Author Topic: Lines that "ruin" a song for you  (Read 26622 times)

luieu2

Re: Lines that "ruin" a song for you
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2009, 10:41:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
ACDC can't hold a candle up to U2.
i agree bono will blow it out lol ;D

Offline eviltimeban

• Wanderer
  • Pop is the best U2 album
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2009, 07:20:58 AM »
Everything from "Lights go down" to "and make it prey" INCLUSIVE.

Mysterious Ways

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2009, 01:25:27 PM »
It doesn't ruin the song, but "I don't wanna talk about wars between nations" sounds a little corny to me. Also, I always skip the ending of Kite on my mp3 player. Personally, I can't stand it, but that's just me.

luieu2

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2009, 02:48:11 PM »
It doesn't ruin the song, but "I don't wanna talk about wars between nations" sounds a little corny to me. Also, I always skip the ending of Kite on my mp3 player. Personally, I can't stand it, but that's just me.
i love kite awsome song at the vertigo melb gig it was the highlight, but i hate the ,hip hop drove the big cars line

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2009, 04:12:57 AM »
The last part of Kite= ??? :-\ ??? :-\
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 03:16:12 PM by Nielsen »

achtungchild

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2009, 04:12:12 PM »
"You can keep this suit of lies" was amazing until I realized it was "suit of lights".

streetmission

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2009, 11:31:45 PM »
"You can keep this suit of lies" was amazing until I realized it was "suit of lights".

:D :D  That's funny!

"There's an insect in your ear" from Staring at the Sun.  I love the song, and it doesn't really "ruin" it for me.  It just gives me the willies, that line.  It kinda snaps me out of the mood for a second every time I hear it.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2009, 12:12:49 AM »
"Freedom has a scent...": I was always a little skeptical about that, but now that I've come to appreciate that song more, I guess I could see some kind of poetic ambiguity in that simile. I mean, it makes you think, at least.
I checked out a youtube clip of Levitate because several of you said how good it was.  I am familiar with some but not all of the rarer songs, so this forum is good at having me look into the others.  Anyways, the line that surprised me was:

When freedom comes
Freedom has a scent
It’s like the top of a newborn baby’s head
Maybe we can taste it
You and I

So basically that line survived a few song iterations before ending up in its final form in Miracle Drug.

I also kind of like the actual scent of a newborn baby's head - all clean after a bath and soft and all (it's been a while).  I don't quite get the tie in, though.  Freedom is soft and cozy and cuddly and baby smelling (the less odorous end of the baby)?

-----------------------------------

I also realize that in starting this thread, I was somewhat being hypercritical of B's lyrics in a way, even though I couldn't write lyrics to save my life.  His lyrics are interesting and typically I love the subtlety and ambiguity.  I have seen several posts in this forum about whether the love mentioned in a song is man-woman or God-man or whatever, and that is all a testimony of how powerful the lyrics usually are.  I even can take the mole diggin' in a hole (so corny, it's almost funny), as long as the song rocks.

Looking forward to scrutinizing the lyrics off the new album!!!

not defending the lyric but I think it's about hope (not so much about a baby's smell, lol). newness and rebellion. creation over destruction.

luieu2

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2009, 08:25:52 PM »
you dont haveto go blind

Mysterious Ways

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2009, 08:56:28 PM »

I still sing 'lies' despite knowing its incorrent for the last 10+ years.

I always thought is was "suit of mine".  ;D

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2009, 09:56:53 PM »
Well, I haven't decided on this. But, "Laughter is eternity - if joy is real" What exactly does that mean? I like the sound of it...but does it make sense?  :-[

shockdocta22

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2009, 05:03:45 PM »
get on ur boots, sexy boots, get on your boots, foxy boots, Yeah  I dont wanna talk about wars between nation, get on ur boots, one line in get on ur boots, makes me hate it

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2009, 08:06:44 AM »
"And a F'd-up world it is too" from Wake Up Dead Man.

I have never and still don't like the cussing and otherwise love the song, but it's so jarring to me that I have trouble listening to it at all.

(If lyrics by other people than Bono count, then Dancing Barefoot, which has to have some of the stupidest and least flowing lyrics he's ever sung:  "she is concentrating on he, who is chosen by she.")

Very surprised by the hate for the lyrics to Grace, which I love, and the end of Kite (I sometimes skip to the END of Kite, which seems to be the opposite of what some folks do).  Actually several things people mentioned I really like.  Go figure.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2009, 08:56:30 AM »
I love that line from Wake Up Dead Man. Bono rarely swears on albums, so when he does it is of great significance. I find it evocative and powerful. It's not gratuitous cussing either, it's pretty heartfelt. It all depends on how tolerant you are to swearing, but for me it's not used in an aggressive tone and is there for a reason. So I don't have a problem with it, in fact it's probably my favourite line from Pop.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2009, 09:02:25 AM »
I love that line from Wake Up Dead Man. Bono rarely swears on albums, so when he does it is of great significance. I find it evocative and powerful. It's not gratuitous cussing either, it's pretty heartfelt. It all depends on how tolerant you are to swearing, but for me it's not used in an aggressive tone and is there for a reason.

I largely agree, he almost never swears, it's evocative, and it's not gratuitous.  But it's still too jarring for me personally.  *shrug*