Author Topic: Lines that "ruin" a song for you  (Read 35770 times)

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
Re: Lines that "ruin" a song for you
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2009, 12:14:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Vertigo: "Girl with crimson nails has Jesus round the neck, swinging to the music, etc."

Second that. For me it goes together with "Jesus sister's eyes are a blister".  :-\

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2009, 12:28:04 PM »
On the track Winter on linear, he says like butter on toast, and rhymed it with ghost. I cracked up when i  heard that.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2009, 12:55:33 PM »
he has some real winners, rhyming puppy with happy belongs in the same category

Offline RobBankRobber

• Refugee
  • I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2009, 04:53:32 PM »
"Satan loves a bomb scare, but he won't scare you."  WHAT? LAME.

"There's a part of you that wants me to riot." So stupid. Bono blatanly needing to find a quick rhyme.

"In a dry and waterless place."  I think we know what the word 'dry' means.

"Some people get squashed crossing the tracks."  Dumb.

"Stand up to rock stars, Napoleon is in high heels. Josephine be careful, of small men with big ideas."  Too cheesy for me. A joke only Bono would laugh at.

Offline Roscoe

• Babyface
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2009, 11:51:21 PM »
Yeah, the last part of Kite ruins it for me.

The lyrics of Grace ruin the whole song.

I'm going to come back to this ...

Agree totally..hate that song

Offline Roscoe

• Babyface
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2009, 11:53:38 PM »
Don't know why, but the "air is heavy/heavy as a truck" line in Electrical Storm doesn't bother me. It's ... descriptive. :)

I agree....its blunt...trucks are big, heavy, dirty...its descriptive..besides ..how many other words rhyme with luck !! (Don't answer that !!)

InThisHeartland

« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2009, 10:08:40 AM »
ATM machine. things like that bug me, so Achtoon Baby has just changed how i think about one of the great songs from NLOTH

Offline rubicon

• Babyface
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2009, 10:09:53 AM »
Well, a nine-page thread, & "Achtung Baby" really gets off the hook!  I recognize people's positive feelings about the album--I share them!--but let's be objective.  It doesn't take three English degrees (though I do have that many, for better or worse) to realize that these lines are groaners, plain and simple:

"She wears my love like a see-through dress . . . "

"You're a piece of glass left on the beach . . . " (I can just see this scribbled in the poetry notebook of an angst-ridden middle schooler!)

"Love, like a screaming flower . . . " I once had a friend, years ago, when the LP first came out and we were listening to it together, do a perfectly timed mock "flower-scream" in the moment right after Bono sings this laugher!  That memory brings a smile to my face to this day.  I think it was also in this listening session that this friend and I said an alternate album name might have been, "Bono Discovers Simile and Metaphor."

Now, as I recall, there are some other hilarious groaners on AB, but I need not go into them here.  Actually, I bring up these lines in the larger context of some of the negative reactions to NLOTH.  In these forums and elsewhere, I keep reading negative reactions to the album, many of which single out the lyrics specifically.  Amazingly, many of these same reviews/reactions hold up "Achtung Baby" as the pinnacle NLOTH can never reach.  Purely in terms of lyrics, I have to roll my eyes, laugh a little, and well, very respectifully but forcefully disagree with the assessment!  I say all this not to diss "Achtung Baby" but simply to remind certain people to give NLOTH more time.  Yes, we might one day be as forgiving of "ATM machine" as we are of "screaming flowers"! :-)

Offline Fan since 14

• Babyface
« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2009, 01:28:16 PM »
"Love, like a screaming flower . . . "

I completely agree with you, rubicon! Loathe that line and plenty of others from Achtung Baby ("Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" has both lyrics and tune to its discredit, for example), but that doesn't mean I dislike U2 or Bono's writing. I have plenty more lines that have come to mean the world to me.

By the way, earlier in this chain Mysterious Ways quoted this line: "Your love was a lightbulb, hanging over my head," but that isn't the lyric. It's "hanging over my bed."

Offline Discotheque Girl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • You break and enter my imagination
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2009, 02:48:32 PM »
"Then she put a tounge in my ear..."

Mysterious Ways

« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2009, 03:32:32 PM »

By the way, earlier in this chain Mysterious Ways quoted this line: "Your love was a lightbulb, hanging over my head," but that isn't the lyric. It's "hanging over my bed."

That doesn't make it any better!  :P

Offline spinningman

• Babyface
« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2009, 09:09:15 PM »
"I'll give you everything that you want....except the thing that you want..."

The single worst line ever in a U2 song.  Not a bad tune but they should have thought that one through

Offline rayer32

• Babyface
  • Where the bright lights and the big city meet
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2009, 03:16:09 PM »
I also hate the lyrics for "Grace", but I think it does have a few redeeming lines:

What once was hurt
What once was friction
What left a mark no longer stings
Because Grace makes beauty outta ugly things

I think those are amazing lyrics, and I always picture Bono writing them first and then piecing the rest of the crap around them.

Couldn't agree more with the "Give you everything that you want... except the thing that you want"  I get what he is trying to say, but it just isn't worded very well and doesn't have a good rhythm either.

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2009, 07:08:45 PM »
"I'll give you everything that you want....except the thing that you want..."

The single worst line ever in a U2 song.  Not a bad tune but they should have thought that one through

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!!!!

Offline AndyHusney

• Babyface
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2009, 08:27:36 PM »
From Winter:
      "It's hot as hell. We're like butter on toast."