Author Topic: What are the five worst U2 songs?  (Read 43184 times)

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: What are the five worst U2 songs?
« Reply #390 on: March 11, 2017, 01:26:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Crazy tonight getting a lot of hate! The live version had a cool bass line...

The thing that really made me hate that song (aside from its crapness) was the story about how the title came about - a text from Andrea Corr. The lead singer from the blandest most un-rock n roll band in the world sent Bono a text that included the words 'I'll go crazy if I dont go crazy tonight'. Isn't that one of the saddest things you have ever heard?

Is that true?
I actually like the song, albeit it's quite contrived. I think that's intentional though.

Def true.

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #391 on: March 11, 2017, 01:58:14 PM »
The Refugee. Bad OTT bombast.

Elvis Presley tune on UF. U2 can be good at atmospheric songs; this isn't one of those times.

Miami. Lyrics destroy a passable groove. Also, *the most boring guitar solo. The Edge can do better than that.

Some days are better than others. Lyrics destroy another nice groove. Good chorus at least, though.

Miracle Drug. Appreciate the message but Bono's delivery just doesn't do anything for me.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #392 on: March 11, 2017, 07:09:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Miami's "boring" guitar-solo is intended to be so. That would compliment the "lazy" delivery from Bono.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Refugee
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #393 on: March 13, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »
1. Get on Your Boots (f****** trainwreck)
2. Miami (somehow manages to be abrasive and boring)
3. Yahweh (paaainful)
4. Elvis Presley and America (overlong jibberish, and they had Love Comes Tumbling, come on)
5. All Along the Watchtower (just a boring cover of a great song)

Online Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #394 on: March 13, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »
Crazy tonight getting a lot of hate! The live version had a cool bass line...

The thing that really made me hate that song (aside from its crapness) was the story about how the title came about - a text from Andrea Corr. The lead singer from the blandest most un-rock n roll band in the world sent Bono a text that included the words 'I'll go crazy if I dont go crazy tonight'. Isn't that one of the saddest things you have ever heard?

Is that true?
I actually like the song, albeit it's quite contrived. I think that's intentional though.

Def true.

You know, that song SOUNDS like that's its inspiration.  It sounds, literally, like it's about a boring person who think's ordering a second glass of wine is "crazy"!  Quite possibly my least favorite U2 song ever, neck and neck with Unknown Caller.  For all of the flack GOYB gets, it's not even the worst song on the album.

Offline document

• Babyface
« Reply #395 on: March 21, 2017, 04:07:11 PM »
1) Babyface --- Thought this was an ode to the famous record producer, which never made any sense to me......

2) Lemon-- I have mixed feelings on this one, I do like the feel of the song and sometimes I do enjoy it, but it is such a disjointed song as I loth the section in the middle:
 "A man makes a picture /A moving picture /Through the light projected /He can see himself up close /A man captures color /A man likes to stare /He turns his money into light to look for her".....

3) Peace On Earth  -- I know that Rolling Stone magazine called All That You Can't Leave Behind, U2's third masterpiece, but I bet they never turned the record over, or stopped listening after Kite, because my whole list could come off the back half of this album. I feel like this song is the first draft to Wake Up Dead Man (one of U2's best) where Bono is testing his faith, however the lyrics are so elementry it doesn't feel truthful.... feels forced.

4) The Playboy Mansion - This is an easy one, Pop is one of my favorite albums, but the second half with this and Miami almost derail the album entirely for me, if it wasn't for If You Were That Velvet Dress or Wake Up Dead Man I probably would go off on Pop like the band does.... of course the song does get better after you get past the reference to Michael Jackson and OJ simpson.

5) New York, Miami, and California (There is No End To Love) TIED ---- now honestly I actually like the music of New York an enjoy most of California (why not, I love that U2 is finally singing about a place I live), but really can U2 stop singing about city's or places..... it's always best when they leave the places.... to "Where The Streets" or Cities have "Blinding Lights," and "No Name!"

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Numb
« Reply #396 on: April 29, 2017, 07:52:53 AM »
"Peace on Earth" and "When I Look at the World"---mostly just for the insipid lyrics.

Offline Achtung Ninja

• Babyface
« Reply #397 on: April 29, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »
"Peace on Earth" and "When I Look at the World"---mostly just for the insipid lyrics.

Cedars of Lebanon - I get the war-weary, combat correspondent point-of-view, but the lyrics and the melody is a miss for me. I usually skip this track.

Fast Cars - also a miss in the lyrics and melody. I usually skip this track, too.

Miami - same thing here. The beat is interesting, though.

Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - This song is missing something, but I don't know what. It feels incomplete and unfinished.

Your Blue Room - I tried to get into this song, but couldn't. This feels like leftover parts of other songs that were put together to make this song.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 04:17:59 PM by Achtung Ninja »

Offline Kmama07

• Numb
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #398 on: April 29, 2017, 03:28:46 PM »
Why oh why did I know the following songs would be mentioned in this thread-

Grace
Wild Honey
A Man and a Woman
Elvis Presley and America

LOL  ;D ;D ;D ;D   Like I said in another thread, I know the results before anyone posts.

For the record (once again) I will defend Wild Honey AND Grace until the day I die!  :P ;) :D
I'll say it : I also like Wild Honey. That makes two of us? Haha

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #399 on: April 29, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »

Grace
Wild Honey
A Man and a Woman

LOL  ;D ;D ;D ;D   Like I said in another thread, I know the results before anyone posts.

For the record (once again) I will defend Wild Honey AND Grace until the day I die!  :P ;) :D
I LOVE Elvis Presley and America!

Offline Kmama07

• Numb
  • She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #400 on: April 29, 2017, 04:00:26 PM »
IN no particular order...

Get on your boots
Vertigo
Elevation
Original of species
Man and a woman

( the first three on my list are always on my list. The last two on my list sometimes switch with a few SOI songs)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 04:31:52 PM by Kmama07 »

Offline Achtung Ninja

• Babyface
« Reply #401 on: April 29, 2017, 04:19:06 PM »

Grace
Wild Honey
A Man and a Woman

Make it three. :)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #402 on: April 29, 2017, 06:18:25 PM »
I think this will be my fourth collection of bad songs, but I'll go again anyway...

1. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - Bland and uninspired crap. Comes across as cheap and hollow-sounding garbage... because after all, it is a desperation attempt for a hit.

2. Elevation - Totally nonsensical and stupid lyrics... the intro includes a somewhat interesting sound from Edge's busted guitar pedal, but that is built off of horribly as the song ultimately culminates with Bono shouting the word Elevation repeatedly and "woohoo-ing" like a moron.

3. Vertigo - The awkward and chunked-in Spanish phrases are almost cringe-inducing... yet another example U2 unnecessarily filling in the blank spaces of their songs. This is also a song that Larry should most definitely shine on, an opportunity for him to blow us away. Unfortunately and predictably, his part is overshadowed by Edge and Bono because of yet another poor mix.

4. Song for Someone - Poor excuse for a U2 song. Horrible and amateurish lyrics, unmemorable guitar-part from Edge, almost nonexistent rhythm section... are we even sure that this song was made by U2? It sounds very pedestrian, even for post-2000s U2. For all we know, the instrumention could have been recorded by session musicians with Bono's vocals played over them... probably a leftover song from a scrapped Bono solo-project.

5. Yahweh - DREADFUL! This song is bad to begin with, but the absolutely atrocious production hurts it even more. Literally ear-piercing. As a plus, the lyrics are actually stupid they are so poorly written... it also includes The Edge's patented chime-guitar, thankfully! Now you can get your mom-rock on in style! Jam out wearing your mom jeans and 30 year-old Bon Jovi t-shirt... no offense if you're reading this, jick...

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #403 on: April 30, 2017, 03:34:49 AM »
A man and a woman is my least favorite.
Ordinary love is bland and vastly overrated

...Everything else makes sense and falls into place.

Offline Bonolove67

• Babyface
« Reply #404 on: May 03, 2017, 08:25:34 PM »
Helter Skelter
Desire
Hawkmoon269
Van Diemen's LandI can not think of a fifth