Poll

What's more Important in a U2 song: Lyrics or Music?

The Music
21 (67.7%)
The Lyrics
10 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: What's more Important in a U2 song: Lyrics or Music?  (Read 7695 times)

Offline ProofThatThisIsReal

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
What's more Important in a U2 song: Lyrics or Music?
« on: December 16, 2008, 06:32:37 PM »
          I started this post because many of my friends, when asked, have completely different opinions of what makes a song:- the lyrics or the music?  Basically, when you are listening to a U2 song, or any song for that matter, what is it that attracts you to the song.  Is it the way the lyrics are beautifully arranged and weave throughout the soundscape, or the way the melody hits that awesome riff and just keeps building on?  I was tempted to put an option for the Music and Lyrics being equally important, but then I'm thinking most people would probably choose that option instead of having to decide they like the music or the lyrics more. 

Example of MAINLY lyrical song (Running to Stand Still)
Example of MAINLY musical song (Pride)
Example of a combination of the two (any song by U2)

While practically every song has aspects of both, which one is it that tells you that, "this song is good"

My opinion is that the music of a song is more attractive that what the lyrics are.  Sure, the lyrics are icing on the cake, but for me they don't make or break the song (unless it goes beyond the border of lyrics and it reaches into the realm of pure stupidity)  Songs like Miracle Drug, Elevation, Starring at the Sun, all have pretty obnoxious lyrics some place in there, and many more besides that, by I still like them better than songs like Mofo, Running to Stand Still, and Please, which are said to have awesome lyrics. 
         Granted, its hard to compare lyrics and music against each other when they completely depend on the context of the song, whereas some are meant to be beautiful lyrically and others beautifully musically.  Okay, so before I start to contridicte myself; Lyrics don't always "break" a song for me, while the music, if I don't care for it, will always turn me away from the given song. 
        Now than, if you can understand anything that I just said, please be kind enough to vote, post, give your own opinion, and tell me just what exactly I actually am trying to say. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 06:35:15 PM by ProofThatThisIsReal »

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
Re: What's more Important in a U2 song: Lyrics or Music?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 06:41:01 PM »
Same answer I'd give to any artist: the music.  The lyrics for any group are of virtually no consequence to me (obviously--two of my favorite artists are Prince and NIN, neither exactly the Mark Twain of popular music), but it's how they're sung, intertwining perfectly with the music, that makes all the difference.  I've been obsessed with U2 for well over two decades, obsessed, and there are still plenty of lyrics to U2 songs that I have to mumble my way through when I sing them because I'm not sure what they are...

Offline Aburrow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 07:01:46 PM »
The music.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:04:52 PM »
Great choice for a thread.

I reckon music, but lyrics is just as important.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 07:09:14 PM »
Hi GP II. After the "Grace" thread I knew what your answer was!  ;) Music is very, very important to me but at the end of the day, it is the lyric for me. Poetry set to the music. Remember, there is no right or wrong answer. I'm just posting what I feel and I have great respect for everyone's opinion. I'm looking forward to hearing some more. Mmmmm-will I be in the minority once again? (I sort of think so, but I don't mind. I rather like it there! :)).

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 07:21:16 PM »
I'll vote music. A song with a good melody and bad lyrics can at least get you to tap your toe. A song with a bad melody and good lyrics is like a wasted effort. I think the overwhelming number of musicians would go with music as well. Bands write music and then put lyrics against it. It's extremely rare that it goes the other way.

We had another thread that discussed if one truly has to understand a song to like it with the crux of that understanding being placed upon the lyrics. My guess is this discussion will paraphrase that one to some degree.

All that said, clearly U2 is a band that tries to include an important message in every song and because of that, lyrics will get their share of the vote.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »
My vote's for music.  The first thing that gets noticed in a song and catches your attention is the music.  You listen to and appreciate the lyrics later (if they're worth appreciating).

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 08:12:10 PM »
Ha, ha-StrongGirl holding strong with one vote for the lyric :)

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 09:15:09 PM »
The music has got to rock.  Lyrics are important, but it has to be about the music 1st.

I will take a mole diggin' in a hole any day if the song rocks as much as Elevation does.

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 03:39:02 AM »
Music first. But if the lyrics are rubbish I tend to not listen to the song.

Mal

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 04:49:29 AM »
The lyrics don't mean sh*t to be honest, in my opinion. It's all about the drums"  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 04:58:54 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The lyrics don't mean sh*t to be honest, in my opinion. It's all about the drums"  ;D ;D ;D

Best qote ever. :D

Why do I not think like this. Im a drummer lol.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 05:07:19 AM »
It depends entirely on the song. For example, One Step Closer from the last album is very subdues musically, but imo it still works because of the lyrics. Meanwhile Elevation has nonsense lyrics, but the music makes you feel good. So both are very important, but some songs are built on the sounds, and others the lyrics. U2 are very good at both, which is why I like them.

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 05:11:04 AM »
As a our favourite drummer once said:

"I couldnt give a sh** abiout the lyrics, its all about the drums"

haha and thats how I feel!

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 07:00:45 AM »
I'm with StrongGirl.  For me, it's about the lyrics.  the music is a frame for the message.  i agree that s**t music framing incredible lyrics is meaningless.  But what always has drawn me in was the sheer poetry of Bono's lyrics, set into a beautiful frame.  Even when I was young, and didn't understand the lyrics (Unforgettable Fire, anyone?), I was entranced by the pictures they created in my head.  That's why I've never been in love with COBL.  I know it's a favorite of a lot of people, and the music is incredible.  However, the lyrics just don't move me.  So I'm meh on the whole song.  (There, StrongGirl.  Now lyrics, has 2 votes!)