Poll

What's more Important in a U2 song: Lyrics or Music?

The Music
21 (67.7%)
The Lyrics
10 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: What's more Important in a U2 song: Lyrics or Music?  (Read 7686 times)

Offline Yggdrasille

• Refugee
Re: What's more Important in a U2 song: Lyrics or Music?
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2008, 10:37:11 PM »
Music. There are a few U2 songs that I appreciate both musically and lyrically, but overall I'm pretty indifferent to Bono's lyrics.

Revolver7

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2008, 11:53:31 PM »
You need both for a good song...but I lean towards lyrics

Offline Thehorsefly [whinny!]

• Desert Rose
  • Nobody gonna feel no pain,Nobody gonna cry someday
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2008, 12:22:52 AM »
 It depends with me. I guess I could say the music, because the first time I hear a song I usually get hooked onto it if it has a great melody and normally don't decipher the words (or look them up) until later. Of coure there are some songs where the lyrics get you more than the melody does... They are both very important anyway.

Offline ProofThatThisIsReal

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2008, 08:56:45 AM »
Yes, both the music and lyrics are both important to a song, but asking which is better forces you to think about which you personally like better.  I know, its painful for some, I'm sorry, but just say which you lean toward, and if you don't know then think about it overall with any kind of music, (what gets you hooked with a song on the radio?)

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2008, 12:19:50 PM »
Music is what initially catches my ear, but lyrics are just slightly less important. Elevation is a fun song, but every time I hear it, I think, "I hope people who hate U2 never hear this song, because it'd give them a LOT of ammo" (of course, tons of them HAVE heard it, which makes me cringe).

That said...I still listen to the damn thing all the time and sing along.  :D So my vote goes to music.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »
Music - there are a few special moments out there when both happen...

Offline Ro~Jo

• Stateless
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 10:16:47 PM »
In the words of Jon Foreman (frontman of modern rock band Switchfoot): "With the best songs the music and lyrics come together, like two branches of the same tree."

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2008, 11:29:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
In the words of Jon Foreman (frontman of modern rock band Switchfoot): "With the best songs the music and lyrics come together, like two branches of the same tree."

Ditto

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2009, 10:31:34 PM »
I just had to resurrect this thread one last time because I visited the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Annex in New York today. A certain artist was quoted as saying this:

"Lyrics are just as important to a song as the music. If there were no lyrics there would be no song."

Bob Dylan 

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2009, 11:01:31 PM »
I just had to resurrect this thread one last time because I visited the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Annex in New York today. A certain artist was quoted as saying this:

"Lyrics are just as important to a song as the music. If there were no lyrics there would be no song."

Bob Dylan 

Mr. Dylan, I'd like you to meet instrumental tracks.  Instrumental tracks, I'd like you to meet Mr. Dylan.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2009, 05:24:54 AM »
Music - there are a few special moments out there when both happen...

Amen to that. Think of Edge's solos we love, best intros we love, all these things that have nothing to do with the lyrics. We say other bands sound like U2, we don't say their lyrics sound like Bono's lyrics.

However I do love Bono's lyrics, even the goofy, slapstic rhymes. They're each a piece of The Bono Puzzle.

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2009, 01:57:45 PM »
Now that I think about it, Music and lyrics often go together such as in a chorus or syncopated part of the song, but that is more of how the lyrics are sung and not what they particularly are.  Think about this, do you enjoy listening to someone sing an awesome-sounding song in Japanese or some foreign language?  I do if the song is good, though I still enjoy it less then I probably would if I could understand what they were saying (but not by too much) Anyway, that's a question of how the lyrics are sung and not exactly what the lyrics are.  Think about it, that Japanese person or whatever could be singing about cows flying past Neptune to engage in a cosmopolic war.  But we don't know that and it still sounds good to us (me) if we can't understand it.  So, I'm not really sure what I'm asking (again), but what's more important-

The way the lyrics are sung

or-

What the lyrics are exactly

Anyone have any examples for either arguments?

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2009, 02:25:58 PM »
what's more important-

or-

Weird that you're asking this question like it just occured to you when I specifically referenced this issue in my post, the first response you got in this thread.

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2009, 02:53:37 PM »
what's more important-

or-

Weird that you're asking this question like it just occured to you when I specifically referenced this issue in my post, the first response you got in this thread.

Oh, wow, sorry God, Part II-  You deserve all the credit for that one.  I haven't looked at this thread for a while so I forgot what all had been said.  *slaps himself*

luieu2

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2009, 03:02:34 PM »
its all about the drums ;D