Author Topic: Lines that "ruin" a song for you  (Read 36937 times)

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
Re: Lines that "ruin" a song for you
« Reply #135 on: April 03, 2009, 08:35:11 PM »
Well, I've found it true standing in the middle of a busy street on a hot day in July. I felt I was melting. Like butter on toast, and it was hot as hell.  ;)

Offline ITM

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • My first cry, it was a joyful noise,
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2009, 12:02:35 AM »
Anything sung by Michael McDonald.

EDIT: I realize this thread pertains to U2 lyrics but I'm at a loss to find something by the band that truly offends me.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 12:05:12 AM by ITM »

Offline RobBankRobber

• Refugee
  • I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2009, 10:28:03 AM »
"You just can't get enough of that lovey dovey stuff."

Eh.

Offline Fan since 14

• Babyface
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2009, 11:43:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Eh.
:D
I love that line!
Cheers!

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #139 on: April 05, 2009, 02:55:27 AM »
"I'm wide awake, I'm not sleeping"

Hey I know you're wide awake, so it is redundant to mention you're not sleeping.

It reminds me of Avril Lavigne's hit song Sk8er Boi...

"He was a boy, she was a girl, can I make it anymore obvious?"

No Avril you can't.

And no Bono, you can't.

Cheers,

J

Offline RobBankRobber

• Refugee
  • I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
« Reply #140 on: April 05, 2009, 09:32:55 AM »
He was a punk, she did ballet. What more can I say?

Offline Acrobat19

• Babyface
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2009, 12:52:44 PM »
Stranger in a Strange Land
"I wrote this letter to tell you... the way I feel" (Maybe the laziest lyric in history.)

Cedars of Lebanon...
Using "tank" as a rhyme for "bank" kills the whole song for me

Offline CityofBlindingElevation

• Babyface
« Reply #142 on: April 25, 2009, 08:20:46 AM »
In response to some of the ones on here (and some of my own)....

The ending to "Kite" never bothered me. I think it fits the song.

I always new the lyrics to "Elevation" were dumb. I think it was just written to be a good live song.

The "newborn baby" part in "Miracle Drug" doesn't bug me either. Actually I really like that line. Haven't you ever held a newborn (not just out of the womb, but under 6 months old or so) really close? The top of their heads always smells really good for some reason. I never understood it. Actually I never thought about it until that song. I have a friend who hates all the lyrics in that song, and I just don't understand that. I think it is one of U2's best lyrical songs.

I don't care for "Grace" at all. Actually, All That You Can't Leave Behind is the tale of 2 albums for me. The first half is awesome, the second half is all filler. From "Wild Honey" on it there is nothing I even listen to anymore. I take the cd out when "In a Little While" ends.

Some of mine...

It doesn't ruin the song, but I think when he says "I wasn't just gonna buy anyone's cockatoo" in "Breathe" it is a little goofy.

I hate the simple rhyme scheme (and pretty much most of the lyrics) of "All Because of You." I swear they wrote that song in 3 minutes. If that song was better, How to Dismantle and Atomic Bomb would be a more serious competitor for my favorite U2 album. There are other U2 songs with the simple AA, BB, CC rhyme scheme, but that one just really grates on me. I hate that it is right in the middle of the album. 

Offline u2bonoman

• Refugee
  • Gone the way of the caveman.
« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2009, 09:21:28 AM »
Well, a nine-page thread, & "Achtung Baby" really gets off the hook!  I recognize people's positive feelings about the album--I share them!--but let's be objective.  It doesn't take three English degrees (though I do have that many, for better or worse) to realize that these lines are groaners, plain and simple:

"She wears my love like a see-through dress . . . "

"You're a piece of glass left on the beach . . . " (I can just see this scribbled in the poetry notebook of an angst-ridden middle schooler!)

"Love, like a screaming flower . . . " I once had a friend, years ago, when the LP first came out and we were listening to it together, do a perfectly timed mock "flower-scream" in the moment right after Bono sings this laugher!  That memory brings a smile to my face to this day.  I think it was also in this listening session that this friend and I said an alternate album name might have been, "Bono Discovers Simile and Metaphor."

Now, as I recall, there are some other hilarious groaners on AB, but I need not go into them here.  Actually, I bring up these lines in the larger context of some of the negative reactions to NLOTH.  In these forums and elsewhere, I keep reading negative reactions to the album, many of which single out the lyrics specifically.  Amazingly, many of these same reviews/reactions hold up "Achtung Baby" as the pinnacle NLOTH can never reach.  Purely in terms of lyrics, I have to roll my eyes, laugh a little, and well, very respectifully but forcefully disagree with the assessment!  I say all this not to diss "Achtung Baby" but simply to remind certain people to give NLOTH more time.  Yes, we might one day be as forgiving of "ATM machine" as we are of "screaming flowers"! :-)

I have to say I couldn't disagree with this more.  :P

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #144 on: April 25, 2009, 06:25:55 PM »

Eh.
I love that line!
Cheers!

Agreed! That line pretty much sums up Pop as an album- and Discotheque as a song, I think. Camp, bizarre, unexpected and wonderful!  ;D

Revolver7

« Reply #145 on: April 25, 2009, 10:40:19 PM »
Candy Floss Ice Cream  :D

Offline CityofBlindingElevation

• Babyface
« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2009, 11:40:22 PM »

Eh.
I love that line!
Cheers!

Agreed! That line pretty much sums up Pop as an album- and Discotheque as a song, I think. Camp, bizarre, unexpected and wonderful!  ;D

This line reminds me of a discussion I had with a friend of mine regarding U2's Pop and Queen's "Radio Ga-Ga." If a band sings about mindless, bubblegum entertainment some people will take that song as mindless bubblegum entertainment in and of itself simply based on the lyrics.

A lot of critics accused U2 of going soft based on those lyrics. Ironically, the joke was on them.

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Always wear a safety belt!
« Reply #147 on: April 26, 2009, 07:34:57 AM »
I love that line from Wake Up Dead Man. Bono rarely swears on albums, so when he does it is of great significance. I find it evocative and powerful. It's not gratuitous cussing either, it's pretty heartfelt. It all depends on how tolerant you are to swearing, but for me it's not used in an aggressive tone and is there for a reason.

I largely agree, he almost never swears, it's evocative, and it's not gratuitous.  But it's still too jarring for me personally.  *shrug*

Didn't Bono drop and f-bomb at the Golden Globe Awards in 2003? I thought he did.  :-\

Offline kristbg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Head first, then foot, then heart sets sail
« Reply #148 on: April 26, 2009, 08:38:32 AM »
I love that line from Wake Up Dead Man. Bono rarely swears on albums, so when he does it is of great significance. I find it evocative and powerful. It's not gratuitous cussing either, it's pretty heartfelt. It all depends on how tolerant you are to swearing, but for me it's not used in an aggressive tone and is there for a reason.

I largely agree, he almost never swears, it's evocative, and it's not gratuitous.  But it's still too jarring for me personally.  *shrug*

Didn't Bono drop and f-bomb at the Golden Globe Awards in 2003? I thought he did.  :-\

I think he meant in studio. Bono swears all the time in concert and in interviews.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #149 on: April 26, 2009, 08:09:43 PM »
My mom (who introduced me to U2) and I always have fun with "I fall down/I'm falling down/and when you fall down/I fall down". Then I listen to "Stand Up Comedy" and it's like they took 25 years to get back up from Bono's first weird lyrical adventure.