Author Topic: Favorite Album (Icebreaker)  (Read 8067 times)

Offline Ultraviolet [ACAAs Polisher of Shiny PopMart Basses]

• Child of Grace
  • Babe, it must be art!
Favorite Album (Icebreaker)
« on: October 16, 2008, 12:33:17 AM »
Ok, so to get everybody acquainted with the new forum (and break the ice a bit), let's discuss our favorite albums and why!

I love Achtung Baby for all the textures and layers of sound and emotion... And the colors! Maybe it's just me, but I can get a distinct sense of color when I hear this album. (e.g., Edge's guitar in Mysterious Ways seems like flashes of blue to me...) It's like a great book that you can read repeatedly and get something different out of it every time.   :)

Offline TheFly

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Favorite Album (Icebreaker)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 04:54:11 AM »
The first three records i ever heard of U2 were The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, and Zooropa, so they obviously stand out for me for that reason alone.

I love Bono's vocals on Achtung Baby, deep and rich at times, and the lyrics are out of this world.

It's the experimentation of Zooropa that captures me for that record, some wonderful lyrics that really summed up the band at the time - "Uncertainty ... will be our guiding light"

Joshua Tree - need i say more ...

I also love the sound of The Unforgettable Fire - sonic spreads of sound.

But they're all great albums.

Offline bonovox66

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 11:02:13 AM »
ZOOROPA

This album more than any other shows how versitile they are. It has a special place for me too, it was released on my 13th birthday only a year after I first discovered U2. I listenned to this album every night for a year. I still play it more than any other album.

It also shows some of Bono's best lyrics. The song Lemon is one of the smartest and most moving songs I've ever heard. The music is amazing from the sonic openning of Zooropa to the crashing sounds of Daddy's Gonna Pay, to the somber closer w/ Johny Cash. There is not a single song on this album that I skip over when listenning to.

A close second would have to be Unforgettable Fire. Follwed by POP.

With that being said, each album is special to me in a way unique to that album. Every album reminds me of a great memory or time in my life. I have grown up with U2 and they have litteraly been the sound track of my life.

Offline B-Wood

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • AchtungCloud on old forum
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 12:24:59 PM »
Zooropa

And by a pretty large margin.  The opening title track is my favorite song of all-time and really shows how music can be experimental but beautiful and have mass appeal all at the same time.  Bono's lyrics on the album are his best work and even on the songs that are weaker the lyrics save the song on this album...which is kinda the opposite from a lot of weaker U2 songs. 

mariamontreal

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 01:02:29 PM »
Achtung Baby , there is something about the sound and the feeling I get when I listen to it , it's like there 's a song for every feeling and mood for the monent that I am in at that particular time whether happy , sad , meloncholy , whatever ! I never get bored of it .

Offline shkee23

• Wanderer
  • That's where Adam is...Lost in Space
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
The Joshua Tree has always been my favorite. The ability of the band to paint such a vivid picture is incredible and something I haven't experience on any other album, U2 or otherwise. While I love Achtung Baby's exceptional lyrics and musical innovation, The Joshua Tree takes the cake for me. The landscapes that are created in Edge's guitar work, which soars above Bono's almost ethereal voice is something that cannot be duplicated, in my opinion. Achtung Baby is close, though...

Offline Edges Les Paul

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • This is Edge; we're not sure where we got him.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 02:59:23 PM »
Achtung Baby

Over the summer, I listened to this disc in my car for days and days and just really became a believer in its brilliance. The poetry in the lyrics...just amazing. I love all the metaphor and imagery in songs like "So Cruel" and "Love is Blindness." I also feel a special connection because (1) "Mysterious Ways" was my first favorite U2 song, and I took my senior quote from it, and (2) because the emotional angst is just palpable, and it really spoke to how I was feeling this summer. Also, the Edge rocks, especially in "The Fly."

I also agree with Ultraviolet on how it is a colorful album, although I tend to see "Mysterious Ways" as a rainbow of colors (and I think this is largely due to the lights they used when they performed it on the Vertigo tour).

p.s. I just have to try out the smileys. How about Fly Smiley?  8)

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 05:05:51 PM »
First started listening to them in the 80's before the JT. My first album was The Unforgettable Fire. I was surprised how good it was and checked out the other three. Boy was a great debut album and I quite liked October. War was also strong. JT when it came out, blew me away, being better than I expected. Rattle and Hum did'nt float my boat much at the time as I am not into live songs. But 'All I Want Is You' is now one of my favourite U2 songs. AB & Z were different and innovative. 'Pop' was disappointing after a 4 year wait but if you also add the best of 'Passengers' & the Goldeneye and 'Hold me, Thrill Me' songs, you've got a collection of decent songs.  There last two have been solid but unspectacular. Let's hope the new CD will be an innovative and great double. 

InThisHeartland

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 05:23:14 PM »
i absolutely love BOY and UABRS

i absolutely hate ZOOROPA

Offline coolbluereason

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 07:07:28 PM »
I have always loved both Zooropa and Achtung Baby. I always hear something new when I listen to Zooropa, and what makes me sad is that people underrate it. In fact my dad calls both Zooropa and Pop "The Dark Ages". Zooropa will always be one of my favorites. Achtung Baby is obviously a great album, full of melancholy and at times irony, but it can sometimes be predictable. It will still be one of my all time favorites though!

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 06:44:11 AM »
For sentimental reasons, Joshua Tree will always be my favorite album.  The music, the message, the videos, the album art, it all converged to just blow me away.  I was just out of high school, and had the time to listen to the album over and over and over..... I call it my 'Sgt. Pepper moment'.  I felt the way I imagine people in the 60;s felt after hearing Sgt. Pepper- like the universe had just been changed for me.  Now that I'm older, I can appreciate the album's strengths and weaknesses better, and I certainly have been blown away by other U2 albums (AB).  I no longer have the time in my life to fully inhabit an album like I did that one, so I think I will never have another 'Sgt. Pepper moment'.  But I have high hopes for the next album!

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »
I love all of their albums but The Joshua Tree is my all-time favorite. It really opened my eyes and ears to what music really could be: sweeping, cinematic, and epic. It showed me that an album could be more than just a collection of songs; it could be an experience, a sonic journey of mountains and valleys and it could paint pictures with words and sounds. Even though I know every word and note I always feel like I'm hearing it again for the first time. ;D

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 10:56:38 AM »
I don't really have a favourite album. But it there is really one I had to choose I think it would have to be The Joshue Tree. I Agree with virtigo40 its just so grand and epic.

Achtung Baby a close second. Just some of the songs Im not really a fan of.

Mal

mariamontreal

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2008, 12:01:38 PM »
Same here Ultraviolet . I love Zooropa , JT , all that have been mentioned but AB just has that special  " Je ne sais quoi" about it .

Offline matam

• Wanderer
  • Sing your heart out......
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2008, 12:19:48 PM »
I'm also a big ACHTUNG BABY fan  8)  It's just because each and every song on that album is simply brilliant in my eyes ( or better said ears  :D ). And I really mean it.........the whole mood of that record blows my mind every time I listen to it.

Simply said... from the very beginning (every time "Zoo Station" starts, I get really excited  :)) to the ending tones of Love is Blindness, it's a pure beauty to me.