Author Topic: Magnificent is gonna be remembered as a classic  (Read 6019 times)

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
Re: Magnificent is gonna be remembered as a classic
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2009, 07:48:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
:)

I actually think your avatar would better suit our dear forum friend, Evil Bono. :)

andym

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2009, 10:01:40 PM »
not for me unfortunately

having a line like magnificent in a single is asking for trouble.

The verse really dives and The chorus lines are ok.

the end just seems to trail off.

moment of surrender will be though

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2009, 06:11:51 AM »
I think the only thing that's missing in this song is a killer chorus. I think the verses really build well and the "ooh ooh" bits add great anticipation for the chorus and then it just sounds ... good but not as great as I was hoping. It sounds a little to easy for me and not quite the big, grand moment that the rest of the song builds towards. I still like the song a lot, but I don't see it as the best on the record. I personally prefer MoS also; that manages to balance a song that's interesting musically and is also stirring and emotive.

Offline exmachinax

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2009, 04:57:12 PM »
Magnificent is gonna be remembered as a classic

Not for me. Nice song, but it lacks something to be remarkable, as I said in another thread.

Lacks what, you ask? Don't know. I just feel this way.  ???

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2009, 10:19:43 AM »
I'm surprised actually that some people don't think it's classic. And, some have said it doesn't have a chorus? Wtf?!

The chorus starts with "Only Love, Only Love can leave such a mark" through to "Magnificent" repeated. It's one of the better chorus U2 have done. It's "Fantastic".

Look, there are classic U2 songs, and there are songs that U2 have done that would be classics in anyone's book. Songs that are universally classic.

A Classic U2 Song would be something like: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Beautiful Day, New Year's Day...for example.

A Universally Classic Song (That U2 have done) are songs like: Pride (In The Name Of Love), and One. These songs are so well written they are nearly impossible to deny. They are some of the best songs written by anyone, at any time, in any place.

Then there's "Streets" which I think falls into both camps. Universally classic but hardly anyone could pull it off except U2.

"Magnificent" in my humble opinion falls into the category of the (1st) & former, a Classic U2 song. And that's a great thing.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 10:21:30 AM by Mr. BonorFLYd »

Vonobox

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009, 01:03:46 PM »
I'm not much of a fan of all the discobeat Magnificent remixes, but I heard the radio edit twice last week on the radio.  (is that redundant??)  Anyway, I much prefer the album version.  Exile's edit is quite good too. 

I think it ranks up there with Beautiful Day, One, Streets, Pride and SBS.  The fact that it's not ALL OVER THE RADIO is a sign o' the times in commercial broadcasting rather than a function of Magnificent being a second-tier song. 

U2 have only had three gold singles in their history - Beautiful Day, Vertigo and Discotheque.  Magnificent is much better than the latter two (although they are good songs too). 

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 09:32:38 AM »
I'm surprised actually that some people don't think it's classic. And, some have said it doesn't have a chorus? Wtf?!

The chorus starts with "Only Love, Only Love can leave such a mark" through to "Magnificent" repeated. It's one of the better chorus U2 have done. It's "Fantastic".

Look, there are classic U2 songs, and there are songs that U2 have done that would be classics in anyone's book. Songs that are universally classic.

A Classic U2 Song would be something like: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Beautiful Day, New Year's Day...for example.

A Universally Classic Song (That U2 have done) are songs like: Pride (In The Name Of Love), and One. These songs are so well written they are nearly impossible to deny. They are some of the best songs written by anyone, at any time, in any place.

Then there's "Streets" which I think falls into both camps. Universally classic but hardly anyone could pull it off except U2.

"Magnificent" in my humble opinion falls into the category of the (1st) & former, a Classic U2 song. And that's a great thing.

The idea of "Only love can make such a mark and only love can heal such a scar" is also found in the lyrics of "Grace" and I believe "Grace" is a much better written song.  Many have said that song is boring, but I think its the most beautiful song u2 has written this decade.  As to Magnificent, I at first thought it would be a classic, but I also think its missing something.  It may be that the riff is a bit too "u2 formula."  Take out the Eno treatment and it sounds like a leftover from October, and I actually think Gloria is the better song.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 09:36:56 AM »
they are just different songs. I also like Grace. Both are very good. I wouldn't want an entire album of the song Grace in the same tempo, just as I wouldn't want 'Magnificent. 'Different' is what makes the world a more interesting place.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 08:29:10 PM »

For me, the chorus of Magnificent is too cliche lyrically to raise it into classic status. Add in the out-of-place French disco elements (claps, bongos, synths), and it has no chance to compare to their classics. Actually, I think it's one of the worst songs on the album, which isn't to say it's a bad song 'cause the album is a great one.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 08:32:05 PM by Bundang Dave »

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 08:37:21 PM »

For me, the chorus of Magnificent is too cliche lyrically to raise it into classic status. Add in the out-of-place French disco elements (claps, bongos, synths), and it has no chance to compare to their classics. Actually, I think it's one of the worst songs on the album, which isn't to say it's a bad song 'cause the album is a great one.

that's obviously fine because that's how you feel about it. i think it's great personally. but someone or more than one person said it 'doesn't have a chorus'. and, I've read this in other threads as well. it's okay to say you don't like the chorus or you think it lacks a more developed chorus. But NO chorus? That's absurd. All I know is that when blasting it on the highway with the windows down on a sunny day - its AWESOME!

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 10:39:01 PM »

NOT out of place French disco elements. The working title of the song was "French Disco". So obviously they were a part of the genesis of what became "Magnficent".

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2009, 12:36:58 AM »

NOT out of place French disco elements. The working title of the song was "French Disco". So obviously they were a part of the genesis of what became "Magnificent".

Indeed they were part of the genesis of the song. Despite that, they're still out of place because they don't fit in with the vocal, lyric, drum, and guitar . . . all IMHO of course.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2009, 02:43:27 PM »

NOT out of place French disco elements. The working title of the song was "French Disco". So obviously they were a part of the genesis of what became "Magnificent".

I personally like that juxtaposition. to me that often makes a piece of music interesting. clashing elements when brilliantly put together create a bit of tension in music (not always emotional but more a pushing and pulling between the instruments or between the rhythm and the melody.). U2 often gets this right as they also manage to make it sound natural. I think they largely succeed on that here too. It's one of my faves on this album. It's like Disco-Spiritual, or Disco-Gospel. I love that about it....just my opinion.
Indeed they were part of the genesis of the song. Despite that, they're still out of place because they don't fit in with the vocal, lyric, drum, and guitar . . . all IMHO of course.

Offline LOGAN B

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Ambition Bites the Nails of Success.
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2009, 01:35:59 PM »
I think if Magnificent would have been in let's say the WAR album then it would have been a classic. It sounds like it would have fit perfectly in the 80's. It's not a classic now. Sorry. U2's last classic was Beautiful Day. A classic has to be a song that enters into the culture and finds a spot there.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2009, 04:31:36 PM »
I think if Magnificent would have been in let's say the WAR album then it would have been a classic. It sounds like it would have fit perfectly in the 80's. It's not a classic now. Sorry. U2's last classic was Beautiful Day. A classic has to be a song that enters into the culture and finds a spot there.

not in my opinion. If that were true - then Black Eyed Peas would be classic and so would Jonas Brothers.