Author Topic: ... Watch the charts  (Read 5321 times)

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
Re: ... Watch the charts
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2009, 02:55:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
in the pop music world crap floats to the top. it's great that U2 can even chart in the top 10 let alone have the top selling album for as long as they have. they are the exception. Lady Gaga is just a novelty act. Whoever is behind her however must be pretty powerful.
Well at least Maroon 5 ain't scoring "hits" no more. (well maybe they do of the chemical sort) But man oh man did that band suck.

Bobo

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2009, 04:25:47 AM »
Best Selling Albums in 2009 WORLDWIDE as of WEEK 31

1. U2 No Line On The Horizon 3,137,000
2. Lady Gaga The Fame 2,990,000
3. Eminem Relapse 2,381,000
4. Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 2,203,000
5. Taylor Swift Fearless 2,141,000
6. Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 2,064,000
7. Soundtrack Hannah Montana: The Movie 2,017,000
8. Green Day 21st Century Breakdown 1,911,000
9. Soundtrack Twilight 1,876,000
10. Michael Jackson Thriller 1,832,000
11. Michael Jackson Number Ones 1,757,000
12. Nickleback Dark Horse 1,692,000
13. Pink Funhouse 1,687,000

Worldwide Chat
30 (36) U2 - No Line On The Horizon
Island - 33.000

Give it 3 weeks and Lady gaga will be above U2. She is selling roughly around 90,000 a week comapred to u2's 30-40 thousand!

U2 should be the 2nd top seller of the year , but thats depending on what happens to MJ'S sales!
U2 strugling with lady gaga. Man music is really down the draqin. This is really sad and pathetic

JA, I agree with you. 30 years from now will an oldies station be playing any of those songs?

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2009, 04:39:58 AM »

Worldwide Chat
Island - 33.000

Give it 3 weeks and Lady gaga will be above U2. She is selling roughly around 90,000 a week comapred to u2's 30-40 thousand!

U2 should be the 2nd top seller of the year , but thats depending on what happens to MJ'S sales!
U2 strugling with lady gaga. Man music is really down the draqin. This is really sad and pathetic

JA, I agree with you. 30 years from now will an oldies station be playing any of those songs?
i doubt that you'll be hearing it in five years. u2 will be played but Lady gaga I don't think so. To be honest I've seen some of her videos and after they're finished I can remember the song. I can't even remember what the hell happened in her videos nor do i care)

I think the music industry should really start looking for people and artist who maybe don't look that good but can  sing everybody to tears. look at Etta James She looked ugly but damn what a voice. Look at most singers form the 60 70 80's Some looked like crap but they had reall charisma great voice and above TALENT. Look at Barry White The guy was fat sweaty looked like  a walrus but man Oh man That voice and sound. The way he looked with all the talent he had he would make it these days. Since everything is style over substance.

Where I live you hardly ever hear anything from the 90's (the era of mostly nontalent/the beginning of the end)
You hear a lot of 70's and a lot of 80's tunes (some very good) But the 90's is very dead in the water.

Cause at the end of the day A great tune or song transcends time. The rest will be forgotten and will remain that.

When I go buying records I still find some lost treasures from the 50's 60's 70's and 80's but to find a lost treasure from the 90's is hard and extremly rare and I really try to listen to everything that looks interresting. But the 90's are really hard to find.

You end up with pearl jam Radiohead  depeche mode and U2 since they were the best in those day the rest sound shorribly dated.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2009, 07:04:06 PM »

Worldwide Chat
Island - 33.000

i doubt that you'll be hearing it in five years. u2 will be played but Lady gaga I don't think so. To be honest I've seen some of her videos and after they're finished I can remember the song. I can't even remember what the hell happened in her videos nor do i care)

I think the music industry should really start looking for people and artist who maybe don't look that good but can  sing everybody to tears. look at Etta James She looked ugly but damn what a voice. Look at most singers form the 60 70 80's Some looked like crap but they had reall charisma great voice and above TALENT. Look at Barry White The guy was fat sweaty looked like  a walrus but man Oh man That voice and sound. The way he looked with all the talent he had he would make it these days. Since everything is style over substance.

Where I live you hardly ever hear anything from the 90's (the era of mostly nontalent/the beginning of the end)

You hear a lot of 70's and a lot of 80's tunes (some very good) But the 90's is very dead in the water.

Cause at the end of the day A great tune or song transcends time. The rest will be forgotten and will remain that.

When I go buying records I still find some lost treasures from the 50's 60's 70's and 80's but to find a lost treasure from the 90's is hard and extremly rare and I really try to listen to everything that looks interresting. But the 90's are really hard to find.

You end up with pearl jam Radiohead  depeche mode and U2 since they were the best in those day the rest sound horribly dated.
During U2's induction into the Rock & ROll Hall of Fame, I think it was Bono himself that pointed out that in today's music industry, the band would have never made it past their second album. You basically have to hit a home run right out of the box and then keep hitting them. That usually means either creating a huge controversy of some sort, or laying it very safe.

Other than perhaps U2 or REM, it is almost impossible to name a rock artist from 1980+ that had or has the longevity and power so that they will be remembered and still listened too for decades to come. But if you go back before 1980, the list is huge.

Maybe video did kill the radio star?

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2009, 08:27:39 AM »

Worldwide Chat
Island - 33.000

You end up with pearl jam Radiohead  depeche mode and U2 since they were the best in those day the rest sound horribly dated.
During U2's induction into the Rock & ROll Hall of Fame, I think it was Bono himself that pointed out that in today's music industry, the band would have never made it past their second album. You basically have to hit a home run right out of the box and then keep hitting them. That usually means either creating a huge controversy of some sort, or laying it very safe.

Other than perhaps U2 or REM, it is almost impossible to name a rock artist from 1980+ that had or has the longevity and power so that they will be remembered and still listened too for decades to come. But if you go back before 1980, the list is huge.

Maybe video did kill the radio star?

1980's plus and still listened to outside of U2 and R.E.M? Well let's start with Joy division since they influenced U2 in the eraly days and are still influencing band around the world, The Cure (their new music Isn't that good good but Their old albums still influences and are still listened to and rediscovered by leagues of people, Then New order made their stamp and still have a very large fanbase, The Human league (another band with lots of fans around the world and heaveliy influenced a lot of artists today. Simple Minds 80's songs have staying power (and a large fanbase) and also still inspiring lots of bands around the world and I still hear them a lot on Dutch radio (although I've really heard Don't you forget about me way too much),

Depeche mode is actually bigger than U2 in the eastblock of europe (Anton Corbijn's words so he knows)  and really heavely influenced most electronic musicians then and now and have a very very large fanbase in europe and north America. They we're actullay riveling U2 by the end of the 80 and beginning of the 90's And their live shows were just as good, Kraftwerk Started out end of the 60 went big in the 70 and were already legend in the beginning of the 80 and are the single most influencial electronic artists ever (i saw them a couple of years back in Amsterdam and they kicked butt, To be honest that was the most visually brillaint show I've ever seen in my life)

Tha talking heads are still listened to and have been a great influence, Echo and the bunnymen have influenced a large group of bands (including U2) The band Suicide influenced Bruce Springsteen's badlands, Sonic Youth started in the end 0f the 70's beginning 80's and have a very large fanbase and has been an influence to a large group of people,

Remember in the 80's U2 was one of the many bands around that were extremly good so the image that they were one of the few ( like now) is a very distorted vision which isn't true at all. In those days there were so many really good bands and some where in those days even better than U2. some are still influencing kids and band around the world and yes have a longlasting power.

By the way it wasn't only rock music that was really good but you also had great disco music, rap music (which was really good in those day, not that gangsta raps tripe kids are being fed now and it wasn't about putting down wommen and obtaining as much drugs or money as possible but it was about real music and fun lyrics) Even top 40 pop music wasn't that bad and some were even really could and are the classisc of today.

Any way you have to ahve beend there to see that U2 was one of the many great bands, they are one of the few to have survived but there were many bands just as good and sometimes better than U2. Joy Division although the singer died juts when U2 was gaining momentum was one of those bands who musicly were far superior than U2.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2009, 09:45:48 AM »
Johnny, you have many good points about music of the 80's, and I think Aurabender's reminder of Bono's observation hits the spot about the state of music.

A lot of that great music from the past were from bands and artists who climbed their way up to the top.  These days, mainstream music is expected to start at the top with no thoughts about how it is supposed to get there or whether it can even stay there.  U2 would have never succeeded in today's musical climate based on the fact that they really didn't hit it big until War.  Of course, there are exceptions, and maybe U2 would have been one, but generally, the answer is no.

In order to earn your way to the top or slowly ascend to the top, it seems like it works better now for artists to stay hidden and go through small labels (U2 may have survived via that way since Island was hardly a huge label at the time) and slowly build up a following.  With the strength of the internet, this is perhaps easier than it was in the past when bands needed a relatively big label to have a shot at the big time.  Now, you probably need to avoid the big labels just so you don't give the big label a chance to dump you when album 2 isn't a home run... Afterall, keeping the baseball analogy in tact, even the best hitters can't hit a home run every time they come to bat.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2009, 09:58:45 AM »
in terms of musicianship or complexity of musical elements, i'm not certain that U2 have ever been the most superior. unique and committed are qualities that come to mind that help make U2 superior. Bravery and Directness are also in the forefront. But what I think U2 do that no one else in popular music does on the same level is Believe. It's emotionally raw and naked music. They have a foot planted firmly on the ground but they are always singing towards the heavens. no one else in popular music has been able to make music this euphoric, this ecstatic and yet all the while talk about the gritty realities of life on earth, and the conflicts of the soul...and....make it genuine and believable. It's a very rare thing. I guess we could argue that some Soul Singers can do it, and maybe Bob Marley too. But, this music is often more in the heavens at such a great sustained height. It's a gift U2 have, and one they've generously shared with us.

Although many bands borrow from Edge, there are few bands that will approach making U2 influenced music on a deeper level. Because for most of this music, you have to believe on an intense level and have such bold convictions to be able to pull it off...otherwise it's embarrassing. Much of it is naked music.

because of that, it's not usually considered 'cool' music by younger bands. It's not so obscure or stylishly bleak in the may that Joy Division was. They had an emotion that is easy to relate to as a teenager. Angst, Depression, Alienation, Randomness. It is 'cool' to relate to that. It's easier to make music that is more genuine when channeling these emotions. On the other hand - Joy, and calling people on their politics, being direct, discussing Religion & conveying strong spirituality, and looking for solutions are usually considered 'uncool' by many. So, to make this sort of music is a much tougher job. Which is partly why many bands approach these ideals with trepidation. And, also why we aren't going to see too many new-U2's....if we ever will in our lifetime, or the next 100 years.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 10:13:17 AM by Mr. BonorFLYd »

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2009, 12:21:08 PM »
Johnny, you have many good points about music of the 80's, and I think Aurabender's reminder of Bono's observation hits the spot about the state of music.

A lot of that great music from the past were from bands and artists who climbed their way up to the top.  These days, mainstream music is expected to start at the top with no thoughts about how it is supposed to get there or whether it can even stay there.  U2 would have never succeeded in today's musical climate based on the fact that they really didn't hit it big until War.  Of course, there are exceptions, and maybe U2 would have been one, but generally, the answer is no.

In order to earn your way to the top or slowly ascend to the top, it seems like it works better now for artists to stay hidden and go through small labels (U2 may have survived via that way since Island was hardly a huge label at the time) and slowly build up a following.  With the strength of the internet, this is perhaps easier than it was in the past when bands needed a relatively big label to have a shot at the big time.  Now, you probably need to avoid the big labels just so you don't give the big label a chance to dump you when album 2 isn't a home run... Afterall, keeping the baseball analogy in tact, even the best hitters can't hit a home run every time they come to bat.
it's true There was a tiem when you signed to a lable and they gave you time to mature under their wings. I have couple of artist and bands from which I've collected or bought their records from the beginning on. For example I have all the Simple Minds records from the first one to Once upon a time... and I bought the last one also on vinyl, anyway if you listen to their fisrt album "life in a day" you can clearly hear a young band still looking for their sound, by the second one and the third one Real to Real Cacophony and empire and dance you can hear the defining their sound and going a bit further with it on Sons and fascination/ sister feelings call to hitting it big with and finding a brilliant sonic sound on New Gold Dream.

A lot of bands really got the time to work on their music. The Cure got time to get from not so good to very good, so did the Talking heads etc 

These days it's one misser and you're out. That's way you get all these one day flies. You and it's difficult to remember who had a hit last year. I really miss those days when a band got tyhe time to grow on you and you could follow their evoltuion Now record labels and costumers are all in for a quick fix.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2009, 01:24:30 PM »
you're talking about bands on a major label I assume? Indie/Independent often allows artists to fly under the radar a little more and develop. It seems that's part of the point of starting indie. Even Interpol did this. They started on the Matador label I believe, and then moved to Capitol. Personally, I think that 1st album was their best. Their current sound has become too clean and less atmospheric and therefore they've lost some of the mystery for me. So, perhaps they should've spent more development time with Matador..Although I'm sure there are financial advantages to their move.

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2009, 12:40:14 AM »
I'd like to add that my 12 year old isn't totally in love with U2, but she loves Crazy, & she says her friends like it too. :) I noticed tons of people really liking Crazy, as where the reaction to Boots & Magnificent were rather lukewarm. I think the Blackberry thing gave it a big boost, the song is just everywhere. I think Breathe is the next sngle though?  :-\ I mean.. I LOVE it.  It's just not going to appeal to the masses though. We're probably experiencing the high point of the entire NLOTH era right now.

Offline Johnny Amsterdam

• Desert Rose
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2009, 04:19:32 AM »
you're talking about bands on a major label I assume? Indie/Independent often allows artists to fly under the radar a little more and develop. It seems that's part of the point of starting indie. Even Interpol did this. They started on the Matador label I believe, and then moved to Capitol. Personally, I think that 1st album was their best. Their current sound has become too clean and less atmospheric and therefore they've lost some of the mystery for me. So, perhaps they should've spent more development time with Matador..Although I'm sure there are financial advantages to their move.
I was talking about bands on major and small labels in those days. You got time to mature as an artist or band. These days you have to have a hit with you're first record or else you're out.

These days it's smarter to go to a smaller indie label and start from there. Or even better start  your own small label like a lot of artist used to do.
I have great tracks form artist who printer their own vinyl and released their own records
Some are very good.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2009, 09:49:19 AM »
If Crazy was the first single instead of Boots, then the album would have sold better.

The album has momentarily dropped its freefall mostly because of the release of Crazy Tonight to radio and video, and not because of the tour since it has not even hit America yet, but Crazy has.

Cheers,

J