Author Topic: What are the five worst U2 songs?  (Read 39063 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: What are the five worst U2 songs?
« Reply #390 on: March 10, 2017, 02:44:38 PM »
I never really loved her anyway.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #391 on: March 10, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Crazy tonight getting a lot of hate! The live version had a cool bass line...

The thing that really made me hate that song (aside from its crapness) was the story about how the title came about - a text from Andrea Corr. The lead singer from the blandest most un-rock n roll band in the world sent Bono a text that included the words 'I'll go crazy if I dont go crazy tonight'. Isn't that one of the saddest things you have ever heard?

Is that true?
I actually like the song, albeit it's quite contrived. I think that's intentional though.

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #392 on: March 11, 2017, 01:26:25 PM »

The thing that really made me hate that song (aside from its crapness) was the story about how the title came about - a text from Andrea Corr. The lead singer from the blandest most un-rock n roll band in the world sent Bono a text that included the words 'I'll go crazy if I dont go crazy tonight'. Isn't that one of the saddest things you have ever heard?

Is that true?
I actually like the song, albeit it's quite contrived. I think that's intentional though.

Def true.

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #393 on: March 11, 2017, 01:58:14 PM »
The Refugee. Bad OTT bombast.

Elvis Presley tune on UF. U2 can be good at atmospheric songs; this isn't one of those times.

Miami. Lyrics destroy a passable groove. Also, *the most boring guitar solo. The Edge can do better than that.

Some days are better than others. Lyrics destroy another nice groove. Good chorus at least, though.

Miracle Drug. Appreciate the message but Bono's delivery just doesn't do anything for me.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #394 on: March 11, 2017, 07:09:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Miami's "boring" guitar-solo is intended to be so. That would compliment the "lazy" delivery from Bono.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Refugee
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #395 on: March 13, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »
1. Get on Your Boots (f****** trainwreck)
2. Miami (somehow manages to be abrasive and boring)
3. Yahweh (paaainful)
4. Elvis Presley and America (overlong jibberish, and they had Love Comes Tumbling, come on)
5. All Along the Watchtower (just a boring cover of a great song)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #396 on: March 13, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »

Is that true?

Def true.

You know, that song SOUNDS like that's its inspiration.  It sounds, literally, like it's about a boring person who think's ordering a second glass of wine is "crazy"!  Quite possibly my least favorite U2 song ever, neck and neck with Unknown Caller.  For all of the flack GOYB gets, it's not even the worst song on the album.

Offline document

• Babyface
« Reply #397 on: March 21, 2017, 04:07:11 PM »
1) Babyface --- Thought this was an ode to the famous record producer, which never made any sense to me......

2) Lemon-- I have mixed feelings on this one, I do like the feel of the song and sometimes I do enjoy it, but it is such a disjointed song as I loth the section in the middle:
 "A man makes a picture /A moving picture /Through the light projected /He can see himself up close /A man captures color /A man likes to stare /He turns his money into light to look for her".....

3) Peace On Earth  -- I know that Rolling Stone magazine called All That You Can't Leave Behind, U2's third masterpiece, but I bet they never turned the record over, or stopped listening after Kite, because my whole list could come off the back half of this album. I feel like this song is the first draft to Wake Up Dead Man (one of U2's best) where Bono is testing his faith, however the lyrics are so elementry it doesn't feel truthful.... feels forced.

4) The Playboy Mansion - This is an easy one, Pop is one of my favorite albums, but the second half with this and Miami almost derail the album entirely for me, if it wasn't for If You Were That Velvet Dress or Wake Up Dead Man I probably would go off on Pop like the band does.... of course the song does get better after you get past the reference to Michael Jackson and OJ simpson.

5) New York, Miami, and California (There is No End To Love) TIED ---- now honestly I actually like the music of New York an enjoy most of California (why not, I love that U2 is finally singing about a place I live), but really can U2 stop singing about city's or places..... it's always best when they leave the places.... to "Where The Streets" or Cities have "Blinding Lights," and "No Name!"