Author Topic: U2 Conference in October  (Read 3461 times)

Offline Tassoula

• Babyface
U2 Conference in October
« on: July 28, 2009, 06:50:08 PM »
Just curious - how many of you @U2 readers will be at the U2 Conference in North Carolina this October?

Offline mollyrein

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: U2 Conference in October
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:38:55 PM »
I will be, as will a couple of my friends for at least part of the time.  Since we got GA seats, we're not sure whether we should spend our time at the conference or in line for the concert (we will be going to Atlanta as well, but we're not as young as we used to be, and we don't want to be at the back of the line).  Any thoughts?

I can't tell you how thrilled I am to have this conference just 2 miles from my house, and welcome all the U2 fans who will be attending.  The presentations look really interesting.  I'm looking forward to meeting some of you, and to listening to the discussions well.  I'll be glad to answer questions about Durham.  The conference won't be in the "purtiest" part of town, but Durham has got some very cool restaurants, galleries, and shops for people to enjoy.

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 03:19:25 AM »

Think I'll try and pop in. I've enquired about the possibility of getting a wee stall there but haven't had any response to my email as yet.

Offline miaveni

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:02:39 AM »
I would love, love, love, to be there.....but I wont be going because of prior duties.  I am anxious to here all about it.  I'm also wondering if the lectures will be on sale after the event???  does anyone know????

Offline Dfit00

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Sing for your sanity
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 02:22:59 PM »
Wow, I didn't know about this! Looks pretty cool though, I'll see if I can get a flight and a registration offer.

Offline Isabella

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 04:39:52 PM »
It seems I've been waiting for this all my life!! I will be there, booked my hotel a while ago and got my plane ticket yesterday. I got a nosebleed ticket to the show on the third so I won't have to worry about getting in the GA line, and so I can see the whole shebang for once as I have GA for the other shows I'm seeing. My birthday is Oct. 5th so all I can say is...happy birthday to me!  ;)

Offline lauren

• Wanderer
  • found grace inside a sound
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 07:29:32 PM »
I am thinking about it...

Offline Tassoula

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 11:10:01 PM »
Details are available here for anyone who is still considering it...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Niterpi

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 06:01:12 AM »
i wish.  too bad this wasn't all nailed down before the tour tickets went on sale - i would have bought ralaigh tickets instead of chicago.  hey btw -does anyone know why the "Let Me In The Sound" video is not going to be shown at the conference?

Offline lauren

• Wanderer
  • found grace inside a sound
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 10:45:57 PM »
hey btw -does anyone know why the "Let Me In The Sound" video is not going to be shown at the conference?

I had the best time last weekend at the conference!  I made friends from around the world, learned more about Africa from the great Agnes Nyamayarwo whom Bono described as a true rock star in a wonderful video introduction he recorded for us, got to meet people whose work I have read like @U2 staff and Neil McCormick, heard interesting perspectives on the music and its meaning, and after a great concert stayed up late with other fans talking about it all.

Unfortunately the debut of Natalie Baker's "Let Me in the Sound" was delayed due to technical problems, but Natalie was still at the conference.  It was great meeting her and hearing about her film, and I can't wait until I can see it.

At first I wasn't sure if an academic U2 conference was my type of thing then figured I might regret it if I didn't check it out, and I am so glad I went.  Now I am hoping that there will be another someday and that lots of you will join us.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 11:02:18 PM »
hey btw -does anyone know why the "Let Me In The Sound" video is not going to be shown at the conference?

I had the best time last weekend at the conference!  I made friends from around the world, learned more about Africa from the great Agnes Nyamayarwo whom Bono described as a true rock star in a wonderful video introduction he recorded for us, got to meet people whose work I have read like @U2 staff and Neil McCormick, heard interesting perspectives on the music and its meaning, and after a great concert stayed up late with other fans talking about it all.

Unfortunately the debut of Natalie Baker's "Let Me in the Sound" was delayed due to technical problems, but Natalie was still at the conference.  It was great meeting her and hearing about her film, and I can't wait until I can see it.

At first I wasn't sure if an academic U2 conference was my type of thing then figured I might regret it if I didn't check it out, and I am so glad I went.  Now I am hoping that there will be another someday and that lots of you will join us.

Hey Lauren, I am so happy you had such a great experience. Believe me if I did not have family obligations I would have been there! I did follow the up to the minute tweets on twitter. They were great and at least I felt a part of things in some small way. I also ordered the cool tee shirt!  8)

I really just wanted to say thanks for mentioning Agnes Nayamayarwo! She is a personal hero of mine and I have been working for her cause for a little while now. I am so happy so many other people got to hear her story from Bono and Agnes herself! We have a thread here in Real World section called Have a Heart for Africa if you are at all interested in learning more about her incredible work.

Perhaps I will get to meet you at the next Conference! ;)

Offline gypsyheart75

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 01:07:46 PM »
The U2 Conference in Raleigh was totally awesome. It was great to spend a weekend with the faithful and the event was really well organised. It's not many times in your life that you get to go to a U2 Concert, and then come back to a hotel where a group of other U2 nutters are staying, and discuss that concert and hang out, eating pizzas.  It was such a worthwhile experience on so many levels. I'm glad that I was there and got to meet the best group of women. I have no doubt that a special bond was formed that weekend between us.

For me, personally, the highlight of the weekend was the amount of support that I received when my documentary, 'Meet Me In the Sound' had to be pulled because of technological problems (thanks, Lauren for your kind words here). This project has had more than it's share of difficulties - just getting all the footage from around the world formatted into a standard and usable form has been a challenge. And then, when it was finished, it got stuck on a computer, and no techno-computer-expert-geek could tell me or my editor how to extract it. It was so disappointing that people didn't get a chance to see it just yet and I'm so sorry to have let anyone down.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 11:22:14 PM »
I don't think you let anyone down gypsyheart75. It was circumstances beyond your control. It seems like everyone who attended enjoyed meeting you and we are all looking forward to seeing your film when it is ready. U2 fans are a wonderful group of people for the most part. They are generous and supportive.  For me , I love the fans as much as the band!