Author Topic: Lines that "ruin" a song for you  (Read 26621 times)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
Re: Lines that "ruin" a song for you
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2009, 09:04:06 AM »
That's fair enough then.  8)

Offline silkenskies

• Refugee
  • You got my head filled with songs
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2009, 09:05:16 AM »
"If you need someone to blame, throw a rock in the air you'll hit someone guilty"

Love Dirty Day, and this line doesn't ruin the song but it just seems odd, like he tried to squeeze too many syllables into the verse.

joegtheog

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2009, 09:32:25 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"And a F'd-up world it is too" from Wake Up Dead Man.

I have never and still don't like the cussing and otherwise love the song, but it's so jarring to me that I have trouble listening to it at all.

(If lyrics by other people than Bono count, then Dancing Barefoot, which has to have some of the stupidest and least flowing lyrics he's ever sung:  "she is concentrating on he, who is chosen by she.")

Very surprised by the hate for the lyrics to Grace, which I love, and the end of Kite (I sometimes skip to the END of Kite, which seems to be the opposite of what some folks do).  Actually several things people mentioned I really like.  Go figure.

Dancing Barefoot is a Patti Smith song that they covered.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2009, 09:46:14 AM »

I have never and still don't like the cussing and otherwise love the song, but it's so jarring to me that I have trouble listening to it at all.

(If lyrics by other people than Bono count, then Dancing Barefoot, which has to have some of the stupidest and least flowing lyrics he's ever sung:  "she is concentrating on he, who is chosen by she.")

Very surprised by the hate for the lyrics to Grace, which I love, and the end of Kite (I sometimes skip to the END of Kite, which seems to be the opposite of what some folks do).  Actually several things people mentioned I really like.  Go figure.

Dancing Barefoot is a Patti Smith song that they covered.

Yes, that's why I identified it as "lyrics by other people than Bono." (see above).

joegtheog

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2009, 10:12:40 AM »
Then I would say they shouldn't count, if only for the fact he didnt write them.  It's like saying "I've hungered for your touch" ruins "U2's" Unchained Melody or "shall I stay, would it be a sin?" ruins "U2's" "Can't Help Falling in Love." And yeah, I missed that part you wrote.  My bad.

Offline dislexoteche

• Stateless
  • helping God across the road like a little old lady
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2009, 05:11:29 PM »
"She's got a baby at her breast
She knows big girls are best"

Makes me cringe a little even though I think I get what the reference is.

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2009, 10:23:41 PM »
"She's got a baby at her breast
She knows big girls are best"

Makes me cringe a little even though I think I get what the reference is.

It's Ali when she was pregnant.

Offline justinluey

• Stateless
  • "Dream Out Loud, at high volume" - Bono
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2009, 03:14:07 AM »

I love that part, swearing is used sparingly by U2 and it really hits the point home here.

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2009, 08:50:39 PM »

I love that part, swearing is used sparingly by U2 and it really hits the point home here.

I agree. It truly caught me off-guard the first time I heard it, and he just lets it fall into the song...

Offline Starguitar

• Desert Rose
  • Thanks U2 & the 360 tour for the best night ever.
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2009, 09:05:46 PM »

I agree. It truly caught me off-guard the first time I heard it, and he just lets it fall into the song...

Yeah I agree wit you guys. I think it's getting the 'message' through, but it's unnecessary.

Offline edgecentric

• Refugee
  • Some days have bouncers and won't let you in
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2009, 11:28:50 AM »
I can usually get behind the silly lines. They're often fun and funky to sing along to. (A mole! Digging in a hole!) The only one that makes me cringe is "Grace - it's the name of a girl" Really Bono? Jeez.

One of my dear friends does. not. like. U2 so every now and then I try to throw something at her that she can't possible not like. I played City of Blinding Lights and she seemed to be getting into it until..."Look ugly in a photograph" and she busted out laughing and walked away. So now I have a bit of a grudge against that line.

Offline silkenskies

• Refugee
  • You got my head filled with songs
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2009, 11:38:47 AM »
I can usually get behind the silly lines. They're often fun and funky to sing along to. (A mole! Digging in a hole!) The only one that makes me cringe is "Grace - it's the name of a girl" Really Bono? Jeez.

One of my dear friends does. not. like. U2 so every now and then I try to throw something at her that she can't possible not like. I played City of Blinding Lights and she seemed to be getting into it until..."Look ugly in a photograph" and she busted out laughing and walked away. So now I have a bit of a grudge against that line.

same thing happened with my friend. "let me take some of the punches for you tonight...". will NOT let it go, he makes fun of it all the time. he'll even refer to Bono and/or U2 as 'punches'.   :-\

Offline edgecentric

• Refugee
  • Some days have bouncers and won't let you in
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2009, 11:55:19 AM »
same thing happened with my friend. "let me take some of the punches for you tonight...". will NOT let it go, he makes fun of it all the time. he'll even refer to Bono and/or U2 as 'punches'.   :-\

How frustrating! Oh well, some people's minds are just not wired properly for U2 I guess.  :P

Me too. Precisely the fact that you never hear it in lyrics makes it extra strong and passionate. Same with "sh*tty world" in Cedars of Lebanon. I complain about the world being sh*tty and f*cked up all the time and it's kind of lost its impact.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 11:57:22 AM by edgecentric »

Offline kristbg

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Head first, then foot, then heart sets sail
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2009, 11:04:13 AM »
I actually like Grace. It seems to me that silly was what Bono was going for in that song.

The "hip-hop" line on Kite is indeed terrible. I like the imagery in the "freedom has a scent" line, but I don't think it works as a lyric.

Some others, from the top of my head:

"With a mouth full of teeth/You ate all your friends"
"Your love was a light bulb/hanging over my head"
"Soul and its striptease"
"Devotion/and some appreciation/little heavy rotation/looks good on me"
"We're gonna break the monster's back"

And from NLOTH:

"Force quit and move to trash" - that's just embarassing.
"I got a submarine/you got gasoline" - point made, but still doesn't work.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:28:31 PM by kristbg »

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2009, 12:26:12 PM »
I'm sticking with the predictable ones...

"Freedom has a scent..." bugs me, mostly because of Bono's prattling in the bonus DVD that came with Bomb.
"Heavy as a truck" also. Just bad.

I have to agree on the "Freedom has a scent.." line too.  That line has nearly ruined the entire Bomb album for me (though it's barely redeemed by lyrics for Original of the Species).  That line is representative of the difficulty I have with that album, aside from Steve's mixing job.  To me, a lot of those song lyrics borderlined on cheap, fortune cookie slogans you would hear on an Anne Murray album.  IMO, Bono is at his best lyrically when he reveals something deep & sacred with a shred of vulnerability (ex:  Mysterious Ways, Velvet Dress, & So Cruel).  It also helps when there is a bit of ambiguity with the intent of the line; instead of spelling everything out.   I understand that album was intended to showcase Bono and the band as back to basics saviours of rock n' roll.  But I never wanted to fire up the album in my car with the windows down on summer nights.  Maybe I'll appreciate Miracle Drug later someday.