offline Mystways

• Elevated
  • wild Irish rose
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2009, 03:54:14 PM »
This thread is a good idea! I'm a dancer, but have gone from studying intensely 6 days a week to teaching 3 days a week. Lately, I've started to feel lethargic and "meh", so it's time to get back into a bit more shape... I did some walking and stretching on Monday at an indoor track, with U2 on my shuffle, of course. Walk On really takes on a different meaning when you start getting tired. ;)

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2009, 05:05:48 PM »
I agree about the shuffle - it makes me want to keep going when another good song comes up!  And of course mine is set to all U2, all the time.  It is so good to have everyone's encouragement.  Keep it up!   :)

Offline NavyInvictus

• Babyface
  • We are people born of sound
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2009, 01:52:34 AM »
Shuffle is by far the best running companion ever (besides other people of course)...I've definitely zoned out a few times while running and listening to music and ended up all over creation...

I'm going to the Sep. 25th show...and I'm running my first marathon 3 weeks later....so hopefully I'll be in fairly good shape by then haha.

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2009, 10:04:15 PM »
a pound a week is totally healthy and nothing to shake a stick at.  When I was losing, that's what I aimed for.

And, Navy, your first marathon?  Intense.  Since I can't do the fall triathlon I wanted to do, I'm thinking about doing a 1/2 marathon.  I think I"ll get bored though!

Offline Witsa

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2009, 11:33:35 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 .  visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
 .  visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

hmmm...  not today, lol.  Sunday is day off. 

this is today
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2009, 08:12:08 PM »
a pound a week is totally healthy and nothing to shake a stick at.  When I was losing, that's what I aimed for.

And, Navy, your first marathon?  Intense.  Since I can't do the fall triathlon I wanted to do, I'm thinking about doing a 1/2 marathon.  I think I"ll get bored though!

I'm hoping to do my first half marathon on Oct. 11th - I made myself a training schedule this weekend! I've done a 5k and a 10k before, but that's it...

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2009, 02:15:45 PM »
Hey everybody!  Stepped on the scale today, and I'm down 8 lbs since January 1! 

I'm so impressed by all the "real athletes" on this thread.  You're inspiring, with your 5Ks and marathons.  I'm thinking of doing the Breast Cancer 3-day (60 miles of walking in 3 days) . . . but can't quite imagine doing that.  I could walk 20 miles in a day if I had to, but then to turn around and do it again the next day, and the next?  Have any of you done that before?  I have had issues with plantar fasceitis (can't spell it), shin splints, and twisted ankles so I'm just not sure an event that big is for me.  But maybe I need the push?  Thoughts?

Right now my workouts consist of 3 days of walking (3-4 miles); 1 day of biking or step aerobics; and 2 days of weights.  Due to work schedule my exercise time is about 45-60 minutes a day.  I'm happy with that and am just glad to be building consistency right now, I'm not really looking to "step it up" at this time.

Offline Mystways

• Elevated
  • wild Irish rose
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2009, 02:59:45 PM »
Today, my exercising has consisted of house cleaning—MAJOR housecleaning. It all comes of having both my parents at work and having to be ready for the realtor to check out our house tonight. *sigh*

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2009, 05:28:35 PM »
Everybody is doing so well - yay!  I have added some interval training, so I am building more muscle.  Be sure to rest, everyone, so that you don't get injured! 

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2009, 09:01:25 AM »
I have two major victories to report:

1) Last night some friends and I ate at Chipotle.  When they asked what I wanted I said "I'll have a chicken . . . salad."  Can't believe I didn't go for the million-calorie burito!

2) This morning, I stepped on the scale and found I am now at the lowest weight I've been in over a year.  It's moved beyond the yo-yo range that has been making me nuts.

Now I'm off to take a walk on this sunny Saturday morning!

Offline Mystways

• Elevated
  • wild Irish rose
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2009, 12:38:14 PM »
Yay! Good for you. Walk on. :)