Author Topic: Lines that "ruin" a song for you  (Read 28673 times)

InThisHeartland

Re: Lines that "ruin" a song for you
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 10:56:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sometimes I love a bad lyric because it is bad! You know, it's so bad, it's good-like mole digging in a hole! You gotta love it. Does that make any sense?

Yes it does. Van Halen's "Why can't this be love" the line is

"only time will tell if we stand the test of time"

PURE GENIUS.

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 12:24:34 PM »

Interllectual Tortoise? what the hell

See, that's my favorite part of "All Because of You"... It's so corny that I love it...  :D

That goes for "Elevation" as well... "A mole! Diggin' in a hole!"

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 10:27:34 PM »
Intellectual tortoise for me is slightly less questionable than "freedom has a scent/like the top of a newborn baby's head."

The key to intellectual tortoise is in the very next line, "racing with your bullet train," which kicks the whole thing up a notch image-wise. I think Bono here is acknowledging he doesn't have all the answers, that God is in control.

"Take this mouth/give it a kiss," however, borders on unintentional humor.

I have so much trouble remembering "The more you see the less you know/the less you find out as you go" that I'm inclined to put those lines on this list, too. (Love the song, tho.)

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 04:28:41 AM »
I agree, 'scent like the top of the newborn baby's head' does not sound romantic/idealistic/symbolic when you're a mother who has smelled a top of the newborn baby's head  :-\

luieu2

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 03:34:29 PM »
i love that line starfish . i hate hold me thrill me kiss me , hate it  >:(

Offline mattyk

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 11:41:40 PM »
I'm sticking with the predictable ones...

"Freedom has a scent..." bugs me, mostly because of Bono's prattling in the bonus DVD that came with Bomb.
"Heavy as a truck" also. Just bad.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2008, 02:49:59 AM »
I'm surprised at the hate for Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me. I like it, it's not my all time favourite U2 song or anything, but it's fun and not like anything else they've recorded. Some good lyrics in there too.

Offline Edges Les Paul

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • This is Edge; we're not sure where we got him.
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2008, 03:41:14 PM »
Okay, look. I think, with the way Bono tends to write lyrics (especially back in the day), all improv-y, then it should be no surprise that there are some silly lines here and there. If he took the time to meticulously work through each and every word, like a poet, then the wait for the albums would be even longer and more excruciating. However, I know what you mean, when a line just doesn't quite work for you. I'm finding myself more willing to stick up for these odd lyrics than I would have at a previous time. Oh, that U2 addiction can really lower your defenses, I guess.  8)

"Freedom has a scent...": I was always a little skeptical about that, but now that I've come to appreciate that song more, I guess I could see some kind of poetic ambiguity in that simile. I mean, it makes you think, at least.

I do really hate "Grace-- it's a name for a girl." Seriously?

And re: "the last of the rock stars," I know it's random, but since he was writing the song for his kids, I kind of see it as a time capsule for when he was writing the song-- when hip-hop and new media were all the big thing.

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 04:37:29 AM »
Well I like all of Bono's cheasy lines (Well Most). I love grace for that reason alone. While they are quite lazy lines. They work. (In a way)

I know Im weird lol.

Mal

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 06:49:00 AM »
"Freedom has a scent...": I was always a little skeptical about that, but now that I've come to appreciate that song more, I guess I could see some kind of poetic ambiguity in that simile. I mean, it makes you think, at least.
I checked out a youtube clip of Levitate because several of you said how good it was.  I am familiar with some but not all of the rarer songs, so this forum is good at having me look into the others.  Anyways, the line that surprised me was:

When freedom comes
Freedom has a scent
It’s like the top of a newborn baby’s head
Maybe we can taste it
You and I

So basically that line survived a few song iterations before ending up in its final form in Miracle Drug.

I also kind of like the actual scent of a newborn baby's head - all clean after a bath and soft and all (it's been a while).  I don't quite get the tie in, though.  Freedom is soft and cozy and cuddly and baby smelling (the less odorous end of the baby)?

-----------------------------------

I also realize that in starting this thread, I was somewhat being hypercritical of B's lyrics in a way, even though I couldn't write lyrics to save my life.  His lyrics are interesting and typically I love the subtlety and ambiguity.  I have seen several posts in this forum about whether the love mentioned in a song is man-woman or God-man or whatever, and that is all a testimony of how powerful the lyrics usually are.  I even can take the mole diggin' in a hole (so corny, it's almost funny), as long as the song rocks.

Looking forward to scrutinizing the lyrics off the new album!!!

luieu2

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 07:46:17 AM »
in the shadow boy meets man

Offline ProofThatThisIsReal

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 03:59:34 PM »
This doesn't really ruin the song for me, because I already detest it with every fiber of my being, but "My Mammy" in Miami is just stupid to me...  Usually however, lyrics don't bother me too much as long as the song is good

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 05:28:16 AM »
He should have left that line in Levitate and kept that song for the album, because

"I'd give it up for a miracle drug"

is a line that ruins the particular song for me.

Offline ProofThatThisIsReal

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 11:43:50 AM »
"Ooh, mama, cool off,"-Crumbs From Your Table

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 12:04:44 PM »
Lets just settle this and say bono (the same goes for most poets) we cannot understand why he puts some strange lines in his songs.  As long as they sound good he could say all kinds of crap!