Author Topic: Best moments in U2 songs  (Read 2930 times)

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
Re: Best moments in U2 songs
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2009, 02:31:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

When I listened to the first three songs of POP, I am taken in a musical nightmare where U2 are trying to sound like Chemical Brothers, Beck, or Prodigy - I forget that they are U2. 

I definitely think their other influences at the time show heavily on those three songs. Thing is, I actually think Mofo is a triumph for them in this respect and sounds like U2 headed in another direction on their own terms and not just U2 trying to imitate another sound. Works really well for me - one of the few Pop songs I'd love to hear live again.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So yes, the kicking in of the Edge's guitars in If God Will Send His Angels is definitely one of their best moments.

Yes, when the familiarity of Edge chimes in there is something very reassuring. A very good song too.

One of my moments would be the vocal surge of Promenade

Like a firework explode
Roman Cande, lightening, lights up the sky.

Not an obvious choice perhaps, but it has really stuck with me over the years. Would love to hear that live too - even as just a snippet.

Of the latest material, I love the french horn/guitar solo in Unknown Caller.

Offline Kyle

• Babyface
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 10:24:37 PM »
Replying to this thread officially makes me an incurable fanboy, but here are mine:

Love is Blindness: 2:17. Edge's guitar wrenches your heart right out.

The First Time: 2:40-3:12. Beautiful.

Please [Strings version]: 4:21 - Edge's guitar is quietly screaming. It's desparate and heartfelt. Even better on the Popmart DVD, with Bono adding his weird vocal bit.

New Year's Day (Under a Blood Red Sky version): 0:12 - Bono gets a shout.

Moment of Surrender: 4:55 - 5:25 - again, Edge. I'm really more of a Bono fan, but Edge is the master of "moments".

For Bono, his vocals on the album version of 'One' and the Go Home version of 'Wake Up Dead Man' have similar impact on me as the rest of these moments.

Offline Samdoyle1987

• Babyface
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 10:06:27 AM »
Near the end of WOWY, when the guitar builds, the drums explode and bono bellows out, loud, clear sand open the desperate, agonised cry of "wooooaah oh oh oh"

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 10:28:16 AM »
The "whoo-hoo" in Elevation are quite beautiful.

Offline Vox

• Numb
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 10:52:20 AM »
1) "Until the End of the World":  The way the Edge's guitar goes off a little bit on the higher notes, before his solo, when Bono sings "In the garden I was playing the tart..."  It's more prevalent in the version of the song from the movie soundtrack.
2)  "Bad":  Bono's "woo-hoo, woo-hoo" parts on the album version (not the version on "The Best Of," nor in most modern-day live versions -- Bono's got to sing that segment two times, the second time being more powerful than the first).
3)  "Where the Streets Have No Name":  After the synth and Edge intro, the part where Adam comes in, when he slides his hand down the neck...  It's like an announcer at the track saying... "annnnd they're off!"
4)  "No Line on the Horizon":  The way the band plays during the part where Bono sings "I know a girl with a hole in her heart."  Where the Edge goes into freight-train mode, like a slowed down riff from the fly, and Adam's bass rises and falls.  It still gives me the chills. 

That's all for now.  Carry on.