Poll

When do you think the next tour will start?

March 2009
0 (0%)
April 2009
3 (9.1%)
May 2009
15 (45.5%)
June 2009
9 (27.3%)
late summer 2009
5 (15.2%)
fall 2009 (or later)
1 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: When do you think the next tour will start?  (Read 5938 times)

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
When do you think the next tour will start?
« on: December 30, 2008, 10:38:06 PM »
I was wondering when folks thought the tour would start and what you thought it would look like (arenas then stadiums or all stadiums, just 2009 vs. a 3 year ordeal, etc.).  The former makes sense in a poll, but feel free to elaborate on what you think the tour will shape up to be.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: When do you think the next tour will start?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 11:31:51 PM »
I'm thinking the later part of the summer because the band likes to spend some time with their kids when they are off from school. But they also like warmer weather for outdoor concerts too and they have had like 5 years to spend with their kids so maybe earlier in the summer! They usually do Europe in the summer months and US in the fall perhaps. I noticed they seem to enjoy coming to NYC in the autumn. I really do not think this will stretch for more than a year (maybe two). I just don't think they want to travel and be away from their families for that long anymore and dare I say, they are um, a bit older now! I'm older so I can say that! It takes it toll quicker ;)!

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 06:05:48 AM »
The last two tours have followed followed a similar pattern indoor shows in the USA starting around March then outdoor shows in Europe in the summer then back to the US for more indoor shows in autumn/fall. Seeing that the album is only out in March i would think that the tour would start sometime in the summer , if its a outdoor show as Bono seems to be hinting at they would have to catch the summer months in Europe.
Though it does seem that U2 do like to start tours in the US first every one since The Joshua Tree has started this way . If they started the tour April/may in the warmer states in the US ( Vegas has been mentioned as a possible start ) they could still make Europe for the back end of summer .
Would be nice if they did some indoor shows in Europe as last tour we had to travel to the USA to see the indoor show , which i felt was better than the outdoor set .
Which ever way they do it I just can't wait !!

Boom Cha!

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 11:44:44 AM »
I chose May.

Plus, my birthday is in May. It's destiny.... ;D

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 03:38:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Would be nice if they did some indoor shows in Europe as last tour we had to travel to the USA to see the indoor show , which i felt was better than the outdoor set .

I think they didn't have indoor shows in Europe is because the band said there's not that many indoor arenas like we have in the U.S. but Elevation had some indoor shows so I don't know?

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 08:01:47 AM »

I think they didn't have indoor shows in Europe is because the band said there's not that many indoor arenas like we have in the U.S. but Elevation had some indoor shows so I don't know?

Does seem a strange reason because in the UK we have some very good indoor arenas that like you say U2 used during the Elevation tour . To cover the demand for tickets and play indoor shows in Europe would mean long stints in one city 4 or 5 nights in one place so maybe that was a reason . I think U2 were a little unsure of playing the stadiums in the US after the POPMART tour so the indoor arenas were a safer option. But after the success of the last two tours maybe they feel confident enough to play the stadiums in the US again !

mariamontreal

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 09:32:45 AM »
I am guessing May or June .

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 08:37:07 PM »
June seems like a pretty good choice I reckon.

streetmission

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 08:59:02 PM »
I am guessing May and that it will start in Europe with the US second.

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 06:43:20 AM »
It's a possibility that the tour could start in Europe this time around, followed by Stadiums in the US in September, who knows, we all wild guessing, we'll just have to be patient and wait a few more weeks

Offline bonogrl from Boston

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I had the feeling it was out of control
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 09:33:14 AM »
My guess is June because I think they might want people to have a chance to really listen to the new album for a bit to get to know it before they start touring so as not to have the same problem they had with POP.  I can't imagine them releasing the album and then putting tickets on sale a couple weeks later, but I could be wrong....

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »
My guess is May, which gives them 2 months to promote the album and rehearse, seems possible.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 04:06:28 PM »
Boom Cha! what day is your birthday?

Well, I hope they don't start it in the first part of the year. The reason being I hope to be out of here and back in the civilized world before the summer, where I will actually have a chance to see them.

Before the Vertigo tour they rehearsed for quite a few months, so seeing the album comes out in March I don't see them starting a big tour in the first part of 2009. Then again maybe they've been rehearsing in secret, and will surprise us with a tour right after the album, although I doubt it.

silvrlvr

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 02:46:39 PM »
It's a possibility that the tour could start in Europe this time around, followed by Stadiums in the US in September, who knows, we all wild guessing, we'll just have to be patient and wait a few more weeks

They'd have to do stadiums in the summer in the U.S., unless they save the fall dates for southern cities. The weather can be unpredictable in the fall here, and sports will conflict (college and pro football schedules are set years in advance, unlike this tour.)

Offline macmango

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 07:12:01 PM »
Bono's rumored comments from 8 Jan are at the very least, logical.  I'm starting to accept that a spring US start will not happen, and I'm starting to believe that a fall, N American stadium tour is not as taboo as some say.

In this economy, stadiums will jump at the chance to schedule events around football.  Take a venue such as Dolphin Stadium in Miami, that is marketed by its ownership & management as "a world-class sports and entertainment facility" and "the premier stadium of the Americas".  It is just one of many venues that features thousands of square feet of luxury space, state of the art a/v technology, and piles of debt to pay off. Right, these companies may see the U2 tour as a saviour.

Concerns about the pitch have been addressed by the use of grated plastic pallets that form a grid on the field.  These allow the weight of equipment and people to be evenly dispersed, and both moisture and sunlight can still reach the grass.  Dispersing the weight of the stage uprights must remain an issue, but that's what the engineers are paid to figure out.

If there's one opinion I am very confident about, it's that we will never see another 131 show tour from this band.