Author Topic: Lines that "ruin" a song for you  (Read 28652 times)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
Re: Lines that "ruin" a song for you
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2017, 04:59:23 PM »
It's referring to the Upper Room where Christ had the Last Supper with his disciples, often depicted as a sort of wedding-like head table.

Offline Milla88

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2017, 10:38:44 PM »
Thanks! I was aware of the theme of the song but that line has always seemed so out of place to me...well, I guess I have to change my mind now.

Offline Joshua

« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2017, 10:16:39 PM »
Wow

It's crazy how different people feel about some of the lyrics.

Grace is one of the best songs lyrically I think Ive ever heard.

'Like the top of a new born babys head' is so beautifully put, maybe only mothers and fathers will really get that one.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #183 on: September 30, 2017, 01:13:55 AM »
'Freedom has a scent like the top of a new born babies head' isn't meant to be taken literally... I think the scent he is referring to is 'hope'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #184 on: September 30, 2017, 11:55:26 AM »
Loving that line about the top of a newborn baby's head....hope but also a literal and tangible scent of newness & possibility.

Offline Joshua

« Reply #185 on: September 30, 2017, 05:05:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
'Freedom has a scent like the top of a new born babies head' isn't meant to be taken literally... I think the scent he is referring to is 'hope'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its both literal and metaphorical

Offline Racingfan53

• Babyface
  • Gal 2:20
« Reply #186 on: October 12, 2017, 06:38:14 PM »
Yes, I personally love the lyrics to Miracle Drug.  In fact, I don't think I've come across any U2 lyric I dislike.... well....

"Your eyes make a circle."

Can someone elucidate this theme for me?  Please?!  It just seems so out of place.

However, with the Boots lyrics and Elevation lyrics, even though I agree they're rather nonsensical and odd, I don't mind, because those two songs, for me, don't need to be deep.  I appreciate the rocky sentiment to both songs, and the fact that I can just jam along without stopping halfway through like "whoa... that's deep."  Especially in Elevation, the lyrics are just fun to sing:  "A MOLE!  Diggin' in a HOLE!  Diggin' in my SOUL now goin' down ex-ca-va-tion!"

Offline zsbryant

« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »
"You are rock and roll" from American Soul.  Utterly disconnected from the theme of the song.

Offline McSwilly

• Wanderer
« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2017, 07:40:40 PM »
"like a fish needs a bicycle"

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Refugee
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2017, 10:07:16 AM »
It's not a "fish needs a bicycle" line but "Hey now, do you know my name/hey now, or where I'm going" doesn't rhyme and kind of throws me off a bit.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2017, 12:50:54 PM »
While there are no lyrics that really RUIN a song for me- I'd say all of the lyrics have to be bad for a song to be "ruined" per se- I have to somewhat concur with this:

"You are rock and roll" from American Soul.  Utterly disconnected from the theme of the song.
It does feel disconnected, but my real problem is how it was re-purposed from "Volcano" for this song. I don't mind all of the lyrical callbacks to SOI on the new album, but this particularly sticks out to me. If it wasn't sung to the same melody as in "Volcano," I'd probably appreciate it more- as it is, it feels a bit lazy.

Also, with the new album on the brain, I think "Shooting off my mouth, that's another great thing about me" from "You're the Best Thing About Me" is such a weak line, and I hate when I hear it in the song- but I also love the song so much, I get over it quickly. Ha!

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Wanderer
« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2017, 01:41:24 PM »
“The blind leading the blond” has always irritated me.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2017, 08:49:33 PM »
I haven't read through all this to see if already mentioned, but the butter on toast line from Winter is cringe worthy for what is otherwise a really good song.

Offline redrunningred

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Planet Earth Is Blue
« Reply #193 on: December 04, 2017, 07:42:22 AM »
It doesn't ruin it for me, but definitely irritates me in an otherwise solid song, 2 parts of SOE. First, the chorus of You're the Best Thing About Me. An otherwise solid pop rock song is brought down by a chorus that is at around IGCIIDGCT levels of hammy. Also, the chorus of a very solid rocker, American Soul, is a repeated U2 trope of, "something something you rock and roll," that has been repeated at least twice before.

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #194 on: December 04, 2017, 10:22:44 AM »

refu%&*&%#$%jesus!!! makes me so angry!