Author Topic: Magnificent is gonna be remembered as a classic  (Read 5536 times)

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2009, 07:31:14 PM »
Vertigo hit the culture pretty well, and IMO its nowhere near a classic. In fact, Magnificent blows Vertigo away. But so does the rest of NLOTH. So much better than the last 2 albums. IMO.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
Re: Magnificent is gonna be remembered as a classic
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2009, 11:54:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For me, the chorus of Magnificent is too cliche lyrically to raise it into classic status. Add in the out-of-place French disco elements (claps, bongos, synths), and it has no chance to compare to their classics. Actually, I think it's one of the worst songs on the album, which isn't to say it's a bad song 'cause the album is a great one.

NOT out of place French disco elements. The working title of the song was "French Disco". So obviously they were a part of the genesis of what became "Magnificent".

Indeed they were part of the genesis of the song. Despite that, they're still out of place because they don't fit in with the vocal, lyric, drum, and guitar . . . all IMHO of course.

Rhythmically/melodically or culturally?

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2009, 08:31:22 AM »
I think if Magnificent would have been in let's say the WAR album then it would have been a classic. It sounds like it would have fit perfectly in the 80's. It's not a classic now. Sorry. U2's last classic was Beautiful Day. A classic has to be a song that enters into the culture and finds a spot there.

SO...I guess you're saying that the songs "WHO LET THE DOGS OUT" and "THE MACARENA" are classics then?!   ???

PRETTY LAUGHABLE, really.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2009, 12:42:49 PM »
You can see what he means though; a song is remembered as a "classic" by mainstream audiences only if the music is indicitive of the time. For that reason I think Beautiful Day will generally be remembered as a classic, but I'm not sure if Magnificent will be. That's not to say Magnificent's inferior though.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2009, 03:15:12 PM »
I see what he means...it has merit. It's just not exactly accurate though. The mainstream public places a lot of emphasis on disposable and sensational songs. It's unfortunate that a song like "who let the dogs out" gets remembered. Even worse that "The Chicken Dance" is also considered Classic under this rational. Also Saline Dion's "My Heart Will Implode ...umm Go On".

Offline Bundang Dave

• Running to Stand Still
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2009, 05:10:26 PM »
For me, the chorus of Magnificent is too cliche lyrically to raise it into classic status. Add in the out-of-place French disco elements (claps, bongos, synths), and it has no chance to compare to their classics. Actually, I think it's one of the worst songs on the album, which isn't to say it's a bad song 'cause the album is a great one.

NOT out of place French disco elements. The working title of the song was "French Disco". So obviously they were a part of the genesis of what became "Magnificent".

Indeed they were part of the genesis of the song. Despite that, they're still out of place because they don't fit in with the vocal, lyric, drum, and guitar . . . all IMHO of course.

Rhythmically/melodically or culturally?

Hmm . . . for me rhythmically and I suppose culturally. The song would work much better with a more traditional Larry Mullen marching beat than what they decided to go with. Adam's bassline in excellent as is but gets lost too much under the weight of the tacked on disco elements. I say culturally too, though I don't know if that's really the right word for it, because I just find the synths and added on disco beats tacky, which undermines the lyrical theme. That's just my taste/bias. The actual notes done with the synths sound fine to me when it's Edge's guitar playing them live.

Vonobox

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2009, 08:39:05 AM »
I see what he means...it has merit. It's just not exactly accurate though. The mainstream public places a lot of emphasis on disposable and sensational songs. It's unfortunate that a song like "who let the dogs out" gets remembered. Even worse that "The Chicken Dance" is also considered Classic under this rational. Also Saline Dion's "My Heart Will Implode ...umm Go On"

LOL

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2009, 08:48:27 AM »
worst song on the album.  and my least favorite song since love rescue me.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2009, 11:14:42 AM »
classic coke.  8)

Offline yahweh

• Stateless
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2009, 01:06:46 PM »
I think such debate is useless, what is classic or not will always be subjective. On the other hand i think we should ask ourselves what songs are relevant culturally/thematically that speak to us universally, and for that Magnificent reflects our time perfectly, imo, and it's a song in the mainstream, maybe it's not as catchy as Pride, but give it time, people will certainly return to this song in the future. Btw, Vertigo and COBL are another socially/culturally relevant songs, as i have already heard numerous references to these songs(melodies) in the media over the years.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2009, 02:18:12 PM »
It's just too derivative to be a classic. 

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »
Classic:  something that withstands the test of time.

So, no, something like "Who Let the Dogs Out" or whatever is not a classic for goodness sakes....  People throw the word classic out so much.  I'll get back to you in 10-15 years.  Dark Side of the Moon?  Now, yes, classic. 

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2009, 04:06:20 PM »
I think for a classic it's at least got to do well in the pathetic excuse for a top 40 we have nowadays!
And correct me if I'm wrong, but Magnificent didn't trouble the charts much did it?

Offline Zoostazione

• Stateless
  • Ticket to paradise
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2009, 05:36:39 AM »
Classic on first listen, vocals remind me of UTEOTW, guitar and propulsive beat like NYD.

U2 ought to try and open with Magnificent, any suggestions how...Edge comes out first, synth intro first, Bono a cappella first, anybody?

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2009, 06:24:15 AM »
I think for a classic it's at least got to do well in the pathetic excuse for a top 40 we have nowadays!
And correct me if I'm wrong, but Magnificent didn't trouble the charts much did it?

'Desire' was U2's first #1, and yet it's hardly going to be remembered as a classic more than Streets, WOWY, I Will Follow, etc which preceded it.

Charts don't mean all that much to quality