Author Topic: What are the five worst U2 songs?  (Read 44186 times)

Offline Hawkmoon255

• Babyface
Re: What are the five worst U2 songs?
« Reply #435 on: May 11, 2017, 10:11:43 AM »
Are we just talking album songs?  I mean, if we go to B-Sides and early and/or other material released here and there, it could get dicey b/c we're talking about stuff that - in SOME cases anyway, was considered not good enough or finished enough to "make the cut."  (That said, U2 does also have quite a bit of really good non-album material).  But for now I'll stick to album songs.

1.   If You Wear That Velvet Dress
2.   I want to leave the #2 slot empty just to accentuate the distance between the awfulness of Velvet dress and everything else.
3.   Volcano - A great man once said "Volcano's terrible!" on the @U2 podcasts.
4.   White As Snow (don't really HATE it entirely, per se, but it does little for me - it seems a bit out of place on a rock/pop album.  It's not even their tune (traditional hymn).  The lyrics are good, but I think they could have either released it some other way (B-Side), or used the lyrics for their own musical creation).
5.   Please  - this song has some great guitar work and I do like the ending, and I appreciate the lyrics, but it always sounds and feels SO stark and bleak - especially on Pop.  It's one of the few songs of theirs that I actually prefer the acoustic version.
6.  (I'll do a sixth one since I sort of cheated on #2 above).   Moment of Surrender.  I mean, it has some good parts, and I appreciate some things about it, and I get that they had an awesome and emotional studio experience with Eno and Lanois.  But I think this one is just vision over listenability.   It's so, creaky, unweildly, and sputtering, from Adam's bass, to Bono's singing.   I sort of "get it," but I don't really so much "like" it.  It's grown on me some, but it started from such a low point that it's still on this list.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #436 on: May 11, 2017, 12:10:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
5.   Please 

Shaking head in disbelief. Elevation and Crazy Tonight are better than these? Haha, OK. And Burger King is superior to Morton's!

Offline LovableLadFromLiverpool

• Babyface
« Reply #437 on: May 11, 2017, 01:00:05 PM »
Are we just talking album songs?  I mean, if we go to B-Sides and early and/or other material released here and there, it could get dicey b/c we're talking about stuff that - in SOME cases anyway, was considered not good enough or finished enough to "make the cut."  (That said, U2 does also have quite a bit of really good non-album material).  But for now I'll stick to album songs.

2.   I want to leave the #2 slot empty just to accentuate the distance between the awfulness of Velvet dress and everything else.
4.   White As Snow (don't really HATE it entirely, per se, but it does little for me - it seems a bit out of place on a rock/pop album.  It's not even their tune (traditional hymn).  The lyrics are good, but I think they could have either released it some other way (B-Side), or used the lyrics for their own musical creation).
5.   Please  - this song has some great guitar work and I do like the ending, and I appreciate the lyrics, but it always sounds and feels SO stark and bleak - especially on Pop.  It's one of the few songs of theirs that I actually prefer the acoustic version.
6.  (I'll do a sixth one since I sort of cheated on #2 above).   Moment of Surrender.  I mean, it has some good parts, and I appreciate some things about it, and I get that they had an awesome and emotional studio experience with Eno and Lanois.  But I think this one is just vision over listenability.   It's so, creaky, unweildly, and sputtering, from Adam's bass, to Bono's singing.   I sort of "get it," but I don't really so much "like" it.  It's grown on me some, but it started from such a low point that it's still on this list.
Wow, Moment of Surrender, Please and White As Snow are all great. Volcano's decent as well

Offline Hawkmoon255

• Babyface
« Reply #438 on: May 11, 2017, 01:13:13 PM »
5.   Please 

Shaking head in disbelief. Elevation and Crazy Tonight are better than these? Haha, OK. And Burger King is superior to Morton's!

It's a fair point about Please.  Underneath the version that I hear on the Pop album, there is a quality song there.  The acouistic version they played on the Elevation tour is good.  Maybe it's not fair for me to include that one.  But I've been listening to all the albums lately - in reverse order, and I got to Pop yesterday, and was reminded why, when it was released, Please so underwhelmed me at the time. 

Yes I can say I unreservedly like the song Elevation more than Please, but I have come to appreciate Please more than I used to, I just don't think they got it right on the album.  Velvet Dress, though?   Ugh.  I will say Velvet has a nice, delicate instrumental part in the bridge.  But otherwise it's a snooze-fest.  I can't see it as a pop/rock album piece -- but maybe it should have been on Passengers!!!

Offline Hawkmoon255

• Babyface
« Reply #439 on: May 11, 2017, 01:21:44 PM »
5.   Please 

Crazy Tonight has a few cringe-worthy moments in it, to be sure, but on the whole I can bear it much easier than Velvet or Volcano.  Snow, Please, and Surrender have more gravitas than Crazy Tonight, but gravitas not always the end-all-be-all.  I don't see Elevation as throw-away, but merely ecstatic.   I'd rather listen to Crazy Tonight than Surrender or Volcano, say 85-90% of the time.  And White As Snow is just, well, just something different altogether.  It's good as a film piece, as it was . . . but it's hard to then compare it to other album pop/rock songs.   I mean, to me, it's a bit like asking - "what's better, "MLK" or "Vertigo."   Well, MLK is a beautiful piece, and serves as a nice interlude, both sonically and thematically and sure it has more gravitas than Vertigo - but is it really in the same category as a fully structured song that gets the full-treatment of a pop song?   It's just almost an unfair comparison I guess.

Online WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #440 on: May 11, 2017, 03:31:10 PM »

What's wrong with bleakness? Pop wouldn't be Pop without Please or Velvet Dress... those are two extremely great songs that add to the moody and dark-ambience of the latter half of the album. Pop is U2's wildest journey of a record. Like Bono said, it starts at a party and ends at a funeral! Never has an acoustic U2 song been better than its original version.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #441 on: May 11, 2017, 07:16:13 PM »
Strongly disagree about "Volcano" and "Moment of Surrender".  Each are complex and require multiple listens to appreciate the nuances, esp. MOS.  It's especially attractive to those who like impressionistic painting and subtleties in general.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #442 on: May 11, 2017, 07:22:08 PM »
Stranger in a Strange Land is in my bottom 5. 

It's a big letdown after the killer opening riff.  Most wasted potential.  Forgivable since they were young.  Still a bad song.

Offline Clarky

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #443 on: May 15, 2017, 04:46:04 PM »
Grace
Boots
All Because of You
Miami
Yahweh

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #444 on: May 17, 2017, 06:01:58 PM »
Heres my top (or bottom, as it were) three...
Stuck in a moment... gawd that one is a stinker.
Refugee
Trying to throw your arms

Offline Hawkmoon255

• Babyface
« Reply #445 on: May 18, 2017, 09:39:43 AM »

What's wrong with bleakness? Pop wouldn't be Pop without Please or Velvet Dress... those are two extremely great songs that add to the moody and dark-ambience of the latter half of the album. Pop is U2's wildest journey of a record. Like Bono said, it starts at a party and ends at a funeral! Never has an acoustic U2 song been better than its original version.

I have no problem with thematic bleakness, but "Please" to my ears, is a bit too sonically and emotionally bleak in it's sound.  Not that you want a difficult theme to be thrown into a happy/up tempo sound, but, I like the yearning gravitas of the acoustic version better.  The production on Please just sounds unaesthetic to me.   Harsh.

Offline 73October

• Party Girl/Boy
  • A hurricane being born
« Reply #446 on: May 22, 2017, 11:26:16 AM »
None - there are none that I hate.  There are some not as good as others, but I wouldn't call them worst.

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #447 on: May 22, 2017, 02:32:20 PM »
In no particular order, Babyface, Unknown Caller, and Wild Honey are the only major album songs I don't at least like. 

Really surprised someone picked Please, which is easily in my top five all time.  It's probably my favorite live track overall.  I think you must have a heart of stone if you're not weeping by the end.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #448 on: May 25, 2017, 12:28:24 PM »
Grace
Boots
All Because of You
Miami
Yahweh
I'll take this list, but drop ABOY and add Volcano.

Grace and Yahweh have always been meh. Boots and Volcano are just bad. Miami is at the "top" of my worst list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rising Sun

• Stateless
« Reply #449 on: May 28, 2017, 09:49:18 AM »
Original Of The Species
Yahweh
Stand Up Comedy
I'll Go Crazy
All Because Of You

Breathe
Cedarwood Road