Author Topic: UABRS Worship Thread  (Read 1911 times)

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
UABRS Worship Thread
« on: December 04, 2008, 09:39:23 PM »
OK, we've had several of the others.  Now I am going to put UABRS out there, as I personally think that was an incredible record.

I first got into U2 during the TUF/TJT era, and they really hit home for me on TJT.  So at that point, what is a teen to do?  I wasn't waiting for the next album (that was an infinitely long 2 years in the future :) ).  I went back in their collection to the older stuff, and UABRS really was an amazing way to do that.  We all know that U2 are at their best live, and for me this was a chance to have a look at their material that was not on the albums I owned, and it was SO exciting because it held all the excitement of their live show.  I pretty much wore my old cassette tape out listening to it again and again.

When it all comes down to it, some of the stuff on that album is not their best material (If you don't know - Electric Co. ??? or Party Girl), at least not lyrically.  Despite that, their excitement and enthusiasm carried it and made it as good as anything I had ever heard.  All that and it was a low priced EP - talk about a lot of bang for your buck.

Offline spanner

• Numb
Re: UABRS Worship Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 05:20:21 AM »
the first song that i ever heard by u2 way back in 1985 was sunday bloody sunday from this album.it was the first album i ever brought.i remember in 87 trying to get tickets for a jt tour show in birmingham and not being able to get one so i brought the red rocks video instead :)you are right that live is where u2 are at and always will be .

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 06:37:47 AM »
The problem i have with this, like all live records, the band are on stage and you can't see them, when i personally want to, and you're wondering what the live act is like.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 07:09:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The problem i have with this, like all live records, the band are on stage and you can't see them, when i personally want to, and you're wondering what the live act is like.

True, but fortunately we have the Red Rocks DVD/VHS and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.
I actually have times when I would even prefer live performances on the CD player (compared to a DVD), when I know I can't see them (driving, working, cleaning house, etc.).  I am even guilty of bringing up the Rockpalast performance and then shifting to some other work on my computer and keeping the audio in the background.

In my opinion, one of the "casualties" of DVD's is that there are very few live CDs released nowadays, because like you, most people prefer to see the show.  I have heard that you can rip the audio and burn it to a CD, but I have to have my kids teach me how to do that.  If they make the next tour's shows available for download, I won't go broke, but I will certainly give them more cash than I intend to.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 11:49:04 AM »
I agree with everyone (!!) All I know is that when it came out me and my pals all bought War T-Shirts and cut off the sleeves to be like Bono (I also had a bash at the dodgy mullet)

There are segments of Electric Co on this album that make my hair (no longer a mullet) stand on end - mschaus - I'm there!

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 02:16:50 PM »
I have to agree with the comment that "one of the "casualties" of DVD's is that there are very few live CDs released nowadays" and U2 is one of the worst offenders for this. Other than the limited tracks on R&H, UABRS is their sole live album release in a 30 year career. UABRS really showcases U2's ability to take songs from the studio to another level and, while you can see this as well as hear it on their numerous DVD releases, there should be more live album releases.

While I'm grateful for all of the concert DVD's, the release of Zoo TV and Go Home on CD to members of U2.Com means I can listen to these on my ipod. Now if only I could get the Popmart and Vertigo soundtracks on there.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 02:56:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have to agree with the comment that "one of the "casualties" of DVD's is that there are very few live CDs released nowadays" and U2 is one of the worst offenders for this. Other than the limited tracks on R&H, UABRS is their sole live album release in a 30 year career. UABRS really showcases U2's ability to take songs from the studio to another level and, while you can see this as well as hear it on their numerous DVD releases, there should be more live album releases.

While I'm grateful for all of the concert DVD's, the release of Zoo TV and Go Home on CD to members of U2.Com means I can listen to these on my ipod. Now if only I could get the Popmart and Vertigo soundtracks on there.

itunes has the paris 1987 show from strrat to finish,well minus the first two opening songs .its well worth downloading .great concert.i do agree though for a great live band most of my u2 cd's that are live are boots,there's not been many releases over the years

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 01:28:29 PM »
Yeah Spanner, I bought the box set remastered JT for the concert and was ecstatic to find Paris 87 on itunes. It gets a good run on the ipod.