Author Topic: Magnificent is gonna be remembered as a classic  (Read 6022 times)

Offline 9clock

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Magnificent is gonna be remembered as a classic
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2009, 08:04:05 AM »
I think it's ok but I like "moment of surrender" better.

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2009, 09:14:10 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think for a classic it's at least got to do well in the pathetic excuse for a top 40 we have nowadays!
And correct me if I'm wrong, but Magnificent didn't trouble the charts much did it?

'Desire' was U2's first #1, and yet it's hardly going to be remembered as a classic more than Streets, WOWY, I Will Follow, etc which preceded it.

Charts don't mean all that much to quality

No, but Streets and WOWY were still huge hits - Top 10 UK and WOWY no 1 in the USA. Magnificent hardly got in to the top 40. Outside loyal U2 fans I just don't think the average person probably even knows the song.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2009, 12:31:15 PM »
U2 generally do pretty well on radio but they've rarely dominated on singles charts really although they typically get in the top #40-50. they do much better selling albums and touring. Magnificent in another time would have ranked much better. It's a great song for sure and will imho sit in the realm of their classics, but it's not a super catchy song like Desire or Angel of Harlem, or Beautiful Day. Those are pretty much the catchiest that U2 get. But, even when Desire and AOH came out they weren't of the time. they sounded a little unusual on the radio. A quality I like about U2 music.

A lot of people think rock music is dead. U2 have outlasted the genre they were a part of but only because they were always unusual. they blend genres and ideas. the challenge now for U2 is getting people to see them differently. Because U2 conquered rock and have sat on top of the throne for over 25 years, people will say they they are 'just' a rock band. And they think rock is passe. As fans of U2's music, we know they have changed, pushed the boundaries, and pulled the genre apart and put it back together again. it must be weird for them though to see the primary genre that they conquered go nearly extinct. indie rock really doesn't rock for the most part. it's more folk than anything. And the other so called 'rock' bands are more Pop than Rock. Kings of Leon may be able to keep the Rock going though and if more bands follow their lead, a form of the genre could rise again.

Either way, as long as U2 keep making great albums that's all I care about. I could care less what genre(s) they play with as long as they apply their trademark style and songwriting.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 12:34:57 PM by Mr. BonorFLYd »

Offline LinneaS

• Babyface
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2009, 01:42:14 AM »
I do think Magnificent is a classic.  Among other things, I think it's some of Edge's very best playing, with that swirling, dizzying guitar line.  Lyrically, it's very simple, but that's OK.  I've heard some songs where the lyric writer was clearly trying to be too clever by half.  And it's a wonderful testament to the healing power of love, whether romantic or divine.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2009, 06:47:52 PM »
I love this song, but i think it will be difficult for it to become a classic because of the production of it. it sounds way too overproduced, the drums sound flat, the guitars are WAY too quiet, and the moroccan percussion is drowned out.
Now i remember hearing the bootleg version of this song, and it could have just been the quality of the recording, but to me it sounded like an infinitely superior version - there was a distinctive, brutal rythm guitar slamming down chords (making it sound live and rock n' roll), and on top of that there was an electronic guitar effect playing an amazing melody around Bono's voice (making the track sound experimental). If THIS had been the version they had released, imho it would have been a much better and more successful song. But sadly, to me Magnificent sounds too overproduced, it doesn't sound like the lads jamming together and making some great music with production over the top, it sounds like an obviously radio friendly, squeaky clean shell of its former self.  :-\
But Nonetheless, i love u2, and i still love this song, and at least it kicks ass live!  :)

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2009, 09:26:49 PM »
I love this song, but i think it will be difficult for it to become a classic because of the production of it. it sounds way too overproduced, the drums sound flat, the guitars are WAY too quiet, and the moroccan percussion is drowned out.
Now i remember hearing the bootleg version of this song, and it could have just been the quality of the recording, but to me it sounded like an infinitely superior version - there was a distinctive, brutal rythm guitar slamming down chords (making it sound live and rock n' roll), and on top of that there was an electronic guitar effect playing an amazing melody around Bono's voice (making the track sound experimental). If THIS had been the version they had released, imho it would have been a much better and more successful song. But sadly, to me Magnificent sounds too overproduced, it doesn't sound like the lads jamming together and making some great music with production over the top, it sounds like an obviously radio friendly, squeaky clean shell of its former self.  :-\
But Nonetheless, i love u2, and i still love this song, and at least it kicks ass live!  :)

um the guitar is probably the loudest instrument in the song. are you sure you have an ideal EQ setting?

Offline Gravy11

• Running to Stand Still
  • On borderland we run and don't look back!
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2009, 09:31:57 PM »
IT hooked me at first listen when they debuted the album online. I hit repeat a few times. I think this and "Unknown Caller" are the gems of Nloth. As for a classic....too soon to tell. I think in 5 years after 2-3 more albums, the overall tone might change and it will be right up there.

Asteroid41

« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2018, 04:37:25 PM »
IT hooked me at first listen when they debuted the album online. I hit repeat a few times. I think this and "Unknown Caller" are the gems of Nloth. As for a classic....too soon to tell. I think in 5 years after 2-3 more albums, the overall tone might change and it will be right up there.

Yep it's a classic to me!

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2018, 03:42:18 AM »
This was the first song on NLOTH to really resonate with me. I like it a lot. It has a good drive to it. I certainly think of it as a classic, and a song I wish would have more prominence live.

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2018, 01:43:15 PM »
There is a greatness of Magnificent waiting to be unleashed, as great as With Or Without You or One, I have a feeling it is bound to be rediscovered in wider appeal when the time comes, once it is included in some famous film or any other media, people will find greater resonance in this. Some songs do have this lingering power, sleeping silently only to be awakened again by new perceptions, to become truly Magnificent. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:44:53 PM by Sunchild »

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • Are you tough enough to be kind?
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2018, 02:01:56 PM »
Yes. And NLOTH is still a great album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2018, 05:04:34 PM »
Absolutely. It's the first U2 song to give me the chills from the first note - and make that an amazing feeling. When I first heard it, my first reaction was, "Oh my goodness, this is the best thing I've ever heard!"

I was very excited in my youth. I still like the song. Maybe not quite as much, but still plenty.

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2018, 04:13:06 AM »
Absolutely...

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
  • St Louis,Omaha,Montreal 1&2, NYC 3, Belfast 1,2
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2018, 06:39:29 AM »
All of the songs on NLOTH were great live and instantly great. The weakest of the lot live was the song NLOTH.

Offline lightmyway92

• Wanderer
  • On Borderland We Run
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2018, 08:56:57 AM »
It's an uplifting song of spiritual longing in the classic U2 tradition.  It should have been the first single off NLOTH.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 09:03:17 AM by lightmyway92 »