Author Topic: What are the five worst U2 songs?  (Read 45449 times)

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
Re: What are the five worst U2 songs?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 05:50:45 AM »
some one actually said that last night on earth and desire are in the bottom 5? Hmmmmm.... And I don't think boots desrves to be there, not a great song, but we have ALL cranked it up on the speakers a few times, I know it. ;D

Offline bw

• Refugee
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
In no real order...

"In God's Country"...the only song, for me, that stops Joshua Tree from being perfect. It just doesn't fit well for me in the sequence of that album. And it gets too close to the Christian Rock line...
"New Year's Day"...at first release, I thought the song was okay. But it has been beaten to death and has worn out its shelf life with me, especially in the live act. I'm still surprised at the positive reaction it gets when played live...
"Magnificent"...sounds very U2-cliche to me. For me, the song is exceedingly dull...Would have much preferred "Mercy" - granted, I am a "Mercy" addict... ;)
"All Because of You"...why? Because I think it was one of the songs that made the final cut over "Mercy"... :)...
"In a Little While"...I think the music just doesn't work with my DNA. Lyrics are okay, but the music just drives me to hit skip...

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Always wear a safety belt!
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 10:01:43 AM »
1. Wild Honey: Like the tune, but the lyrics to me are just ridiculus. :(
2. Elvis Presley and America: Improvistion, and not very good musically
3. The Ocean: VERY boring
4. New York: Also VERY boring, though the drums are kind of cool.
5. Happiness is a Warm Gun: Cool tune, but the words make absolutely no sense.

Disclaimer: I like all of these songs, but out of all of U2's songs I find these ones the worst. Although they are probably better than a lot of other bands best songs.

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 10:52:33 AM »
whats with all the ripping on "Elvis Presley and America"?.  sheer stream of consciousness brilliance.  sure it was strung together in about one take, but it comes off as so brilliant for that.  always been one of my favorites and probably the only U2 song to truly influence my own music.

maybe try giving it a listen without knowing the title.

but here are what i think to be the worst 5 song:

1.  red light
2.  refugee
3.  pride
4.  magnificent
5.  love rescue me

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1. Wild Honey: Like the tune, but the lyrics to me are just ridiculus. :(
2. Elvis Presley and America: Improvistion, and not very good musically
3. The Ocean: VERY boring
4. New York: Also VERY boring, though the drums are kind of cool.
5. Happiness is a Warm Gun: Cool tune, but the words make absolutely no sense.

Disclaimer: I like all of these songs, but out of all of U2's songs I find these ones the worst. Although they are probably better than a lot of other bands best songs.

happiness is a warm gun is a cover so we probably can't count it, although they did a terrible job with it.  however, on popmart they incorporated the riff very nicely into miami.

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 12:14:45 PM »
Unknown Caller... 'Password.. You... Enter Here..' I don't understand how anyone can enjoy this? It's so cringeworthy. My favourite band, just making idiots of themselves here.

Grace.
Wild Honey.
Crazy tonight. Although the remix is great.
Not a fan of God Part II either.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2009, 12:53:40 PM »
I can't believe some folks think Magnificent is one of U2's worst songs  ??? It is a bit cliche, nostalgic almost, but it's still a great tune. As good as anything off TUF. My votes are:

Hawkmoon - It's just annoying sounding to me, particularly Bono's vocals.
Peace on Earth - The lyrics are shallow deep and it sounds quite cheesy.
4th of July - Not a "song" strictly speaking, but I don't think it serves a real purpose on the album in any case. Never been a fan of ambient interludes in albums.
The other 2 spots can go to anything off Boy apart from Electric Co, Out of Control, Into The Heart, An Cat Dubh or Stories For Boys. Can't be too critical of these; the band were pretty unschooled at this time.

If we were to include Passengers, a couple of songs from there would be in. They really stumbled over the line between madness and genius several times on that album. It's not often you see and album with such brilliant tunes as Miss Sarajevo, Slug and Your Blue Room next to Elvis Ate America and Plot 180.

Aarong

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 01:03:55 PM »
Hearland- Ugh. Makes me wanna pull my hair out
Somedays are better than others
October
Elvis Presley and America
And all of the Paggengers album except Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo

Offline MirrorballMoon

• Running to Stand Still
  • "Just wait until you get to Minneapolis!" - Bono
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 02:28:19 PM »
Wow, I like almost all the songs being listed on this thread!  Numb in particular is getting a bad rap.  It's supposed to sound repetitive and monotone, the protagonist is (drum roll please) numbed by all the rules and expectations listed in the lyrics!  I think it's brilliant, always have. 

The only U2 songs that I typically skip are: Miami, New York, Grace, and The Refugee.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 02:32:39 PM by MirrorballMoon »

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 02:44:51 PM »
THE FIVE WORST U2 SONGS*

1. "With A Shout (Jersusalem)" from OCTOBER
I shouldn't make a Jick-esque appeal-to-authority here, but c'mon: even the Edge said he'd rather not hear this again, and he's right: it's overblown, full of bluster, and it goes nowhere. The best thing you can say about it is probably that the intro has some nice drumming.

2. "A Man And A Woman" from HTDAAB
Just really, really MOR. When fans say that "Mercy" should be on the album, they've got a point - it'd be better than this, damnit.

3. "I Fall Down" from OCTOBER
Anonymous performances from Edge, Adam and Larry, finished with decidedly shoddy lyrics from Bono. The strain of making the album really showed here.

4. "Elvis Presley And America" from THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE
In which Bono manages to simply not be as enigmatic or interesting as Michael Stipe was on Reckoning.

5. "Grace" from ATYCLB
It's between this and "Yahweh", really. A member here once suggested that, on the basis of these songs, Bono had perhaps lost his faith, and neither really hold the strength, conviction or interest to suggest otherwise.
___

*I am actually objectively right about these, just so you know...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 02:46:25 PM by TraKianLite/VivaDavidoff »

Offline bw

• Refugee
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 03:17:59 PM »
That poster Aarong should be banned from this site for listing "Heartland".  ;)

I think that is one of the most beautiful, serenading songs the boys have produced. What a great experience it would be to hear that tune live...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 04:43:50 PM »
That poster Aarong should be banned from this site for listing "Heartland".  ;)

I think that is one of the most beautiful, serenading songs the boys have produced. What a great experience it would be to hear that tune live...

yeh I like 'Heartland' too.   

Offline lauren

• Wanderer
  • found grace inside a sound
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 05:21:04 PM »
Wow, I like a lot of these songs.

"In God's Country"...the only song, for me, that stops Joshua Tree from being perfect. It just doesn't fit well for me in the sequence of that album. And it gets too close to the Christian Rock line...
It may be a funny choice since I don't believe in god, but In God's Country is one of my favorites.

I like In a Little While (especially live), Wild Honey, Last Night on Earth, Heartland and Hawkmoon.  I prefer Desire live but the album version is still good.  Elevation has dumb lyrics but is a fun song and great in concert.  Grace has grown on me and as I recently wrote in another thread I now like Unknown Caller after seeing it live, though both still have some lyrics that annoy me.

I can't believe some folks think Magnificent is one of U2's worst songs  ??? It is a bit cliche, nostalgic almost, but it's still a great tune.
Well put.  I was disappointed at first because I thought a title like that set the bar very high, but I like the song a lot.  Really, how could I not like having Bono tell me that he was born to sing for me?

So my list - not counting b-sides, covers, or soundtracks (Passengers included):

1) Miami - dumb lyrics, not particularly interesting musically
2) Playboy Mansion - see above, plus annoying title
3) When I Look at the World - cheesy and boring
4 & 5) something from October - my least favorite of their albums and I don't listen to it enough to remember which songs I like least

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 05:39:25 PM »
in no particular order, imo

Fez-Being Born: just haven't been able to get into it  ???
With a shout: meh
Hawkmoon 269: like the idea but nope
Ito Okashi:  :-\

thats all i guess only 4  ;D

Actually, that's three. Ito Okashi is a Passengers song.  ;D

Well to take its place then:
Rejoice
 ;)

Offline UTDallas

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 06:09:02 PM »
Wow, Heartland and I Fall Down are two of my favorites, but I guess that's the point of this thread. So here's one of my least favorites -- sure to offend:

Bullet the Blue Sky

Absolutely terrible song. Everything about it is wrong. The music (if you can call it that) is an assault on my ears. All four of the guys are playing a different song. Bono's accent/snarl is obnoxious. The lyrics are bad, the whole thing sounds forced. Bono has been clear in stating that he deliberately wrote the song to present the "dark side" of America. I don't mind the politics of the song, in fact I share most of Bono's beliefs, but I think it's completely out of place on what is otherwise a beautiful and majestic album, one of the best of all time (by any artist).

Are there worse U2 songs out there? Sure. But this one's my least favorite because most U2 fans consider it one of their best.